Status
Not open for further replies.

hydrozzz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you read the entire thing?

His first mandarin starved to death in a month even though he was culturing pods.
so what ur telling me is...stick to the books, have a boring aquarium( wait i should just throw this 1 away) get a 75 gal and never have fun as an experienced hobbiest??? never try something that hasnt been done?? fun times!!!:irked:

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
No... what I'm telling you is this...

Educate yourself on the fish before you put it in a tank. (You swore it wasn't a mandarin a few days ago). Cycle the tank properly (this means more than 3 days). If you still decide to try this, start culturing pods BEFORE getting the fish.

hydrozzz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No... what I'm telling you is this...

Educate yourself on the fish before you put it in a tank. (You swore it wasn't a mandarin a few days ago). Cycle the tank properly (this means more than 3 days). If you still decide to try this, start culturing pods BEFORE getting the fish.
thanks mom, but u didnt start that way and u dont know what research ive done and who ive talked to about this. if this was my first tank i could understand your point..u have no idea the education i have in aquariums nor do i know yours..i know my tank and my methods

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
u didnt start that way and u dont know what research ive done and who ive talked to about this. if this was my first tank i could understand your point..u have no idea the education i have in aquariums nor do i know yours..i know my tank and my methods

Actually I did start that way. I bought a library worth of books and researched online for over a year before I bought a tank. I've experimented with out of the norm things and will do it again, but every time I've done my research first. Prior to buying an eel, I bought a book on them, same with clownfish, clams, seahorses, etc.

No I don't have any idea what research you've done, but I know that someone who claims to have done research should know that their "spotted goby" is a mandarin.

So how exactly did you do so much research on this if YOU DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THE FISH WAS?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
so what ur telling me is...stick to the books, have a boring aquarium( wait i should just throw this 1 away) get a 75 gal and never have fun as an experienced hobbiest??? never try something that hasnt been done?? fun times!!!:irked:

Unfortunately starving Mandarins to death has happened way too many times before. Not something new.

Are you aware that once a Mandarin begins to starve to death, even if you put a million pods into the tank, the Mandarin will probably NOT begin to eat again..and die.

Are you aware that a Mandarin requires 200-400 pods per DAY to survive?

anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
are you SERIOUS, THAT IS CRAZY wow I am never getting one nore do I want one, thank you for totaly popping that out of my head Kathy. I did not know that.

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=400><TBODY><TR><TD height=5 width=5>
forumbox_top_left.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND: url(http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/images/misc/forumbox_top_tile.gif)" height=5>
forumbox_top_tile.gif
</TD><TD height=5 width=6>
forumbox_top_right.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="BACKGROUND: url(http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/images/misc/forumbox_left_tile.gif)" width=5>
forumbox_left_tile.gif
</TD><TD class=forumbox><TABLE class=alt1 border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=tcat colSpan=2 align=left>Synchiropus splendidus-Mandarin </TD></TR><TR><TD style="BACKGROUND: #ffffff" vAlign=top align=middle>
Pterosynchiropus_splendidus2_thumb.jpg
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND: #ffffff; COLOR: #000000" align=left>Synchiropus splendidus-Mandarin
Dragonets

Dragonets are great reef fish, but they have special food requirements and unless you can supply them with live pods, most don’t make it. Some will start to eat brine shrimp, Spectrum Pellets or flake food, but most don’t and even those that do it’s usually not enough to keep them alive. They can be kept in tanks as small as 40gals with plenty of rock work and a good pods population. You can keep more than one in a tank but two males will fight. Males have an elongated first dorsal spine, whereas the female's is short and squarer looking. They have been breed in the aquarium with the male and female facing each other and then spiraling up towards the water surface. This usually happen late in the day or at night. Basically if you can’t supply them with a large population of live pods, you should think of not adding one to your reef tank.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD style="BACKGROUND: url(http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/images/misc/forumbox_right_tile.gif)" width=6>
forumbox_right_tile.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD height=6 width=5>
forumbox_bottom_left.gif
</TD><TD style="BACKGROUND: url(http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/images/misc/forumbox_bottom_tile.gif)" height=6>
forumbox_bottom_tile.gif
</TD><TD height=6 width=6>
forumbox_bottom_right.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>gal_register('gal_148_766432', '1', '1', '0', '0', '0');</SCRIPT>

hydrozzz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I did start that way. I bought a library worth of books and researched online for over a year before I bought a tank. I've experimented with out of the norm things and will do it again, but every time I've done my research first. Prior to buying an eel, I bought a book on them, same with clownfish, clams, seahorses, etc.

No I don't have any idea what research you've done, but I know that someone who claims to have done research should know that their "spotted goby" is a mandarin.

So how exactly did you do so much research on this if YOU DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THE FISH WAS?
by start that way i meant talking to me

hydrozzz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately starving Mandarins to death has happened way too many times before. Not something new.

Are you aware that once a Mandarin begins to starve to death, even if you put a million pods into the tank, the Mandarin will probably NOT begin to eat again..and die.

are you aware of the type of mandarin i have and what it survives on?
http://www.saltwaterfishshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=469

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0

hydrozzz

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I am. It's a Synchiropus picturatus, and the care and feeding requirements are the same as the Pterosynchiropus splendidus, or common green mandarin goby.

It survives on copepods, regardless of what the site above tells you. You obviously haven't done enough research on this fish, or the nitrogen cycle.
i live 6 miles from the gulf...ill go throw him in there

kaOzGrUnT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Well, everyone thought the earth was flat for many years until a "lunatic" said it wasn't and now we have satellite pictures to prove its round. Everyone in the reef community follows what they read from "experienced" or previous reef keepers, the way to improve or find new ways is to experiment, you will always experience loss and gains.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Hydrozzz, do what you have to do but at the end just be truthful and if the fish or anything else dies just be honest about it and let us know.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
This thread caught my eye because of the size of the tank, for MANY years I was told you couldn't keep a reef aquarium under 50 gallons, and now a days I see them in 10 Gal. (how would we know that if not by experimenting?)<o:p></o:p>

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
even with that reefpods and phytoplankton. adding that stuff to a six gallon tank just to feed that mandarin may be disastrous. reefpod solution and phytoplankton are high in phosphate nitrate and other things, and will foul the water in a 6 gallon tank really quickly. be careful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: