TheSherm

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Justin had an interesting post during this thread, a topic I have been looking into- the over dosing of alk and calc, which then calcifies in the sand causing bricks/ clumps of sand. The calcification causes the release of hydrogen sulfide which is a coral killer, especially sps but could be problematic for hardier corals in high volumes. I think that I had this issue at one point. All levels of alk and calc, ph, phosphates etc are fine, no pests, but a slow sps recession. I noticed earlier that I had some clumpiness to the sand, some larger clumps, and some that broke apart. Its something I had no idea about until Justin mentioned it in this thread and I followed up. Could be a possibility Duke if you noticed any clumps.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Oh man, I had been following this tank for a while, and couldn't believe reading that you had lost your whole collection (sorry to add salt to the wound), but you'll bounce back better than ever before. Plus you have a community and friends that will get you back to where you were in no time at all.

Thanks dcg. My I was about to send pictures to Kathy for tank of the month contender till this happened. It sucks but i finally excepted it :(

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: