FRY

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
jim you dont need the 4 gal tank ,all it does is give you a total of 18 gal storage, ro water feeds both tanks and when you draw water from sink or sump this going to come from both or the one with the highest pressure which the 4 gal tank will go down faster then the 14 gal tank,

frank

Last edited:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
If it does not hurt the system, I would not mind having the extra water stored, it would make water changes quicker. the 14 gallon stores about 10 gallons of water, and the 4 gallon about 3 if your lucky. that would be enough for my water changes each week. it would make life much simpler if i did not have to wait for water to be made.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
does anybody know if it matters how fast the water travels through the DI filter?

I noticed that when water is diverted from the tank and is dripping out slowly the TDS is 0 or low.
when it comes from the tank and hits the DI filter all at once the TDS seems to climb.

would putting two DI filters in line solve this?

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I've read that as well, but what if the water is going to fast for the filter to be effective, wouldn't the second filter catch what the first one misses.

this is assuming that water coming out of the tank is pushed through the DI filter faster than it's supposed to be.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
yessongs said:
Dr. Pepper. WTF is that stuff?

Dean you let this one go?

Dr Pepper is older than any of the other major soft drinks in America--older than Coke, Pepsi and 7Up. It was concocted in 1885 at Morrison's Old Corner Drug Store in Waco, Texas by the pharmacist, Charles Alderton. People ordered the drink there by asking Alderton to "shoot (them) a Waco." He wasn't interested in soft drink production, though, so he went back to pharmacy work and gave the recipe to the store owner, Wade Morrison, and a young beverage chemist, Robert S. Lazenby. Morrison came up with the name, but nobody really knows where he got it. You can find a dozen different theories on the web and at the Dr Pepper Museum in Waco. One story says that a pharmacist named Dr. Charles Pepper gave Morrison his first job, so Morrison returned the favor by naming the new drink after him.

In the 1920s, Lazenby's son-in-law, J.B. O'Hara (who had become involved in company management), discovered research showing that sugar provided energy and that most people experience a let-down during the work day at around 10:30am, 2:30pm, and 4:30pm. That was the origin of the advertising slogan, "Drink a bite to eat at 10, 2, and 4." I'm sure the caffeine didn't hurt, either. There have been a number of other "peppy" slogans, including the one I now can't get out of my head, "I'm a Pepper, You're a Pepper, Wouldn't You Like to Be a Pepper, Too?" The current slogan apparently is, "Now is the time." So looks like they're not limiting you to 10, 2, and 4 anymore.

What's in it? The Dr Pepper company denies cherry and kola flavorings. They also deny the other rumors that Dr Pepper now or ever contained prunes, black pepper, chili pepper, bell pepper, peppermint, or prune juice. According to William Poundstone in his book Big Secrets, "the formula contains 23 ingredients and is locked in two bank vaults. Four people know it. The only surprise ingredient on the label ingredient panel is lactic acid. That is what gives sour milk its bite. If you hold some Dr Pepper in your mouth a few minutes before swallowing, there is a slight yogurt like note." He goes on to say that a query to the Dr Pepper company vice president confirmed that synthetic vanillin is an ingredient.

Looking at the label on the can I see neither lactic acid nor vanillin, but they could be included in the category "artificial flavors." Here's what I found: "carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup, caramel color, phosphoric acid, artificial and natural flavors, sodium benzoate (preservative), caffeine." Dr Pepper in some regions lists "Imperial Cane Sugar" in the label ingredients, and in other regions you'll see "high fructose corn syrup." True afficionados claim the cane sugar version tastes better (some of us prefer wine tasting, but there's room on the planet for all kinds of folks).

Apparently in Canada lactic acid is sometimes listed on the can, as well as polyethylene glycol. In the 1950s, the Dr Pepper company published a brochure that said, "Its unique flavor results from the blending of pure fruit flavors (gathered throughout the world) with mystic spices from far-off Madagascar, and clean, clear distilled sparkling water." I guess polyethylene glycol could be one of those mystic spices. Dr Pepper contains 39.6 milligrams of caffeine in every 12 oz. can.

Several other soft drink manufacturers have tried to rip off the Dr Pepper flavor. Mr. Pibb is Coca Cola's unsuccessful effort to drive the good Dr out of the market. According to Advertising Age (December 1997), Coke is planning another Dr Pepper clone that is due out soon.

For more info (yes there is more--much more), go to www.drpepper.com or the vast unofficial (sheesh, get a life, guys) alt.fan.dr-pepper FAQ at http://www.lib.ox .ac.uk/internet/news/faq/archive/drink.dr-pepper.html

FRY

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
it does matter how fast the water flows thur the di filter ,on 100 gpd filter only 4.8 gal of water should pass thur di filter per hour,if more water then 4.8 gal per hour flows the tds will start to climb,and as the filter gets used the flow should be less then 4.8 gal ,

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
so to prevent this can you put a restrictor in line before the DI filter.
I've seen restrictors for psi ratings, I'm not sure if I've seen them in gph.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
JH,

I was once counseled to understand that the water has to take it's course - meaning you need to put it through the decided upon amount of filters and to leave it be. That being said, having 2 DI IS overkill as most local tap water TDS readings are within range of purity for a 4 stage system. I know mine is 270 out of the tap and I get 0 readings. Also, pushing the water faster than the unit is designed to work is also not the right thing to do - again, same counseling session.

You may want to look at your filters - these cheaper versions seem to give trouble, not sure if thet're mismarked, improperly constructed or what

I can say with 100% accuracy that I have not had any problems with my until producing anything less than 0 TDS readings - that's why I stick to buying them from the people wo made the unit and the couseling is free.

At best, I would use a booster pump, a 4 stage system (100gpd) with an RO bypass for drinking.

Keep in mind (not sure if you ever watch myth busters) that pure water doesn't boil, and if you ever decide (or your girlfriend decides) to use the pure water for drinking, and microwaves it, it could explode when impurities are introduced.

Anyway, my thoughts

House

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
hey Frank, do you mean me or Jim, I was the one setting up the system, Jim was advising me :)
unfortunately I did not receive the pump yet, the company had a computer melt down and they did not get all the orders shipped. I spoke to them today and they are sending me the parts priority. I also ordered a permeate pump and a electric auto shut off valve. I hope to have it all set up by this weekend.
If anyone needs RO equipment, or parts, I recommend dealing with Bryan Crenshaw at his company www.purelyh2o.com .Bryan started out in the business developing RO system's for aquariums, he knows his stuff, and is happy to help out other reefers.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
jhale said:
If anyone needs RO equipment, or parts, I recommend dealing with Bryan Crenshaw at his company www.purelyh2o.com .Bryan started out in the business developing RO system's for aquariums, he knows his stuff, and is happy to help out other reefers.

I second this. I bought my RO/DI unit from him via eBay and spoke to him several times during the process. He was absolutely helpful and willing to answer my questions despite taking a profit cut. ;)

Dean

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: