masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
froggiebunbun said:
Masterswimmer, I think it's a neat idea. :icon16:
I like the clean look shielding the equipment...despite the potential issues of coral placement. Get some more branching rocks to resolve the coral placement issue but I'm sure you'll think of somethiing clever! Good job and keep us updated. :smokin:

Thanks froggie. I've got a 75 with a lot of sps in it right now, very matured. The placement of coral is a funny thing. When they are placed in a way that we consider 'improper', they grow to the source of light in a way that makes it look very natural. Reef walls in the wild aren't always placed the way we'd see them in a lagoon or a reef crest. Storms and surges will constantly break off pieces of coral and deposit them in the most unlikely spot for them to grow, and yet they will still manage to re-form themselves for survival.

Besides, if it doesn't work, I'll have lots of frags for friends! :)

Russ

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Also, I used to have that same tank mounted coral life HQI. A way to deal with the corals not getting enough light is maybe placing the fixture a little forward at more of an angle pointing towards the backwall instead of downwards so much. Since the tank mounted neck and bridge are so adjustable, it should be no problem. However, you fixture is going to look like it's bowing down to you everytime when you stand in front of the tank...lol.... Just a suggestion. Good luck.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Kris, I'm using a 150w HQI MH with a 20k bulb right now. I already purchased a Pheonix 14k, just in case.

Hey, bigger and better have failed. Without trying something different we'd still be using plenums and undergravel filters with nice colored gravel substrates.

I'm always up for a challenge. I really appreciate the feedback. It does give me some ideas for alternative ways to handle problems that might arise. I won't know exactly what those problems are upfront, but it's nice to have a potential solution already.

Russ

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
masterswimmer said:
Thanks froggie. I've got a 75 with a lot of sps in it right now, very matured. The placement of coral is a funny thing. When they are placed in a way that we consider 'improper', they grow to the source of light in a way that makes it look very natural. Reef walls in the wild aren't always placed the way we'd see them in a lagoon or a reef crest. Storms and surges will constantly break off pieces of coral and deposit them in the most unlikely spot for them to grow, and yet they will still manage to re-form themselves for survival.

Besides, if it doesn't work, I'll have lots of frags for friends! :)

Russ
:yeah: no matter what, your tanks gonna be unique. :knockedou

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
froggie, GREAT idea. I will be able to handle that. I'm in the process of constructing a maple bowed hood for the tank. Will hide the equipment so the wife doesn't toss me and the tank into the street side by side.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
nanoreefer22 said:
LMAO!! Post some pics of the canopy..interested in seeing how you do that.
-Kris

I definitely will. I had to get this up and running before the holidays. The empty tank and accompanying accessories didn't fit the decor :shocked1: . The hood is not started yet, but will be a good winter (read, indoor) project. Will most likely start after the new year.

You're good Kris. I like the forethought you've got. Challenging! :knockedou

Russ

gforce6

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Very clever and well prepared, Russ

I can't wait to this tank up and running. Can you also post some picture of your other tank?

I have question about rare earth magnet. Can you tell me the shape, size, and force of each magnet? I am thinking make my own magnet holder for power head. What would you suggest for half inch thickness glass with maxijet 1200.

Thank you

Jung

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
gforce6 said:
Very clever and well prepared, Russ

I can't wait to this tank up and running. Can you also post some picture of your other tank?

I have question about rare earth magnet. Can you tell me the shape, size, and force of each magnet? I am thinking make my own magnet holder for power head. What would you suggest for half inch thickness glass with maxijet 1200.

Thank you

Jung

Thank you Jung. The rare earth magnets come in a plethora of shapes and sizes. Here's a link to the site I get them from. I use the DC6 for my applications:

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DC6&cat=10

Search the site for the appropriate magnets for you. The SEIO is a lot bigger and heavier than a MJ 1200. I would use a smaller magnet. Just make sure you keep the magnet on the holder you mod away from the impeller. As you can see I HEAVILY coated only the magnets that went inside the tank with 100% silicone (not necessary to coat the outside ones). I also took about a week to do it. I coated it about 3 times all the way around. Obviously you can't coat all sides at once, so it took time to do it properly. If you have any other Q's about it, please feel free to ask.

Here's a shot of my other tank (but only one. Don't want to hijack my own thread):

wideangle.jpg

Russ

DRZL

**ROCKSTAR**
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
looks familiar,
gotta stop posting these old pics and tank new ones :p
FTS1.jpg

lol...very nice! nice to see a fellow BFer "pushing" the creative mind. BTW did you drill into the rocks?

sweet stuff

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
the year of planning was worth it, that tank looks great!
I kind of want to see it done in a larger tank now :)

I can't wait to see it filled with frags and growing :D

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
masterswimmer said:
Well here it is, finally!!!!! You wanted water:

ReefwalluplightsskimmerPHon.jpg
WOW that is a great tank you set up! I really like the rock wall look, so cool. Please keep us updated on pictures as you place corals in there.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
masterswimmer said:
I definitely will. I had to get this up and running before the holidays. The empty tank and accompanying accessories didn't fit the decor :shocked1: . The hood is not started yet, but will be a good winter (read, indoor) project. Will most likely start after the new year.

You're good Kris. I like the forethought you've got. Challenging! :knockedou

Russ

Thanks Russ :D

The big tank looks great!! Thanks for the info on the lighting.

-Kris

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
DRZL, wow, you're right, it does look familiar. Beautiful tank. What are the specs? How 'old' is it? I like!!

gforce6, Thanks again. And you're welcome for the magnet info. If you need any more assistance with them, just PM me.

jhale, You're too kind. Thank you. That was one helluva year thinking about it. I kept coming up with new (different) ways to do this. At times I was agonizing over it. I knew what I wanted the end result to look like, getting there was driving me crazy. :banghead:

solbby, Thanks. I'll keep updating the site with pix as I go along.....until everyone says stop already.

Jim, thank you. By the time you get here I hope to have at least a coral in there :sigh1: . Just from the length of time it took me to plan you can tell I tend to overthink sometimes. Sometimes it works and sometimes, it just wasn't meant to be.

ulmo Thank you for the kind words.

Kris, that's it? No challenge this time :joke: . Last night when I started this thread it was late. When you got done with me I was up for another hour just rethinking things and 'wondering'. By the time I got to bed it was 3am. :sleepy: . Thanks for the witty banter and the compliments.

Russ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: