Rating - 100%
87   0   0
04-21-2011

Well, I'm at it again with two brand new ADA tanks and a new idea.

My tanks still running but this will eventually replace it. It's definitely a downgrade but hopefully works out

I picked up both an ADA 60-F & ADA 30-C [waiting for the 30-c to be shipped]

Ada 60- F 24" x 12" x 7"
Ada 30- C 12" x 12x x 12"
My idea is too place the two tanks side by side with a centralized sump underneath. The 60-f on the left and 30c on the right and form a waterfall. I have drilled the 60f an will do the same with the 30c when it arrives.

I really want to have the water volume at around 25 Gallons between the 2 tanks/sump and additional refugium I will be adding.

Going to be a journey but i think its going to come out really nice with a little planning.

Equipment i have for the build:
Vortech MP10
Ada 60- F
Ada 30- C
Custom Sump (24 x 12 x 17)
Eheim 1260 return
50 lbs of BRS Dry Rock
Glass holes Con Dientes nano kit
Bulkheads/Plumbing...

More updates too follow!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
04-21-2011
So heres a little photoshop sketchup i put together. I drew it out much better but dont have a scanner to upload it.

The rockwork is going to be a little difficult and definitely need a lot of planning, i will be attempting too go up the side of the 30c forming a waterfall. I will have to make sure to make the structure strong and not have any weight on the bulkhead that could possibly cause the tank to crack. it will be created with a mix of dry rock,epoxy,zipties,acrylic rods and foam. I will need to make sure it doesn't cause abrupt splashing.

I am probably going to use a nano overflow kit from glass-holes. i just tossed in some rock images to give an idea of what im planning to do.

ideatank.jpg

used 1/2" bulkhead for cube.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
04-21-2011

Yep! Thats the plan. I'm definitely going to have to think about livestock choices.

I want to get the actual design up and running before I even get into that.

Maybe do non photosynthetic in the right tank. Or even just an anemone and clowns in there.. Rock fish.. Bunch of different possibilities.

Salt creep will def be an issue but I don't mind cleaning it. I am trying to implement something to reduce it.

I was thinking about creating a small basin at the top by the elbow and making groves for the water to run down to prevent anytype of splashing by creating a small basin at the top.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
04-21-2011

They are nano tanks normally used for fresh water planted tanks but becoming more popular amongst reefers.

Amazing quality - 5 sides starfire glass, very thin tanks with near perfect silicone work.. Can barely even see the seams. Beveled edges.

Incredibly clear

http://www.adgshop.com
I believe they are from
Japan

Last edited:

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Looking forward to this build. I am ordering a 60f as soon as they are back in stock.
I am planing a planted tank, lily pipes are a must fr this build.
Very cool idea you have there.

T3TRODOTOXIN

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Interesting man. Whats going on with the other shallow tank you have?

I was interested in the ADA, but so damn expensive (for such small tank)... would really like to see one in person before I decide to buy...

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
04-22-2011

Heres a photo of the 60-F Drilled.

[Danielle(picod) let me borrow her Glass-Holes kit so i could trace and drill the hole in the right spot to accommodate the nano overflow box that I am going to use)

hole1.jpg

hole2.jpg

[tanks just on a chest i have in the basement, need to make a stand]

Ordered my overflow kit, bulkheads, and return kit from glass-holes and 30lbs of eco rock from BRS.

Im also thinking about making a replica of my design out of acrylic/cardboard so I can construct this without scratching or cracking anything during the process of making the waterfall

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Interesting man. Whats going on with the other shallow tank you have?

I was interested in the ADA, but so damn expensive (for such small tank)... would really like to see one in person before I decide to buy...

Once this tank is up and running the old tank will be taken down.

The tanks are great, great clarity,quality and silicone. Your more than welcome to come check them out.

Expensive yes but there perfect tanks and worth the money.

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
cool idea but the way you are doing it sounds like it's going to be a real PITA. Salt creep and splashing everywhere it's also going to make top off annoying as well since you will have to constantly replenish. It kinda sounds like more trouble than it's worth. What made you want to give up on the shallow? That is a really nice set up!

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Jonny, question about the waterfall....is the 'waterfall' going to be through the bulkhead in the 60? Or is it going to overflow the rim to the tank below?

Following along. Looking forward to seeing the progression.

Russ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: