Rating - 100%
87   0   0
06-17-2011

i know this update is long overdue but i haven't had much time for the build. Anyways im back on track and heres and updated video of it plumbed and running.

I received the cube, drilled the granite top & cube. only drilled one hole because i didn't want to risk anymore holes.

VIDEO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnng4xteNOo

I hope to be finished with the rock this weekend and will have some updated videos/photos for everyone.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Glad you mentioned that because I truthfully never thought about It. I will be making some sort of cover either out of egg crate or some sort of mesh. And I will probably avoid snails in there.

Thanks for the pointers

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
yea ill definitely figure out something. Theres a strainer on there now... going to brainstorm something that will hopefully be fail proof.

Originally i was going with a 1" bulkhead. I ended up using a 1/2" because in order to use the 1" bulkhead, the hole would have had to obviously been larger and lower from the rim... and it would have caused my water line to be too low for me.

IMG_0960.jpg

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
06-19-2011

Coming along...

Finished the cubes rock work, Constructed it out of Dry rock and foam. I still need too epoxy and sand it once i get more epoxy. I built it all towards the back left to cover the plumbing and to have it look like the two rock formations meet. Havent put the finishing touches on either side yet. Haven't decided if im going to have the two rock formations actually meet on the outside of the tank yet.

Waterfall was changed. It looked way to bulky and the rock just looked un natural so i chiseled and cut away a lot of it and epoxied it. really groved it out and it really makes a huge difference visually.

Photos.

Cube
1-2.jpg

Shallow
2-3.jpg

FTS
3.jpg

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Ok so after destroying vegas for 7 days im back.

The rock work is finally finished and cured. I added fresh water to do some running tests. The rock work isn't in its final positions but will be fine for the tests.

So far everything is running smooth but i definitely need to do some minor changes. Luckily I have Richie coming by this weekend for some help.

Couple of things i need to do.

1st - make the weirs on the overflow box lower and add some side weirs.

2nd - need to drill the elbow from the overflow box

3rd need to fail-proof the return to make sure it restricts flow so i dont have a major flood.

heres a current picture. Still no sand and still need to manuever the rocks into a favorable position.

photo isnt working- ill add one when i can get it too work.. uh

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
So the tank still just has fresh water and has ran for almost 24hrs without a single leak! Waiting on a friend to come over and help me with the rest of the things i need to do before adding saltwater.

The weirs on the overflow still need to be lowered to lower the water level and the actual waterfall needs to be raised around 2 inches higher. This will allow the water to drain further down the waterfall.

Either way this should give you an idea of what it will look like and how it runs.

let me know what you guys think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8jeNNXFjUo

***I will be foaming the return and waterfall locline to hide it better.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Not completely sure just yet. Been trying to just get it set up hehe

But as of now im thinking.

Shallow Tank: Fiddler Crabs, land crabs and various corals...possibly a rockfish. [havent researched yet]

Cube Tank: anemones, pair of clowns and other small fish

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: