Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Hey Guys,
Here is what I have in equipment.

95 gallon wave tank (currently running)
150 gallon dual overflows with mega flow kits (just bought it used)
55 long
40 breeder drilled with 2 holes on bottom (holes are on opposite sides)
30 long
Oceanic model 2 sump
20 breeder

Iwaki MD-40rxt external pump
Mag5
Bubble Magnus Nac7 skimmer
2 x TLF Reactors
2 x 1050 korilias
2 x 1200 maxi jets

48" deep blue 4 bulb T5 fixture
2 x 175 metal halides

I an into a issue with the stand not being tall enough or wide enough for the 40 breeder, 55 long. My original plan was to run the 55 long as the sump plumbed into the oceanic model 2 (convert into Refugium). So I was thinking of building a stand large enough for the 40 breeder (sump) plumb into 30 long (refugium). I need some help figuring out what my best solution/system is. I plan on selling the 95 wave and buy some LEDs down the line because the 95 wave's contents will be transferred into the new 150. What's MR's opinion.:Yikes:

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
selling the 95 after 150 is up and running sounds like a good idea, two large tanks would be tough to maintain (although im sure several do it and do it well)

build yourself a stand that would serve your needs. ideally if you could make the fuge visible that would be a nice touch. display tank-fuge, then sump under stand.
ton of information on diy stands, fishandtips.xxx was easy to follow site

not sure if your equip you have listed will work for 150, easy enough to find out. if not im sure you could sell that stuff or trade just as easy
if didnt want to buy new lights you can use what you have for time being and center it over tank.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Well the idea was for the dual overflows was to T off the line loc for two return jets with accelerators on each jet for a goal of 4return jets ran off the external iwaki. I wanted to make a manifold for the returns and the reactors. One for carbon and one for Gfo. I was going to put my power heads on the back wall facing the front glass for the time being until I can buy a wave box or a 2 mp40's. They are just really expensive.. The protein skimmer is rated for 185 gallons so I think that would work good for now.

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
what is the dimensions of the 150?, IMO, i would use the 55 as a fuge, because it is taller and you can drill the top and have it flow into the 40. and use the 40 as a sump, because it is wider and you can always upgrade to bigger skimmers. as far as having the power the power heads on the back wall i wouldn't do it, you are going to have 4 returns already facing the front glass, i would put them on the sides with a wave controller if they can handle it. some power heads cant handle on/off. Let me know if you need any help designing the stand

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Dimensions for the 150 are 72 1/2" long x 18 1/2" wide x 29 1/4" deep. If I use the 55 I will need at least 1.5ft of extra room in the stand to accomadate for the 55 and 40 breeder. Unless with that extra room on top I can put a 20 gallon breeder for a frag tank. I was going to make the stand 74" long x 24" wide x 32" tall. I was going to box the top frame out of 2x6's, bottom frame 2x4's, all supports 2x4's. What do you think I was going to home depot to buy the lumber today.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
y5ada9uz.jpg
. There it is guys. Opinions are always welcomed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I would:
Add some jack studs between the upper and lower horizon pieces to support the weight of the tank.
Add a laminate of plywood screwed and glued to the inside of both the upper horizontal long piece. Just cause you really don't want that to move. At all.
I would also laminate over all the entire frame with a 1/2 or 3/4 heavy duty plywood screwed and glued to add rigidity. It will also smooth the finish.
Did you use a waterproof glue when assembling?

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I was going cut 2x4's for support from top to bottom. I can use 2x6's or 2x4's. However I didnt use any glue. Didnt even think of that. I was going to then line the outside with 1/4" ply but you bring up a valid point with 1/2 or 3/4 for rigidity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
The exterior will be laminated as well as top and bottom. I am not 100% sure if I will laminate the inside entirely. I like having that extra room up top incase I upgrade my skimmer down the line. Once I add the 2x6 supports in the back and front that should help significantly, then I will skin the outside and make doors for the sides and front. I wana have access to the sides just in case as well as the front doors. The top I will skin also with plywood then a foam board. I will do the same for the inside floor. I will finish up the supports after work today and I will search the web local stores for the best price on the plywood boards for the outside and top.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: