Raskal311

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't wait until Euro-reef to come out with their larger metal alloy mesh wheel skimmer; it would really put them back in the game…

The Fragenater

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not for nothing, but SWC skimmers are Reef octopus skimmers ( IE Coral Vue ) that are imported in to Canada, exported to the US to Marine solutions and relabeled as "SWC".
Same units.
Just figured I would throw that out there in case any one cared ? LOL!
I just figured since this was the definitive skimmer thread its relative information right ?

Jayson from Saltwater connection in Canada orders them directly from Japan with his distributorship he has with Martin at Reef Octopus ( Coral Vue ).
Then exports them off to Rob and Joe at Marine solutions inc in Ohio, where they re label them SWC ( well I don't know if they do it there or not.. could be done at Jaysons I suppose ?)
But any way... indentical products. The same manufacturer makes them for both brands. One may claim a venturi is different or an impeller but they really aren't LOL!

justdrew

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Fragenater":7pbnm8cc said:
Not for nothing, but SWC skimmers are Reef octopus skimmers ( IE Coral Vue ) that are imported in to Canada, exported to the US to Marine solutions and relabeled as "SWC".
Same units.
Just figured I would throw that out there in case any one cared ? LOL!
I just figured since this was the definitive skimmer thread its relative information right ?

Jayson from Saltwater connection in Canada orders them directly from Japan with his distributorship he has with Martin at Reef Octopus ( Coral Vue ).
Then exports them off to Rob and Joe at Marine solutions inc in Ohio, where they re label them SWC ( well I don't know if they do it there or not.. could be done at Jaysons I suppose ?)
But any way... indentical products. The same manufacturer makes them for both brands. One may claim a venturi is different or an impeller but they really aren't LOL!

While the bodies are identical, the volutes and pinwheels are different. The MSX volutes are machined out to allow better use of mesh with zip-ties. They make restarts much easier. The MSX pinwheel is also different from Reef octopus. The MSX pinwheel pulls more air. MSX has taken the reef octopus and made slight improvements to it.

Later
Drew

wetworx101

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the complete list of Cones, at this point:
Korallen Zucht (beckett injector, Aquabee pump, many use with eheims though, no bubble plate) made in Taiwan
ATB (needle/meshwheel, Sicce-Eheim-Askoll, easily converted to a beckett injector-also made 'pyramid' skimmers) made in Austria
RE/Vertex Alpha (needlewheel, Askoll) made in China
I-tech (needlewheel, Sicce:Tunze version-ReeFlo) made in USA
CoralVue XP-2000 (needlewheel, Askoll Copy) made in China
CoralVue Hurricone (needlewheel, Askoll, 50/50:cone/cylinder) made in China?
Warner Marine (needlewheel, Sicce, bubble-ring) made in China
Eshopps (needlewheel-needle/mesh hybrid, Aquabee or Aquabee Clone-Via Aqua) made in China?
SkimzKone (needlewheel, Aquabee) made in Asia, hard to find for sale outside Asia
Bubble Pioneer (needlewheel, Aquabee-Eheim) made in China, hard to find outside Asia
SWC/MSX (needlewheel, Sicce) made in China
Meerwasser-Technik (needlewheel, Aquabee) made in Germany?, good luck finding one outside Germany
AquaC 'pyramid' ( in development) made in US

Let me know if I missed something... but that should be the entire list.

mathman7728

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello,

i've been out of the hobby for 10yrs and want to get back in. i'm mapping out the plan of attack and wondered what type of skimmer is best for a 120gal, sps tank. downdraft, venturi, etc. what makes the best skimmer the best?

thank you!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mathman, you'll probably get more answers if you start up a separate thread. I'm currently without a tank (though hopefully not for much longer), but the Octopus Extreme series gets some good write ups.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tom, I am currently running two Reef Octopus Extreme skimmers- I think they are the 2500 2X version in the link below...

http://www.thereefshop.com.au/index.php ... cts_id=555

While I have been very happy with the way they skim- they are extremely high performance and compare favourably with the large Deltecs that I am used to running, they have caused untold problems for me.... they are extremely difficult to adjust right, the adjustment is an annoying 50mm vertical pipe that needs to be twisted to control the water column height. When the power goes off, and then comes back on, they overflow- dramatically. I am not sure what causes this but they can- and have- sucked my sump dry more than once. I am planning to mod them by fitting a ball valve adjustment, and have them on a UPS system now. After 2 tank crashes, indirectly due to the skimmer 'bouncing' on a power out, and a flooded entrance hall- twice- I am tired of having sleepless nights.

I dont know if anyone else has had similar experiences to mine, but its something to bear in mind in your planning. They are great value high performance skimmers, but you need to plan around that quirk. (They also overflow with a sudden change in sump level- like when I climb into my tank, but thats understandable)

scottstiger

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
manufacturer: Red Sea
model: Berlin X2
type: venturi
Pump: Iwaki 30RLT Got all My equipment used, at random
tank size: 58 gallon
notes: Very simple to use, just adjust flow as needed and keep clean! (I do keep a tube from the cup to a 1 gallon jug for overflows)

wade1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since this thread hasn't been posted to in a long while, what are people's opinions on a skimmer thats high efficiency, low power consumption - and here's the kicker - hang on or at least small enough to rig behind the tank? Thinking 60g cube... What do you think is best?

reefreef

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Killer skimmers,
One of the best i have had.

http://jnsaquaria.com/2007html/products/view.php?CatId=17&Model=SK-5&lang=eng

SK-5.jpg

yacn

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Euroreef Skimmer...RS 100
Venturi w/ needle wheel

150 gal reef/fish tank

6yrs old....seems to work well, although I have nothing to compare it to...its the only one I've ever owned. I never have to adjust it, always emptying cups of smelly brown stuff, I clean out whole skimmer about once a month. LFS recommended it when I bought tank set up from them. I thought it was an expensive skimmer when I bought it.

I've gone thru 2 replacement sedra PS2 pumps that powers this skimmer. The base of my skimmer fell off and had to re-glue, the collection cup fell apart had to re-glue. Acrylic glue and then had to use silicone.

Is that normal to be going thru pumps like that? I'm on my 3rd pump counting the one it came with....3rd pump is about 1 yr old. I run it 24/7 is my sump.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: