Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Im not saying I wouldnt but lets think of how much water it would take to do that? Assuming it would have to continuously flow over the stand for the wood to weaken and split around the fasteners.. What if I when i skin it i glue it, that should help significantly strengthen it all around..

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I understand and appreciate your suggestions and comments as you were kind enough to reply. Im going to pick up construction adhesive and go over everything to be 100%. im also going to run supports in the back and 1 in center for the front.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
No worries. Companies who manufacture these stands know more about the structural integrity than I do. So I always go on the extreme side of caution.
I like the clear front without a support. I think if you skinned a 3/4 ply front and back you could go without a center brace. Or you could get some metal L channel at Home Depot to frame the inside of the top. Or you could do both which is what I would do to sleep at night.
I think you will curse putting a support there. They only get in the way.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Updated:
Replaced lower frame with 2x6", replaced all vertical mounts with 2x6. Glue each seam & laminated backside using NP construction. Drilled pilot holes and used deckmate coated screws. By using the 2x6 lower frame I gained about 1" of additional clearance which is great. I will now be able to line the outside with cabinet grade 1/2 plywood and I will also make half columns for each side for the front and trim it up..
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348352921.661147.jpg

Mvb406

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I am new to the hobby. I have a 55 gallon tall tank with a Tom aquarium rapids pro ro3 plus filter. I have a 300 watt heater and 2 hidor pico 300 jets. I have about 50 pounds of live sand and 80 pounds of Caribbean sea base rock. The lighting consists of 2 sea world t5 ho 39 watts 12000 k, 2 sea world t5 ho 39 watts actinic bulbs and 6 led moon lights. As of now I put in 6 blue green chromis to start the cycling process. So how am I doing so far? Ultimately I want to grow coralline algae for my base rock and keep beginner corals and reef safe fish. Please give me advice on how I can accomplish my goal and what other equipment I will need. The tank has been operating for 5 days so far and I am not going to rush any aspect of my build. All the advice and comments are very welcomed and I look forward to hearing back. Thank you for your help in this.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Saw your pics and saw some broken glass. Is one of the sump tanks broken? Also your skimmer looks to be too small.

You have two tanks and the problem with this is how to transfer water between them without creating the potential for problems while leaving enough room for backflow in case of power outage.
One of your tanks has a hole drilled through the bottom and you could use that as the final compartment. You could use that tank for your skimmer also and use the other tank solely as a fuge. You could tee off the return to feed your fuge.
The limitation you would have with this setup is the flow rated for the diameter bulkhead you would put in that hole. Plus you would have to leave enough space between them for backflow.
How will your DT drain? Are you planning on using filter socks?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: