• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

MarvinsReef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Marv!

The tank is all set up - but my water is a bit cloudy still due to the sand. I didn't rinse it thorough enough. Hopefully the skimmer can clear this up. It'll be a month or two till I begin stocking the tank - right now I'm trying to boost my coraline algae.. anyone got coraline to sell LOL

i'll need it in powder form!
shouldn't take that long to clear up the water. maybe a filter sock or two will help. :)

Hungriee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
shouldn't take that long to clear up the water. maybe a filter sock or two will help. :)

LOl u were right man!.

i threw in two socks to help w/ the skimmer today its crystal clear. Now gotta cycle - cant wait to add fish :inlove:

Marv, you've been successful with anthias - which ones you think are best for my size tank? i need something easy though yet colorful.

Hungriee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
very nice ....can never go wrong with a nice cube tank....looks great ...nice clean job....

Thanks man. I'm really liking the cube size more and more - getting imaginative w/ the fish and coral setups. Originally I was going to only do LPS and zoas - but I'm thinking of adding some SPS. Ive been browsing and see some real nice sps tanks .. those colorful sticks would compliment my cliffhangs in my scape im thinking.

What type of fish swims middle to top of the tank? I need some fish that's active - nothing that hides all day.

Hungriee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
anyone got thoughts on BioPellets? I've heard some good news on these and wanted to give it a try. With a new tank setup thats currently cycling - should I set up the biopellets now or should i stock w/ livestock w/ a bioload to begin the bacterial startup?

Hungriee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
i think i got too much flow or too fine sand? my tank is clear one day then another day its cloudy bc of sandstorms - i got cool looking sand dunes tho ;)

Hungriee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I got a bottle of simple blend - man that stuff STINKS lol

I'm hoping the bacteria colonizes fast so the sand would stop making sand dunes and causing the water column to cloud up.

Look what I found in my tank -

Attachments

• worm.JPG
    worm.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 412

Hungriee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
These two weeks been busy, special blend worked out great. My tank cycled smoothly. I transitioned my fish first and all is well.

* Hippo Tang (2 yrs old) I bought him at 1" and now he's approximately 3"
* 2x False Perc (these guys were tiny) and now they are like a pair, always following each other around
* Pajama Cardinal (the oldest fish - 3 yrs old) My very first fish and the longest lived so far

Unfortunately, my corals didn't transition well. I moved my tub of LPS and zoas. All my chalices died during the transition except for 2 pieces and most of my acan frags didn't make it as well. Alot of my zoas melted.

I wasn't sure what caused it but I did have an outbreak of hair algae on my frags in the rubbermaid holding tub.

Now the cleanup crew is in action for the remaining alive corals. So far I picked up 25 golf ball size turbos these guys are monstrous. I'm thinking about some hermits but in my previous exp these guys eat up all my snails LOL

Hungriee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I picked up a Carpenters wrasse. It's been 4 days but I don't see him swimming in the tank? is this normal. The only time i see him to make sure he's still alive is in the morning, I see him burried in the sand and I see his head peaking out, but at night he's not at the same spot but next morning i see him there again LOL.

this fish is playing hide and seek.

Hungriee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Cube tank owners -- help! How do you position your powerheads to provide good flow? I run 2 koralia evos 1400 and 2 vortechs. I run my vortech at 40% on reefcrest, any higher my sand is flying and ends up into my sump.

I currently position the powerheads all on the back wall, and pointing forward to the glass - 1/4 of the water surface is developing a film?

WiLL2c

Large Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
My tank is much smaller than yours, a 34 cube, i have one Koralia 2 in the back right corner blowing toward the front left corner about 1 inch below water line straight across with no angle. this seems to work for me, no film anywhere, and flow is good throughout the tank including return.....big difference in size tanks though

is there any angle to your powerheads? try pointing upward a little or straight across...my tank developed a small film in the corner when i pointed it downward.

Last edited:

Hungriee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I have the koralias on the corner of the back. Each Koralia points upward. They are bout 5" below the water line. The Vortechs I have one in the middle and one on the top back wall (mid right side) - both facing the front of the tank running reefcrest 40%.

I get a little of a sandstorm on the vortechs still so still fiddling w/ the speed. Im thinking of moving the koralias higher to ripple the surface more?

WiLL2c

Large Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I have the koralias on the corner of the back. Each Koralia points upward. They are bout 5" below the water line. The Vortechs I have one in the middle and one on the top back wall (mid right side) - both facing the front of the tank running reefcrest 40%.

I get a little of a sandstorm on the vortechs still so still fiddling w/ the speed. Im thinking of moving the koralias higher to ripple the surface more?

i have a bit of a ripple affect and it work perfectly for me very little though....not too much (i dont like alot of ripple but thats me) i think moving the koralias up a bit will help try it

Hungriee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
i came home and I'm like wth? What are the fungias doing LOL

I have no clue how the green one got on top of the purple one.

* i wish I knew how to rotate the pic lol

Attachments

• photo-20.JPG
    photo-20.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 427

Hungriee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
been awhile since i really updated.

I've stocked up my tank with some fish and corals. im not good w/ pictures so the iphone does it for now lol

Attachments

• photo-22.JPG
    photo-22.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 412
  • photo-23.JPG
    photo-23.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 416
  • photo-24.JPG
    photo-24.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 407
  • photo-25.JPG
    photo-25.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 409
  • photo-26.JPG
    photo-26.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 407

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: