Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
brando how long did you have the LEDs hooked up for before you witched back

About 4 months I'd say, then setup a frag tank with a led light and considering doing T5 or MH over that!

The thing about the leds even with the ecotech, my reds were brown, all my gorgeous acans under t5 turned brown or orange. LPS bleached, could never tune it to match teh colors of my old TEK fixture and the shimmer hurt my eyes.

my cousin has been running the AI light for around 8 months now and his tank is okay, but again his reds are orange, his acans turned brown/orange and his sps some bleached while others love the light and are growing great.

I think that we need a lot more research/time done to build a good fixture. Think about how many fixtures popped up in the past 2 years alone... I've been in the hobby for 3 years and when I started LEDS were never mentioned, then BOOM everywhere.

I think like everyone else said in another 2-3 years they will be great and useful, but still long way to go. Until then I'm sticking with my ATI fixture and a strip of blue leds to give that night moonlight effect at night! :grouphug:

James404

MH for Life!
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I played with all sorts of heights, from 12" up to 2 feet off the water, too low and you fry the corals in the middle and get no spread to the rest of the tank, too high and no par. Doesn't matter now, that fixture is long gone, I threw a 150w MH on the tank, no messing around with settings , beautiful colors, great growth, shimmer that doesnt make me want to throw up.

rbtwo4

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
i personally dont think the reason for these tanks looking so AWESOME are because of the LED's but the way they take care of their tank. i was looking into getting an AI Sol but now after reading all these pro's and cons about led's i think ill go with Jerl77 and stick with T5's

knugenx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
308   0   0
I've been running LED for almost 2yrs and am satisfied with the results. My corals (mostly sps) are growing (all from frags) well and I no complaints about the coloration. I originally started with 250MH (the debate back then was MH vs T5 and I chose MH)...so I was never the T5 person since the beginning and after the switched to LED.

Feel free to comeby to see the tank which will speak for itself.

BTW I do not run a high-end LED fixture...these were those Chinese fixtures from the RC Groupbuy a few years back. Maybe that's why I'm not hating!?!

garys reef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Here we go again I have AI 's over my tank for about a year now the growth im getting from both sps and Lps is incredible and as for color see for yourself or ask someone that has seen my tank
aee28aa8-a4cf-cc2a.jpg

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

bigsink

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
469   0   0
Gary, that is a sweet loking tank. I have been running the Radion on my frag tank for 6 months now. I am wishing that I never spent the money on it. The frag tank is a 50 breeder and the fixture is 12" above the water. I run it at 70% on the 18K setting. It is great for growth with zoanthids and LPS. My Duncans split like crazy. However, the SPS are a disaster. They lose color and polyp extension. I am very disappointed. I am adding some Reefbrites this week to see if this helps anything.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: