budddman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Im going to gary's for frags. I switched out power compact on my nano for 3 ecoxotic panorama led bars. I cant complain about the growth at all it has been awesome. However overtime i have lost ALOT of color. Only one piece of sps has maintained its color and im assuming thats because it has grown right to the surface of the water.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Reefs

irvp13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
I used ot have MH PC combo, now I've had 3 Wingo's Grandslam bars for 6 months and the growth has been great, color pretty much the same with white/blue on, but when only the blues are on is spectacular.
Most of my tank is LPS and zoas and the 3 pieces of SPS that I have have been growing pretty good too, I dont know about their color since I got them when I had the LED already.
I dont think I'm going back, for me is kind of the same without heat, noise and spending $200 bucks every 9 months to replace the bulbs.

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
as painful as it is, i have to agree with jerl.. haha just kidding bud, its not painful but i do agree with you.. i have a ecoxotic panorama unit over my 92g corner... u have decent coloring of my corals( after i added 9 stunner strips of blue and blue/magenta) the problem i have noticed is i have a dead zone dead center in my tank below the panel, each and every frag or colony that goes in that area either bleaches out or eventually craps out.. around the outer ring of the panel i get good growth and color...

on the flip side i wish i never wasted almost a grand on the lighting bc i can take the same coral from that tank and put it in either one of my frag systems and they will have better color "pop" as well as polyp extension.. on one of my frag tanks i have a 6 bulb t5 36" and on my other frag tank i have a 10 bulb t5 48" and the colors are great..

so if it were up to me i would go back to t5s on my display tank..

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
what kind of LEDs bigcap. i have no problems AT ALL with growing SPS. everything stays alive and do very well. i havent bleached any SPS out yet. i also just put 2 frags high in my tank before adjusting them to the light 2 weeks ago and they are fine and matter of fact my fire ice already encrusted in the 2 weeks

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Those stunner strips are really only accent lighting, the panorama modules are the real lighting.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Reefs

i know that thats why i added 9 of them to get the right color... but i still have a problem with bleaching.. dont know if its bc the modules in the unit are 8white to 4 blue per panel and theres 6 panels but theyre only 1w each not 3 like most other units..

i just never cared for it.. and maybe it put a bad taste in my mouth but who knows..

yet my buddy tynman has led's done by wingo and he has absolutly amazing color and growth.. so im sure theres more factors than just the lights in every case

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
yet my buddy tynman has led's done by wingo and he has absolutly amazing color and growth.. so im sure theres more factors than just the lights in every case

I should not release too much business tricks here, lmfao(first time I used this term, I should put it on a short key, lmfao.)

Distribution of intensity is very important in LED lighting. The distribution of the LEDs, the angular property of LEDs and property of using proper lens are not easy to master. Let's say the way MOST DIY and commercial fixtures are not set up optimally for the health of the tank but more optimally for production and/or in following "misguided common sense of even distribution(rampant in RC)." The distribution of intensity issue is VERY apparent in the PAR data measured in MatthewScars' tank. You may ask him of his experience.

Last edited:

jerl77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Wow the only smart one here lol added you to my buddy list
as painful as it is, i have to agree with jerl.. haha just kidding bud, its not painful but i do agree with you.. i have a ecoxotic panorama unit over my 92g corner... u have decent coloring of my corals( after i added 9 stunner strips of blue and blue/magenta) the problem i have noticed is i have a dead zone dead center in my tank below the panel, each and every frag or colony that goes in that area either bleaches out or eventually craps out.. around the outer ring of the panel i get good growth and color...

on the flip side i wish i never wasted almost a grand on the lighting bc i can take the same coral from that tank and put it in either one of my frag systems and they will have better color "pop" as well as polyp extension.. on one of my frag tanks i have a 6 bulb t5 36" and on my other frag tank i have a 10 bulb t5 48" and the colors are great..

so if it were up to me i would go back to t5s on my display tank..

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
i think we should do a little test. im willing to go get a small colony of acro with some people who have t-5 ,MH and me with the acan LED.put the acro at the same height in each tank and see which lighting gives the best growth and colors.i know there are other factors as water chemistry and other but we can get as close as we can to chemistry as we can. maybe 2 guys who also run a cal reactor as well.

jerl77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
I want in on this big time.you will get me on growth I know that but there is no way on color I dose two part some we should be good one that the only problem i see is that I am giving you an sps with color now and your giving me an brown led Sps lol I want this one set it up buddy I only ask one thing when I win you must post that t5 are better the LEDs lmfao bring it :eek:rangehat
i think we should do a little test. im willing to go get a small colony of acro with some people who have t-5 ,MH and me with the acan LED.put the acro at the same height in each tank and see which lighting gives the best growth and colors.i know there are other factors as water chemistry and other but we can get as close as we can to chemistry as we can. maybe 2 guys who also run a cal reactor as well.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
ok jerl your in ill get charliethetuna to do this as well.we are going to get a small colony from a LFS and start fresh. its only fair because your sps has already adjusted to your tank parameters. we will chip in for the coral..sounds good?

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
I want in on this big time.you will get me on growth I know that but there is no way on color I dose two part some we should be good one that the only problem i see is that I am giving you an sps with color now and your giving me an brown led Sps lol I want this one set it up buddy I only ask one thing when I win you must post that t5 are better the LEDs lmfao bring it :eek:rangehat

Even though the results have no scientific meaning to the theory being tested here, I still want to see the results whoever the winner is. It's a game after all. :beer:

jerl77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
I am free next week I can come to you to,love to see this tank you keep talking about
I think we should buy a colony from some where frag it in half and see in 2 months who's looks better ? Using the same camera and setting ?

jerl77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Any day next week but thursday or we can get together at riverhead next weekend ?damm this is going to be easy lol
ok jerl your in ill get charliethetuna to do this as well.we are going to get a small colony from a LFS and start fresh. its only fair because your sps has already adjusted to your tank parameters. we will chip in for the coral..sounds good?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: