Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
33 Gallon Rimless Tank [Glass Cages]
1/2 inch glass.
Eurobraced 1/2 inch glass on bottom of the tank as well
36L x 18 x 12high
Corner Overflow with two holes drilled.

The tank and sump is brand new, i got it from someone that planned the build but backed out for financial and school reasons.

Approximately 17 gallon Custom Sump
24L X 12 X 13 1/2H

Custom stand, didnt end up using the black stand.

Hello, nice tank. I was going to order the same tank and I still might. But, are you sure its only 33 gallons. I ask this because from Glasscages website it indicates from the measurements you listed that your tank is actually a 40 gallon Long rimless.

Did you get the starphire glass?

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Funny you say they posted it as a 40 long. Guy I bought it off of stated it was 33.

Just some things to note. The silicone work is sloppy. And they made the overflow huge.

It is 36x18x12h

A 30 breeder is 36 3/16 x18 1/4 x12 5/16th
A 40 breeder is 36x18x16

So I'm still sticking with the 30ish statement!

Last edited:

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Funny you say they posted it as a 40 long. Guy I bought it off of stated it was 33.

Just some things to note. The silicone work is sloppy. And they made the overflow huge.

It is 36x18x12h

A 40 breeder is 36x18x16

So to me I'm thinking it's a 30ish. Can anyone else chime in?
According to the MR calculator it is 34g minus the space your overflow takes up ;)

Uptown193

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It is 36x18x12h

A 40 breeder is 36x18x16

So to me I'm thinking it's a 30ish. Can anyone else chime in?

Oh ok I see. I think the guy you bought it from didn't even know. If Glasscage has it as a 40 then you got yourself a 40. However, when you fill her up you will surely find out what you got, just make a record of the gallons you put in. Also, if anything, you got a better deal on your tank than you thought. lol.

Yea I heard they do sloppy work but can be somewhat clean up after a few hours of silicone trimming.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
The tank will finally be up tomorrow morning.

I Spent almost 4 hours cleaning my 75lbs or so of sand. The smell was ruthless when i opened the bucket earlier. It had been in a 10gal bucket since saturday. I had planned to have the tank set up last sunday but couldn't. I had to strain it and continiously rinse it over and over. There was literally hundreds of dead nas snails and tiny ceriths. This sand was from a 5 yr old system. When I say hundreds I mean it. Hours of work - next time I'll just buy new sand. back is sore and my house stinks lol.

I was going to leave it for the cycle but didn't want to risk having that smell present for any longer

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Couldn't set up the tank today but the plumbing and light kit is all done.

Just want to say thanks to Richie for the help. I couldn't have done it without him considering he did it ALL.

We had so many issues but Richie worked his magic and everything is done. Still have some odds and ends to finish but coming along nicely.

Some of the issues:

Bulk heads too small with a possibility of leaking. [glasscages made huge holes for sm. ass bulkheads. The orings were almost the same size as the holes and we didn't want to risk a leak. Solution: We had to replace the bulkheads with different sizes which changed the whole approach on the plumbing.

Return pump would not fit in the sump as planned. The return chamber was built with a 3inch width...Solution: Drilled the sump, added a bulkhead and plumbed my eheim to work as an external pump. which i could not have been happier about. Less heat, less vibration.

Stand Had to be altered to fit the Plumbing. Also realized that since my tank is rimless and built a certain way that we need to skin the top of my stand so the tank sits on a platform with 3/4inch plywood and foam to balance the tank correctly. Solution: So here i am staining the edges of the plywood at midnight on Xmas eve! lol hopefully it will all be dried and polyd by sunday. Maybe add a trim. not sure yet. aggravated lol

Light tree: seems like it comes out to far. it was mounted correctly but it seems like its going to leave my fixture off center. My tank is 18 inches and it seems like the center will be at the front edge of my tank. What are these things made for 36inch deep tanks? Solution: DONT KNOW

Return LOCKLINE wasn't going to sit flush Solution: dremel out so it will sit flush with the tank height for aesthetic reasons. Still want to tee off the lockline into 2.

All in all i couldn't be happier
Tank should be up soon

Some pictures

That tv will be mounted this week and the dresser is going to be moved to a different secton

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Ok so the tank is up and running.

A lot of issues like with all tanks. The overflow that glasscages sent with this tank kept the waterline literally less than a half inch from the top because the overflow weirs were too high. Also had an issue with the tank not being perfectly level so i added some shims. I had to make the weirs lower in order to keep the water line a little over an inch.

Also installed a ball valve in the return because it was way to powerful.

Added Sand, Saltwater and a heater. Let it run all day

Rock will be added tonight or tomorrow!

If anyone was wondering this is directly infront of my bed lol.. that dresser will be removed. Tv will be mounted and i will add a top off reservoir and supply matching stand.

tank-1.jpg
sump-1.jpg

Pictures will be replaced with high res in a few days. these are just to get them up.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: