Rating - 100%
22   0   0
If I can avoid using filter socks that would be great. I currently use filter pads with a drip tray. The broken glass is from the middle divider that was in the 40 breeder. I just have to remove all the glass and clean it. The skimmer is brand new and I received it as a gift. It's rated for 185 gallons. I was gonna use it and save for a new one. Should I use a 75 and baffle it?

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I think one tank would be a better idea than two. Mainly the pattern of flow will be less prone to failure. There are plenty of things that can go catastrophically bad with saltwater systems and any time you can eliminate one of them you are reducing the potential for problems.

There is usually a dollar per gallon sale going on many times during the year. Petland Discounts had one that included the 75. Not sure if Petco does.

When you plan out your sump you should have a footprint for a large skimmer in mind. That way you can drop one in without major changes.
Your skimmer is rates for a lightly stocked tank in that range. But you will have about a 200 gallon system. 150 in the DT and about 50 in the sump.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
If you want to use the external pump you will have to drill it. You cannot drill tempered glass and the tanks for dollar per gallon may be tempered. Make sure before you buy.
Or you could buy a sump. There are ones that will pop up in the marketplace that are usually good deals. And if you find an acrylic one you can drill that easily.
Or you could use a submersible pump in either sump which I did.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Picking up my new customKing sump this weekend. Going to have it drilled so I can run my iwaki external pump. Also will run twin returns on each overflow and my reactors. I ordered the wrong size for the lock line like a jacka$$. 3/4" instead of 1/2". I guess I can get a reducer. Finishing up my stand this weekend. Will post pics with tank on the stand this weekend.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349559515.905410.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349559538.214004.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349559554.947831.jpg
Thats the new sump. Had some time to work on the stand. Its almost ready.

xxxAngeloxxx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Nice sump dude! Cant wait till I re do my whole sump over again going with a trigger sump this time around.

Dimensions: 30" long x 12" wide x 15"

High Drain/Skimmer Section: 11" x 11.5"

Center/Refugium Section: 9.5" x 11.5"

Return Pump Section: 6" x 11.5" Total

Water Volume: 21.3 gallons Operating

Water Volume: 15.4 gallons*

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: