KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Interesting idea :)

You didn't mention how you are going to provide flow in the 12 x 12 tank. What about putting a closed loop in the bottom of it - hooked to the return - so you can suspend the detritus so it flows into the lower tank?

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
04-27-2011

Currently im waiting on deliveries, Ill have updates shortly. Tomorrow i will get the rock and i will start constructing my design. Truth is i have a nice little team that came up with a lot of cool ideas. Once i receive my shipments ill start getting everything in motion. I am trying too do a lot of brainstorming to try too avoid "i should have done this" "i should have done that" - but realistically theres no instructions for this so its going to be trial and error.

The cube will be drilled towards the rear, I will use a bulkhead and a 90 degree elbow which will be draining water into a basin without splashing, then i will be creating tracks for the water to flow down using foam and tubing [sliced in half] down into a second and third basin, its not going to be a splashing waterfall [only time will tell]

There will be a lot of trials going on, i am not good enough to illustrate the design but look out for updates in the next couple of days.

The idea of this was too home terrestrial crabs. What better way to do this by incorporating a waterfall between two different tanks. Not to mention two separate tanks with totally different livestock options

who knows lol [my heads out there]

Last edited:

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Ahh interesting ..I definitely like the idea I wasn't trying to knock it or anything it just sounded like a big project for such a small tank. Now that you explained it better I see more of what you mean and I think if you do it how you just said it could definitely work. At first it seemed like you were just going to have water pouring out of that bulkhead and splashing all over the rocks lol, that is what had me concerned. Good luck bro and I look forward to the progress!

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Fun idea Jonny, looking forward to seeing you pull this off.

Like others, my concern would be the waterfall section with saltwater seeping between the two panes. It would be virtually impossible to clean that area without moving the tanks once they are stocked. Perhaps a thin (and clean) clear silicone layer could solve the problem, without ruining the aesthetics.

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
04-28-2011

Im glad i caught some attention. I intend to get this going within the month.

I am going to attempt this with foam first. I am going to make the waterfall sealed so there isnt any water leaking down through the cracks. if it doesn't work as planned i will try the next option.

I also just ordered my Granite top, I went with a Light white St. Cecilia w/ Pencil edges and 2, 2" holes drilled. Pickup is set for Tuesday. So many colors to choose from. Its mainly a white stone with greys and purple running through it. Hopefully i made a good choice.

ADA cube is still stuck in customs.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
04-30-2011

Quick update, Rock was delivered, i got the eco saver dry rock from BRS, Fast shipping. I liked around 50% of the rock shapes. The other i have been chopping up and re epoxying to get the shapes i want. They sent me an extra 5-7 lbs.

If anyone is wondering I used an epoxy from Home depot called [JB] Water weld, Its a food grade, Fast drying/curing & drinking safe.

I created a base and a bonzai style piece coming out from the base for corals. Really really happy how its coming out. [zip ties are there until the epoxy drys]

Hit a bunch of speed-bumps, in the photo you will see the eggcrate I put there too illustrate how high the other tank will be. I really wish the cube would be another 4-5 inches higher. The waterfall isnt going to be too tall but its going to help with the functionality and im going to make it look really good....

I also fooled around with the Great stuff pond and fish foam i bought early last year. Didnt realize the stuff was going to be black. Trying to really get a hang of how much i need to use to avoid it looking stupid even though i can always trim it away.

heres a teaser:
the structure has around 8 or so pieces and i need to add a lot more rock.

1.jpg

advice welcomed!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
After fooling around for a few days it started to come together. There was a lot of trial and error but i finally got something going.

The structure is one piece now and was created with egg crate, rock, and foam and an exacto knife. It still needs another few days of work.

Epoxy Used: Bob smith Industries 2 part [20min]

When working with this foam it is very hard to judge how much it is going to expand. This made it very hard to keep this low profile and its hard to come out and say im 100% with the overall design. I figure once its running and colors up a bit that it will definitely slim it down with the contrasting colors.

I also decided that the 30c will use a 1/2" bulkhead/elbow combo instead of the 1" too reduce the flow.

No word from ADA yet, Guessing the cube is still stuck in customs. Hopefully they can get it out this week because i would really like to get this rolling along.

[i ran out of the pond foam so im working with some regular foam for the finishing touches]

Their is some freshly sprayed foam in the photo because im working on blending this all together.

photo-14.jpg

i plan to make the cubes rock work too go hand and hand with this to make it all mesh together right.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
05-11-2011

Heres an updated photo of the current setup. I think it looks a lot better. I hacked away some of the foam and also added additional liverock. Ill continue to make small changes as the days pass. That epoxy is really getting to my head, dont think my work area is ventilated enough.

Haven't heard anything from ADA about the 30c. Kinda makes me wish i wasn't so anal about things because i could have received a Green Leaf weeks ago...

photo-15.jpg

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
05-22-2011

The shallow tank is basically done. Drilled, overflow installed, just need to do a little touch up epoxy work in places that I missed.

I haven't received the cube yet. So everything has been on hold. It was released by customs just waiting for it too be shipped. Who knows.

Im kinda losing interest on the build because of the delay. When you sit back and realize how much you have spent and need to spend its not good lol. Only because I have been trying to save as much money as possible for something else.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: