jcs11236

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Update:

I decided to go topless. Was worried how tank would look without hood but it looks great! I purchased the AI hydra for my nano. Old leds were great but I always wanted natural sunrise/sunset going on in tank. I must say I love this feature. I have had lights on tank for a week. To early to give a review but all I could say is all corals are looking really nice. Tank is also running a lil cooler without the hood/ 1degree. Also less evaporation which I found weird since I read more evap happens when topless.
Here is a pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 347
Last edited:

jcs11236

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Update. Rbta started moving since I got him over a year ago. Killed a bunch of zoas but that's about it. Settled down towards top of tank right by the flow. Hopefully he stays there. Really don't want to get rid of it. My clowns love it. Not sure what could have caused him to move. Did change lighting to AI hydra. Maybe I need to ramp them up more. Clowns eggs are where the rbta used to be. They run back and forth all day and night to check on them. Lol I figured that they will lay new eggs next to rbta since it moved but I see him cleaning away at its old spot.

Other than that everything is running smooth.
I also ended up trading some equipment for a mp10 again. Feel like I needed a lil more flow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:

jcs11236

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Update:
Tank has been running smoothly. Rbta has stayed put. I like where he is. Hopefully he stays there for good.
Decided to check my par readings today. Wanted to see what readings the AI hydra is putting out on my set up. I have it 11" above water line. It is pushing 450 right above the water line. On the sand bed it is 110 center. And around the middle it is 180 center. Now if you move to the sides it drops. Especially in the corners. I was getting readings of 50 in the back right corner of sand bed.
These were taken at my current levels
White 23%
Royals/deepblue/uv/violets 75%
Red 6%
Green 19%

The par above my rbta is 180
The par above my gold torch on the sandbed is 110
Par over orange hammer is 180
Par over frog is 150
Par over Duncan /middle frog 180
Par over rics 120
Par over green hammer 110
Par over metor 80
Par over soul favia 50
Par over nephthea 80

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:

jcs11236

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Update. Rbta split last week. Was pretty cool to watch. I'm happy it split since it was getting too big for my cube. After split I got the clone and put him in a floating holder. The split is 90% healed. But the main bta has not healed fully. I'm assuming it has to do with it being under rock and extending itself when lights come on. And the split was just healing nicely in holder with direct light.
As for clowns. They stopped laying eggs since changes such as light,flow and rbta moving. But I'm glad to say they are back at it.
All levels are fine. Got a really nice frag of fruit loop zoas from a member. What a steak I got. They were 10 polyps and they are growing fast. Have about 14 now. These must be one of my favorite.
I also stopped dosing 2 part via dosing pumps a while ago. But I did use to dose 20 ml a week manually but I have stopped that as well. I feel that dosing is not necessary If no sps is present. My tank has actually never looked better after I stopped dosing completely. I do a 5 gal a week water change. Never have missed a week in the last 4 years. Towards end of week they go down to 400 cal and 6 alk. Again corals have never looked better
Here's a pic of the eggs. It is on back wall of cube. Happy that clowns are laying again. Makes me feel like they are comfortable and feel as if they are in their natural environment

Also wanted to add that I have decided to make my own food two weeks ago. My fish are picky eaters. They only like pe mysis. Rest of food they eat but don't care for it. So I was tired and felt bad feeding them the same thing every other day. So I went out to the fish market and bought fresh shrimp,mussels, baby octopus, scallop and calamari. I blended it all and froze it. The fish went nuts for it the next day! I'm glad I made this for them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Looks like your uaing the AI rail for the Hydra. What size extension rail are you using and how far off of the water do you have the fixture. Wasn't sure if you posted that information. Have the same u it on my BC 29 and I want to go topless as well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Reefs

jcs11236

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Thanks guys. The food is a hit with the fish. Lol. They go nuts for it. I feed a lot and it doesn't cause any algae spikes. I am assuming that the frozen from the lfs must have some heavy phosphates because when I feed heavy I usually get a algae on glass. What I like is that it's such a variety in sizes and it goes everywhere. I actually see corals grabbing food too. I made one zip lock worth of it. Like I stated It becomes like a mush and I stored in flat in freezer. All I do is snap a piece. I'm assuming it should last month or so. Figured it can't be stored too long since it's fresh seafood

I have the lights 11" off water. It is a nice height and spreads light nicely. A few post up I did review on light and I put par reading of different levels in tank. Check it out. The ai rail I am using is the 12". I love the tank topless. I was sick of the heat the top caused before. Even with the led hood my tank was running 2-3 degrees warmer. I was worried about going topless and evaporation but I didn't notice an increase so that good

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: