Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Before there is renewed mass hysteria here, I'd just like to point out that this thread is nearly 4 years old. I was never convinced at the time that rust is a real problem and i still am not convinced. What I think happened with the mag pumps is that they put the wrong screws on a batch ( I still have mag pumps that pre-date the problems and the screws haven't caused any issues to this day). These screws may have leeched something into the water, but I dont think the rust per se was a problem. Also I haven't heard of any incidents regarding the use of mag pumps for years and they still use metal screws.

Regarding the Vortechs, while a product that costs as much money as they do shouldn't rust, and they were right to improve to the new design, the problem Pinkheine describes is the 1st time I've heard of anyone stating the rusted parts caused any problems---lots of fear that they might--- but I ran mine ( several of them) rusted for nearly a year with no issue with every type of animal in the system you can imagine.

Copper or other metals might cause real problems, I don't think iron rust will.

ari5736

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
The screws on my 18 are rusting what can I do. I went to Home Depot and they did not have machine vinyl screws. I called Mag and they said that the 18 uses the same size screws as the Mag 9.

Pinkheine

No More Room :-(
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Before there is renewed mass hysteria here, I'd just like to point out that this thread is nearly 4 years old. I was never convinced at the time that rust is a real problem and i still am not convinced. What I think happened with the mag pumps is that they put the wrong screws on a batch ( I still have mag pumps that pre-date the problems and the screws haven't caused any issues to this day). These screws may have leeched something into the water, but I dont think the rust per se was a problem. Also I haven't heard of any incidents regarding the use of mag pumps for years and they still use metal screws.

Regarding the Vortechs, while a product that costs as much money as they do shouldn't rust, and they were right to improve to the new design, the problem Pinkheine describes is the 1st time I've heard of anyone stating the rusted parts caused any problems---lots of fear that they might--- but I ran mine ( several of them) rusted for nearly a year with no issue with every type of animal in the system you can imagine.

Copper or other metals might cause real problems, I don't think iron rust will.

Like I said the anemone just didn't open up all the way, though rust was pouring out of that thing... as you can see it was very rusted and more than likely just an irritant of the anemone more than anything else. I doubt it would have killed anything if we had let it remain in the tank. As it was we left it in until we got the spare parts for the Vortech because we have no circulation other than the Vortech besides our return pump, which isn't really enough alone.

I have no complaints with the way in which they handled the situation and let's face it saltwater is some pretty corosive stuff... so it isn't really something that we can totally avoid (though it'd be nice to think that the companies would think of it for us before hand in their designs)--
as for nylon screws try smaller mom and pop hardware stores. I know True Value Hardware stores carry all sorts of screws, nuts, bolts etc. If you cannot find the right ones at Depot or Lowe's.

Digitalflash

Back in the water again..
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rust!!!!

i had the same thing happen. i thru the pump away not realizing that i should have called the company. this was just 2 months ago.!!:givebeer:

ari5736

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I hope you threw away a mag and not a vortech, or else give me a beer too. I just ordered the screws from US plastics. If they are the right size I will post and let MR know. I figure I should have a few left over after I replace my 3-4 Mag pumps.

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Ari, Lowes has the right sized nylon screws.

For a couple of dollars why not replace metal screws with nylon? Seems silly to let metal screws rust when it only takes a few minutes and a couple of dollars to make the switch.

ari5736

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
My question to those who do not think this is so much of an issue is whether it is not an issue because the screws genrally do not rust, or because even if they do rust they will not cause harm?
I ordered the 5/8" 832 thread from online. I hope they work.

Marteen

Meow?
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I don't think it's the rust so much as the release of heavy metals into your system that is causing the problem. Yes rust is used in things like purigen and chemipure to leach out harmul things in your tank, but when a screw rusts it's doing more than just oxidizing it's breaking apart at a molecular level and not all it's component parts are rusting some are just breaking off into the water. Now if you are in the ocean that's fine it's not even a drop in the sink to have an entire ocean liner rust at the bottom, but in a tank it can lead to bad things. I say better safe than sorry.

ferrybongo13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Wow...I have 2 mag pumps too...1,800 ...what king were yours? I will have to check mine, how long were they running for? Hope your tank comes back healthy.thanks for sharing the info!

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Just to be clear again. This thread is 4years old!!!!! While some folks may have some screws rusting on Mag pumps presently, I am unaware of anyone attributing any problems in their systems to these screw since this thread was posted 4 years ago. Being safe rather than sorry is fine, but let's not distort the reality of the situation since the original issues 4 years ago.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: