bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
masterswimmer said:
However, it's very difficult to calculate head/friction loss when I don't know height, # of 90's or 45's and pipe type and diameter.

Russ

It should be 4-5' of 1"spaflex up from the pump to the OM. (3/4" after)
45's to the first hole, which should have another 45 (then some lockline in the tank)

Hole 2: (going with jim's idea, having the left right effect) 90 up, one foot of pipe, 90 across the front of the tank (20"), 90 Down into the tank (and some lockline)

Hole 3 and 4 reverse and repeat, but add 2' each to get the pipes to the other side of the tank.

One of these days I'll learn how to cad plumbing and just draw the pic!

I had a Mak 4 and it was pretty noisy. What's the quietest external pump for the closed loop. If I go with the closed loop, I can get the ehiem for the return.

They don't make an Ehiem big enough to do both the return and the OM.

B

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Before we get into any of the head loss, I want to say, you'd be totally defeating the purpose of a CL if you ran just an Eheim for your return and CL. Your sump would have to be huge and almost empty to allow for siphoning out all your water in case of a power outage. Remember, the water is going to siphon out to the lowest point of discharge. CL holes are tradionally very low in the tank.

Now as far as your head loss. Not being an engineer, lets do this the very simple way. We can use a Mag Drive scenario because the following link offers a decent idea of head loss calculation.

5' height at 1" (Mags are designed to run with 1.5" pipe, so you've got headloss there already) we can call 7' of loss.

2 - 45's = 1' of loss. So we are up to 8' of loss.

Reducing to the 3/4" lets call another 1' of loss. Now 9'.

Going from 3/4" to locline, lets call that another 1'. Upto 10'.

Now this is going through your OM, so whatever flow is rated for 10' of head you'll have to /2 for the 2 outlets. If you are looking to get approx. 1000 gph total through the CL then the Mag 24 seems about right. That should give you about 550 gph through each of the two OM outlets at a time.

Your return pump will hook you up with the other 400 - 500 gph you're looking for.

Here's a link to the flow rate chart for Mag Drive:

http://reefgeek.com/manufacturers/danner_flow_rate.html

HTH,
Russ

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Russ,
I'm thinking about an Eheim for my return and ANOTHER pump for the CL. (maybe another Eheim)

Or if I go with only One pump it will be one external rated for about 1200gph. which should drop down to 1000gph or so, which I would be happy with. Good point about needing the extra room in the sump.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
A 1200 gph rated pump will be so very much undersized that you'll kick yourself for doing that. What I was explaining above is that you'll need a pump rated at about 2400 gph to accomplish what you want. You've got the equivalent of 10' of head loss!!

Russ

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Playing with foamcore.

32x20x20. The cutout in the back is 14x2.5"

I'm really not liking the proportions for some reason. I think it's too high for the length and width. But I can always build the stand and hood to cover the top inch or so of the tank.

And I like the stand at 36" tall. It's nice. The only bad thing is I"ll have to build a step stool to be able to reach the bottom of the tank.

B

Attachments

• model.jpg
    model.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 197

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
More pix. The bottom of my tank is 45". Eye level is soooo nice. I hate having to bend over to look at tanks. Easier for guests/admirers to look too :biggrin:

I want to see more of your designs.

Russ

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Sump.
16x20xsomthing. I forget how high.

I haven't been working on tank design this week I've been working on work. I'm trying to get a week ahead on notes. Next week I'm flying a HOT redheaded woman in for a week of adventure

The stand still looks the same, but I have the tank drawn with eurobracing. I'm going to email GC this week (If i can stay awake at work) and see whether I can get away with 3/8" glass, and the thickness of the bracing. Also, if I need bracing on the bottom.

B

Attachments

• sumpiso.JPG
    sumpiso.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 194
  • sumpbackl.JPG
    sumpbackl.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 195

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Brett, this crap about the sump needs to stop. MORE REDHEAD talk.....please! I'm soooooo living vicariously through you right now! :sgrin:

Ok, back to reality. I saw your setup at Jim's. So I understand the concept on that. What are you doing with an overflow within your sump on this design though? I'm guessing the water is flowing into the chamber that has the slits and flowing through the baffles to the opposite side and then the return. Is the overflow in the sump going to be an in-sump fuge?

Russ

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
The red head has a tattoo of a catholic school girl (with a lip ring) on her WHOLE thigh.

You are right. the area in the sump is a fuge. I'll probably feed it with either gravity or a MJ in the sump.

Things on the list:
Finish the budget spreadsheet ($2500 total budget. Unless I decide to take $1000 to AC and see if I can get a bigger tank!)
Draft up the coralife skimmer and recirc mod. Then see where it fits in the tank

kalk/calcium reactor (budget)

Decide how I'm going to finish the stand and hood. I'm really thinking about cherry and maple. But then there's the budget again. (solid maple trim ain't cheap!)

Figure out flow, and holes. I saw a pic where the guys closed loop feed comes from the overflow box. SO it's one less hole in the tank and one more in the overflow. (but then gal/hr is a consideration of the overflow teeth.

Email GC. then re[work the drafting

SHould keep me busy for a bit.

After the RedHead leaves. . .

B

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
bad coffee said:
The red head has a tattoo of a catholic school girl (with a lip ring) on her WHOLE thigh.

:smash:

:banghead:

:fishhit:

:Thinking:
After the RedHead leaves. . .

B

The only thing I heard after the first sentence was, "wok wok wok wok wok". Did you say something? :tub:

Russ

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
32x20x20 tank from GC with 3 sides starfire, $340
58 gallon (36x18x21 or 25=70gal), $210

Looks like I'm going with a 58.

At petsmart yesterday, I saw a new line of aquariums with 'optically clear' tanks. I wonder if they're using Low iron glass, or they're just saying that. I have to do a little research. if I can get an off the shelf tank with starfire glass I'll go for it!

B

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
B, you mean the last pic w/ the blue 'shrooms in it? That was a little extra "thank you" for the phone... :birthday:

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Tonyscoots84 said:
bad coffee hurry up already.. lolz ill be up to my 3rd tank by the time ur done with this one...lmao Jim those pics look noiceeeeeeeee.
Tony, I've gone through a couple of tanks in the last 5 years I've been in the hobby. I'm out on the road now with work, so all the work I've done is conceptual. Once I get back into town I'll have the tank up and running in a month or so. (okay maybe 2 if I end up on a show once I'm back in town!)

Q, Thanks for the zoas and the shrooms.

Tomorrow I should be able to finish the draft for the tank and email to GC. I'm going to schedule it for the September 10th show in white plains. I don't know if I'll be available for the July 9th show.

And I still have to figure out what I'm doing with the stand/canopy.

B

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Here it is. Eurobraced 58gal (36x18x21) External overflow (i have to install myself)

Glass cages won't cut the cutout for the external overflow, so I'm going to cut up a brand new tank! Hopefully It won't take me 3 tries like my 20 gallon. They're leaving off the eurobracing, so I don't have to worry about it being in the way. I'm also ordering the glass for the back overflow box from them.

I've been emailing GC and they've been super cool with answering all my questions.

B

Attachments

• tank58.JPG
    tank58.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 156

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Wow that is an interesting concept with the overflow like that. Maybe being so new I've just never seen that before or maybe I was just plain clueless when Jim showed me your tank! Either way, get home soon and start setting this bad boy up !

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: