bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
and checking out 7 fish stores yesterday, I've decided to get working on my next tank.

What I know about it now:

It's gonna be a custom size, both so I can get low-lead glass, and I can get the exact size I want.

Of course it's gonna have an external overflow! ANd probably 4 holes in the back for an OM squirt. (or maybe bigger)

I'll be building everything else. And building web pages while I build. I'm looking at all kinds of furntiure now and I'm deciding on what I want. This tank will be the last one i set up until I buy a house.

It's gotta fit in the same nook where my old tank was. (for those of you who saw my old setup) so I can't go too big. I also don't think the floor can support that much bigger of a tank. But Imight just talk to the landlord and see if I can brace the floor from below. (the basement floor is concrete so I could just put in a post jack)

B

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
here's some sizes I've been working on. which one catches your eye?

Attachments

• boxes.jpg
    boxes.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 1,190

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Okay, I've decided that the whole system has to be under 65 gallons total volume.
And I've set my budget at $2k for everything!

Here's three different sizes. All are on 34" stands. Which do you guys and gals like? the one on the right, left, or center?

Thanks
B

Attachments

• boxes.JPG
    boxes.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 1,150

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
The middle one is 30x19x19 =47 gals. leaves almost 20 for the sump. Whatever size I decide on I'm going to get some cardboard and make a box the size the tank will be. It would be my luck that it would look great on paper then I'd order the tank and it would look like a sore thumb- One of those tanks that the proportions are way off.

No worries about the pics. I almost took a pick of a pricetag the other day. (cause the fish was LONG gone)

"Helfrichi goby----$56"

Yeah, 56 bucks! The guy said the wholesaler called him and admited he made a mistake! DUH. Too bad he didn't have another in stock! (he was geting more this week at $99 each.)

B

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Jim is your upstairs tank the tank you're babysitting for BC? If so, BC he did an awesome job. It looks beautiful. BTW, that is one helluva setup you built. Kudos to you, I love it.

Jim, your pix of it are great clarity and coloration.

In the pic with the two clams, is that coral at 2 o'clock to them a favia?

As far as your new tank BC, I like your idea of building it with a cardboard box and living with it that way for a week or two to see how it 'feels'. Sort of like a paint blob on the wall for awhile.

I like the tank on the left. Bigger = better :arg: :arg: :arg:

Russ

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Thanks for the pics! There's not too much die off that I can see. Maybe that lobo, but other than that things look fine. No worries. Everything in that tank has been fragged so I can always get back a piece of whatever I lose.

Russ, The first time Jim ever laid eyes on that setup he said "DIBBS. I want that for my office!" So I'll probably sell it to him for a good price. . . (only because my roommates have said "ONLY ONE TANK" (but then they said "When you buying a bigger tank?")) Honestly, it's the first piece of furniture I've built that I loved. really, really loved having it in my house. I hope I feel the same way about the new tank.

yeah heliopora diplostrea moon coral. If jim decides he needs to dremmel it there may be some for auction at the swap! if not you'll have to wait until summer when I can cut it up.

B

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
So BC, when you build your new tank and I first lay eyes on it and say DIBBS, I get that one? Thanks man, you're the best :hug: . Jim, you were right, he is cool.

Must say, I really loved that design. Great job. I'm sure the new tank will look even better. Even though the first one came out fantastic, we still learn from those first ventures. Good luck and post pix.

Russ

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
masterswimmer said:
So BC, when you build your new tank and I first lay eyes on it and say DIBBS, I get that one?
Russ
sure. but I have to get another tour, and you have to keep everything alive for the time I'm out. But you have to be into it like jim was.

He came in, grabbed a beer and parked his ass in front of the tank for a while. (hey, it happens) but I could tell he REALLY wanted that tank.

B

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
bad coffee said:
sure. but I have to get another tour, and you have to keep everything alive for the time I'm out. But you have to be into it like jim was.

He came in, grabbed a beer and parked his ass in front of the tank for a while. (hey, it happens) but I could tell he REALLY wanted that tank.

B

Rollin rollin rollin :tank: Sounds like a plan. Lets keep the momentum going. I'm a good babysitter :goldfish2 :fish:

Russ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: