jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
new design, only one pressure switch on top of larger tank.

jhro7ow.jpg

Last edited:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
okay i fixed it. look at it again, it's all good, all i have to do is add a permeate pump and it will be complete.

dean, too funny.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
by the way the solid black lines are the electric cords, and the double lines are the water. just in case someone did not know.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
House of Laughter said:
I think you should make a left at Pismo Beach - that diagram makes my head hurt

House

ha, that's how I felt when I was looking at the plumbing for your system.

look again, it's not that bad ;)

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
I have the permeate pump like Fry and like it alot. It really saves on waste water an increases the efficiency of the RO/DI system. I also have a booster pump installed after the first chamber to increase pressure across the RO membrane, since I live on the top floor and don't get good water pressure out of the tap.

JH - your design looks good, except I would be careful drinking RO water! It is too pure for our stomachs and would make you sick if you drink it, unless you add salt back to it before drinking. Is your diagram from a company insert (did they suggest drinking the RO water) or did you change it? or am I reading it wrong?

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I made the diagram using two schematics and photoshop.
I live on the top floor too, and get no pressure, arg.

I've spoken to doctors about drinking RO water. they all said it's okay.
first the RO units we use in our home do not strip the water of everything, they are not scientific grade. second you would have to drink only RO water and nothing else to have any detrimental effects. I would not recommend it for children though. they need the fluoride for their teeth :D I've been drinking RO water since february and look at me I'm fine ;) mmm, good. I'd rather drink RO water than the crap that's in our water now, nothing like an extra 10ppm of human fecal matter in the city water supply to make you want to change your carbon filter. did you read that story :eek: pass me the RO.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Shaun, I think you mean that drinking "DI" water is counter-productive to our health. Obtaining RO water to drink is the main reason most of these units are sold to the general public (non-reefers).

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
oh by the way, the post filter leading to the drinking water is a "flavor enhancer"
perhaps it does add salt and other things back into the RO water. it's sold by filters direct to be used for drinking RO water. makes the water taste yummy. just like mom used to make.

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Dean you are correct RO/DI is probably what you shouldn't drink, but I guess it all depends on how much solutes have been taken out of the water by the RO.

I think that the "flavor enhancer" probably buffers the water back to pH 7 using different salts. If it taste good would be the best test, :lol: .

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
do you think i can mount the Di filter in the stand with the smaller tank in front of the Di filter to feed it?
I won't have room under the sink for both tanks and the RO filter.

would there be enough pressure to get the water through the DI filter at that point?

yessongs

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
All you need is one Ball valve and a Tee, my RO/carbon water go into the holding tank under the sink and out the faucet for drinking.
Then i shut off the holding tank valve and turn on the ball valve with a hose, RO/DI water to fill buckets for the reef.

FRY

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
why not install di filter between 4 gal pressurized tank and solenoid valve,the tank incress pressure when its full and that whould force more water pressure thur di filter its worth a try

frank

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
hey robert, I was doing that for a while, I'm tired of having to make water for the tank all the time. I need about three gallons a day for top off, and the 20 gallon tub of water sitting in the living room is an eyesore. I want something that I don't have to think about, which is what I think I've got, almost. for water changes I'll just tee-off the DI water going into the sump.
frank, I'm going to try the tank before the filter design, that sounds better.
I'm just waiting for all the parts to come in, I had to order from four places to get everything I needed.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
yessongs said:
RO/DI water is pure, its not bad for you, as long as you eat food. there is Bacteria? that stays in old DI filters thats not good to drink, but it wont be the worst thing i drank.

hmm, what would that be? the worst thing you drank ?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: