Rating - 95.9%
70   3   0
Looks good. How do you like the starboard so far?

Thanks everybody. So far so good, my only complaint is the gap around the edge looks so big. If the tank was bigger it probably wouldn't bother me so much but it's only 3' x 18". Also the hermit crabs have a tough time getting on and off the board. After seeing all the stuff that has already settled on the board I will never set up another tank that isn't bare bottom.

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I think part of the gap theory is to get rid of all the extra "poop" makers as Mike would say and the gap becomes another means for you to export them manually.

Its probably too late, but i'm thinking do you really need the gap all the way around? Couldn't you get by with one edge and seal the others? And adjust the flow?

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Thanks everybody. So far so good, my only complaint is the gap around the edge looks so big. If the tank was bigger it probably wouldn't bother me so much but it's only 3' x 18". Also the hermit crabs have a tough time getting on and off the board. After seeing all the stuff that has already settled on the board I will never set up another tank that isn't bare bottom.

That sucks about the spacing. It's necessary to either seal it off or have a channel there (plus you can't rest the board on the silicone itself) but the channel doesn't need to be that big. Too bad. I'm sure once the corals grow in, you won't even notice it.

I think part of the gap theory is to get rid of all the extra "poop" makers as Mike would say and the gap becomes another means for you to export them manually.

Its probably too late, but i'm thinking do you really need the gap all the way around? Couldn't you get by with one edge and seal the others? And adjust the flow?

You can do that, but I wouldn't seal it with the size difference that the OP has.

Also, you want the detritus to settle in one spot so it's easy to siphon out. Make sure you siphon the detritus regularly or it will break down similarly to how it does when there is a sand-bed.

Rating - 95.9%
70   3   0
That sucks about the spacing. It's necessary to either seal it off or have a channel there (plus you can't rest the board on the silicone itself) but the channel doesn't need to be that big. Too bad. I'm sure once the corals grow in, you won't even notice it.

You can do that, but I wouldn't seal it with the size difference that the OP has.

Also, you want the detritus to settle in one spot so it's easy to siphon out. Make sure you siphon the detritus regularly or it will break down similarly to how it does when there is a sand-bed.

Thanks for the advice I plan on siphoning the detritus out once a week and change 5 gallons.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: