James404

MH for Life!
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Heres exactly two months of growth and color I just achieved, this had been posted in my build thread:

Joe the Coral progression
Jan 8th
DSC_0379.jpg

March 7th
DSC_0061.jpg

Purple Wild colony progression
Jan 8th
DSC_0384_754.jpg

March 7th
DSC_0062.jpg

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
So when are you putting in those 10K bulbs James? They'll be no competition if you do. You'd be whoopin' azz if ya did...

Why mess around? Just go for the Iwasaki 65K NOTHING beats them for growth. And I might add that there was a long period of time in the hobby when Iwasaki's supplemented with VHO actinics were THE lighting choice of advanced hobbyists. The tanks looked pretty darn good too.

James404

MH for Life!
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Why mess around? Just go for the Iwasaki 65K NOTHING beats them for growth. And I might add that there was a long period of time in the hobby when Iwasaki's supplemented with VHO actinics were THE lighting choice of advanced hobbyists. The tanks looked pretty darn good too.

Man 6500s they must have grown like weeds. I like the balance of color/growth I get with the radiums though.

batt600

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
27   3   0
I been using LEDs for 1 year know , I had MH and T5 one thing i can say about LEDs is thay make sps grow faster and it brings out the color even more in sps. My friend switch over to LEDs as well and he will never go back to T5. People are to scared to do the switch because of bleaching , but what people forget is how much par theys LEDs put out, so starting at 50% is way to much to get your corals us to the lights. The other problem is how high you have them . Normal hight for led fixture is 12inch above tank any lower is nothing but problems.

Leds are great , just alot of people that had bad experience with leds just didnt know what thay were doing and at that time there wasnt much info and help to guide you the right way.

jerl77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
I been using LEDs for 1 year know , I had MH and T5 one thing i can say about LEDs is thay make sps grow faster and it brings out the color even more in sps. My friend switch over to LEDs as well and he will never go back to T5. People are to scared to do the switch because of bleaching , but what people forget is how much par theys LEDs put out, so starting at 50% is way to much to get your corals us to the lights. The other problem is how high you have them . Normal hight for led fixture is 12inch above tank any lower is nothing but problems.

Leds are great , just alot of people that had bad experience with leds just didnt know what thay were doing and at that time there wasnt much info and help to guide you the right way.

Don't you dose vodka or vinger?

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
What I commonly hear from the guys running LED's is that people didn't know how to run them back when LED's first came out or you need to run them at 50% or hang them 12" off the tank or.....

LED's have been out long enough at this point that I think it's been long enough that those who adopted them should have STUNNING tanks by now.

I see only 2 benefits to running LEDS over MH and 1 over T5's. Heat and electric for the MH's and Electric for the T5's.

If we want to talk purely growth than nothing will touch a 6.5K or 10K MH.

If you talk color choice T5 hands down. Now yes the radions have pretty nice color to them but lets face it, $1500 for 2... Seriously?

I won't go so far as to say T5's for life but it will be MH/T5 for as long as they make them and I can run them for me....

And yes Gary your tank is pretty sweet, even for an LED tank ;)

jerl77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Only reason he is saying this is he wants free frags Sunday when he is over lol:backtotopQUOTE=strgazr27;1128548]What I commonly hear from the guys running LED's is that people didn't know how to run them back when LED's first came out or you need to run them at 50% or hang them 12" off the tank or.....

LED's have been out long enough at this point that I think it's been long enough that those who adopted them should have STUNNING tanks by now.

I see only 2 benefits to running LEDS over MH and 1 over T5's. Heat and electric for the MH's and Electric for the T5's.

If we want to talk purely growth than nothing will touch a 6.5K or 10K MH.

If you talk color choice T5 hands down. Now yes the radions have pretty nice color to them but lets face it, $1500 for 2... Seriously?

I won't go so far as to say T5's for life but it will be MH/T5 for as long as they make them and I can run them for me....

And yes Gary your tank is pretty sweet, even for an LED tank ;)[/QUOTE]

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Im wondering for the guys that tried the ACAN LED which model did you have.When i was looking into the ACANS Ken at acan was straight up with me on which model to get a exclusive SPS tank and that was the A103. I know some of the other models are not the right choice for SPS but more of softies,LPS and maybe clams.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: