masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
How long has your tank been setup? As the tank matures the sandbed will settle down. New sandbeds have more of a tendency to get blown around. As the good bacteria settles into the sandbed it creates some stability.

Russ

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I started the tank in the beginning of October. I know there's polarized viewpoints on barebottom and sand-bed tanks. My train of thought is that w/o sand, just a one less thing to clean, upkeep...however, i'll be losing out on some of the benefits. Plust, I was thinking that if I want to go BB then I should do now then later when my corals grow out. I don't know....just having itchy fingers and can't sit still, I guess.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
October is still a very young tank. I am not an advocate of deep sandbeds, but shallow sandbeds, under 2" I think are fine.

Nassarius snails (providing you have enough of them) are great for stirring the sandbed. I find they respond best when I feed the tank cyclopeeze and DT's Oyster Eggs.

JMO of course. There are many ways to do things right in this hobby, so any one opinion is just that, an opinion.

Good luck,
Russ

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
froggiebunbun said:
My train of thought is that w/o sand, just a one less thing to clean, upkeep...however, i'll be losing out on some of the benefits.

Wrong. You'll still have a siphon any detritus that doesn't enter your HOB.

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Yeah daenos, I know you have to syphon the detiritus up, but syphoning up stuff on a BB vs a sandbed with sand flying everywhere seems a lot easier. Does the detritus from a BB smell like rotten eggs like the build up in a sandbed?

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
So I'm fearing that its a build-up of sulfide as DRZL mentioned in nanoreef22's tank thread. I have a SSB and honestly, I dont want to be replenishing the sand every so often. DRZL is scaring me....

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
My SSB is just about 2 yrs old now. More life in it than ever. When I siphon out spots of detritus I siphon small amounts of sand too. Haven't added any back in either. So far it's been great and looks more natural, IMO.

Russ

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I just really like this pic :knockedou
IMG_0576.jpg

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
yeah josh i gotta get some hermits and turbos...if anyone has lmk!
damn im bored...so took some pics!

Attachments

• IMG_0591.JPG
    IMG_0591.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_0595.JPG
    IMG_0595.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_0610.JPG
    IMG_0610.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_0625.JPG
    IMG_0625.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 200
Rating - 100%
90   0   0
You really have a great tank. Take it easy and enjoy it. Exerperiment slowly to determine what you don't need to do and still keep the tank at the same level.

This is a success story.

The rocks are fine, but I think with more hermits and snails they may turn white and eventually purple.

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Well I went to H20 this week and got myself a purple firefish....couldn't help it.
Anyways, got bored and made a video. Check the snail crawling up and down to the music, lol...he stole the show.

VIDEO LINK

View My Video

Attachments

• IMG_0653.JPG
    IMG_0653.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_0660.JPG
    IMG_0660.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Week of January 16, 2006

Ok...will post full tank shot tomorrow. In the mean time, enjoy some pics of the pink zoa's from Ronen. They're still opening up.

:flirt:

Attachments

• IMG_0762.JPG
    IMG_0762.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0764.JPG
    IMG_0764.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0768.JPG
    IMG_0768.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0769.JPG
    IMG_0769.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: