evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
sick tank! that much put into the tank. why didn't you opt for an LED setup? wave of the future. i'm thinking of going MH or LED so i need some reasoning for choices behind the two.

h2o

Wanna be clown fish pimp
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Thanks Guys , I want this tank to look like a salt water pandora :)in the near future, got the idea from that movie avatar , so Im keeping it mixed reef sps,lps,some mushrooms and anything that looks out of this world :) I wanted to go LED but im not 100% sure that i would get the same intense growth from them so i went with a ATI light that has been proven to work great on sps tanks as far as color and growth its just what i need

h2o

Wanna be clown fish pimp
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Thanks, Can anyone help me set up a GEO 618 calcium reactor would like someone experienced to do it for me or can anyone recomend a person thats good with this stuff ?

batt600

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
27   3   0
Thanks, Can anyone help me set up a GEO 618 calcium reactor would like someone experienced to do it for me or can anyone recomend a person thats good with this stuff ?

Just do the balling light method you will get better growth and stable alk mag and cal levels plus trace elements . A cal reactor is to unpredictable all you need is that one time the ph probe stops working or the efflute tube gets cloged and boom you just crashed your tank. Its better to have controll of what your dosing then have somthing else control it for you .

h2o

Wanna be clown fish pimp
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Just do the balling light method you will get better growth and stable alk mag and cal levels plus trace elements . A cal reactor is to unpredictable all you need is that one time the ph probe stops working or the efflute tube gets cloged and boom you just crashed your tank. Its better to have controll of what your dosing then have somthing else control it for you .

Thanks i guess i can do manual dosing 4 now, i also like to be safe then sorry

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0

That is the reason why I dont use a ph probe with my reactor. You do not need a ph probe to use a calcium reactor. I have been running mine for over two years without a glitch. Regarding the effluent tube getting clogged that has never happened to me either. I replace my tubes once a year. The key to a calc reactor is understanding the basic principle of it and how to manipulate it. Not very hard guys. Co2 rate and drip/flow rate. Balling light is a great method just dont hate on a tried and true method that has many advantages as well.

h2o

Wanna be clown fish pimp
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
i recently set up my geo, its pretty hard to tune unless you got a nice regulator... electronic regulators comes to mind. Also, disasters can happen with anything that is automated, it's a matter of having extra failsafes to reduce the possibility of occurrence.

I toatlly agree with u , me not having a controller on the tank yet leaves it that much more room for error

batt600

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
27   3   0
I toatlly agree with u , me not having a controller on the tank yet leaves it that much more room for error

Theres only one down fall for not having a controller if your media not at the right PH you can turn it to mush and still cause a crash after that .Had reactor in the past no mater what you do somthing alway goes wrong with a calcium reactor if you do a search on this site you will find alot of people had crashed do to there reactors failing and rasing alk sky high .

h2o

Wanna be clown fish pimp
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Theres only one down fall for not having a controller if your media not at the right PH you can turn it to mush and still cause a crash after that .Had reactor in the past no mater what you do somthing alway goes wrong with a calcium reactor if you do a search on this site you will find alot of people had crashed do to there reactors failing and rasing alk sky high .

yes i have seen some of those treads thats why im having second thoughts about doing it on my own

I know u run bio pellets on your tank im also looking into it, will a regular media reactor from two little fishes be enough ? or i need something bigger ?

batt600

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
27   3   0
yes i have seen some of those treads thats why im having second thoughts about doing it on my own

I know u run bio pellets on your tank im also looking into it, will a regular media reactor from two little fishes be enough ? or i need something bigger ?

I heard thay work with the pellets but you will need 2 of them for that tank. flow is the key with the pellets

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0

Media turning to mush is the result of A LOT of co2 not a little. Use the large Arm media and get a bubble counter. Listen guys at the end of the day I love bolth methods. I use a reactor on my large system which is roughly 600 gallons and I dose on my small system 125. I love them bolth. On a larger system calcium reactors really shine.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: