Custom05Taco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I have to vent a little. I've read some posts on here where it seems to me. I could be wrong that people just watched there tanks crash. I understand if you where evacuated or have a infant to worry about. I just don't understand the rest.

I busted my ass saving my tank. I don't have a generator. I have a inverter in my truck that I ran off the battery with a 100' extension cord to my tank. I had to start my truck every 45min I did that for 6 days it was horrible. I had to jump my truck a bunch of times, where I let it sit to long without starting it.
My power came back! Then went out again! so I found a generator. I didn't want to go through that nightmare again. My power came back that night.
I'm not judging anyone. Everybody has different circumstances its just sad that so many people lost there tanks and animals suffered.

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Losing one's tank does not mean being unprepared. I have the Vortex battery backup, I wrapped my tank in blankets, covered it to make sure evaporation was not going to lower the temperature, I bought a battery-operated air pump, that saved half of my fish in my reef tank and all my dwarf seahorses.

But 5 days without power was enough to kill 90% of my corals. The only thing I did not try was to boil water and pour it back into the tank. I thought about it but was worried that the metal would leach some crap into the water, nuking the tank, and the live rock for sure.

You need to understand that for those of us with live in New York, a generator is a no-go, and a car is not something we have.

I am looking into battery+inverter based solutions for "next time". But nobody could have told "hey you will lose power and heat for a week".

rcharliesam

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Personally, I did everything I could. Was heating up water in bags, floating them in the tank, cupping and pouring water back into the tank to add some oxygen... there came a point where I could no longer compete with the dropping temp. My house at the lowest was 44 degrees, by time I got power back, the tank was at 50... I also did a 5 gallon water change (34 gal tank) to introduce fresh clean water for the fish.

I work, so that pulled me away from opportunities to help the tank and my wife and 3yo were staying elsewhere and I needed to make time for them too. I would imagine most here did everything that they could to save their tanks. I didn't think it was all worth putting in to the initial post, personally. It's probably best not to assume.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Hmmmmmmm, I have been keeping fish for 20 years, feeders, guppies, koi and now a reef tank and not once in 20 years did I lose power for more than a few hours and that was very rarely.

I don?t keep SPS corals that greatly suffer from PH issues that a few hours without power can cause.

Most of us have had no reason for owning a generator, inverter or other gadget for the very reason stated, we had never lived through such a lengthy power outage.

Very few people actually sat there and simply watched their tank die but lack of light, temperature, parameters fluctuating and super extended power outages proved to be too much for corals and other sensitive life forms and in some cases even the fish themselves.

I actually was fortunate enough to find a small inverter, a stupid 200W that was enough to power hydors and nothing else.

You want to know what busting your ass really is? Waking up every hour on the hour to boil and splash water for 48 hours in order to generate oxygen and maintain a survivable water temperature and your wife alternating with you and your son staying up with you because he too wanted to save his beloved pets.

With all due respect, if you were fortunate enough to have an inverter good for you!

Some of us never in this world imagined such a vast disaster, knowing now that every Fall we seem to be having similar storms I am sure many of us have already began creating back up plans.

I have to vent a little. I've read some posts on here where it seems to me. I could be wrong that people just watched there tanks crash. I understand if you where evacuated or have a infant to worry about. I just don't understand the rest.

I busted my ass saving my tank. I don't have a generator. I have a inverter in my truck that I ran off the battery with a 100' extension cord to my tank. I had to start my truck every 45min I did that for 6 days it was horrible. I had to jump my truck a bunch of times, where I let it sit to long without starting it.
My power came back! Then went out again! so I found a generator. I didn't want to go through that nightmare again. My power came back that night.
I'm not judging anyone. Everybody has different circumstances its just sad that so many people lost there tanks and animals suffered.

Custom05Taco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Hmmmmmmm, I have been keeping fish for 20 years, feeders, guppies, koi and now a reef tank and not once in 20 years did I lose power for more than a few hours and that was very rarely.

I don?t keep SPS corals that greatly suffer from PH issues that a few hours without power can cause.

Most of us have had no reason for owning a generator, inverter or other gadget for the very reason stated, we had never lived through such a lengthy power outage.

Very few people actually sat there and simply watched their tank die but lack of light, temperature, parameters fluctuating and super extended power outages proved to be too much for corals and other sensitive life forms and in some cases even the fish themselves.

I actually was fortunate enough to find a small inverter, a stupid 200W that was enough to power hydors and nothing else.

You want to know what busting your ass really is? Waking up every hour on the hour to boil and splash water for 48 hours in order to generate oxygen and maintain a survivable water temperature and your wife alternating with you and your son staying up with you because he too wanted to save his beloved pets.

With all due respect, if you were fortunate enough to have an inverter good for you!

Some of us never in this world imagined such a vast disaster, knowing now that every Fall we seem to be having similar storms I am sure many of us have already began creating back up plans.

I woke up every 45min for 6 days starting my truck freezing my ass off and didn't have any help. My house dropped to 48 degrees but that's not the point.
I guess some posts where not clear and I did assume. This whole thing is sad to me. I'm sure everyone did what they could just hope where better prepared next time.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily lost only my 9 head Duncan and 11 head hammer. No power for 9 days and ran generator just to keep tank warm and flowing. Lost 6 of 7 chromosome I had but fared better than most. Not only staying in looking to upgrade from 70 to 150 gal

Thavngr98

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I ended up losing a 1 fish and 2 pieces of Coral. I actually had everything going pretty good while the power was out. I think when the power came back on the 2 pieces went into shock or something. I am thankful that is all I lost though. So many lost so much more (not just corals)

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
I only lost power for 20 hours but did not have a generator so i was in my car running an inverter on and off every hour running the powerhead. my weak inverter couldn't run the heater.

Luckily i had 0% loss in my tank at home because it was such a short period of time and the temp in the tank didn't go down too low.

But like most people I learned my lesson and I have a generator now. 8k continuous If i had lost power for the duration most people did. I would have suffered a significant loss.

JT101

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost (1) leather coral which "melted" on Day 9 of 13.

Was able to limp along with partial power from my camper's 1725W inverter.

I'm very sorry for those whose tanks were wiped out - and of course for those who lost so much more...

:(

Last edited:

brand

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
casualty of sandy..

my buddy lost all these fish but he still hanging in there .. couple of these fish were with him for like 4 yrs. :sad2:

he had generator but he lost power for like week and half to much stress of on and off at night.. some survived.

my condolences to him and his fish.

Attachments

• Bronx-20121117-00369.jpg
    Bronx-20121117-00369.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 100
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lucked out personally. Didn't lose power once...did have two huge trees fall on my house tho. Had to patch up the roof during the nor' Easter. Not fun nailing down tar paper on a 40 degree pitch with an inch of slush on the roof while neighbors stare like wtf is this nut job doing?!?

JMar101786

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Location - West Islip (South of Montauk Highway)

Loss -
Fish - 25% - A copperband, Achilles Tang
Coral - A little more than 25% but less than 50% -

I lost power for 2 weeks - have a 7500 watt (constant) generator that ran from 7AM to Midnight

The loss of the fish was mainly due to food - no power to keep frozen food from defrosting and the 2 fish i lost only ate frozen.

I think the coral died due to the temp swings during the night since it was pretty cold at night and we had no form of heat for 2 weeks...some nights dropped down to low 40's high 30's and i just couldn't compete with that and unfortuantely i couldn't keep the generator running for 24 hours with the fuel shortage.

i didn't think fuel was going to be an issue... my generator consumes 5 gals every 15 hours so you figure i had the generator running 17 hours...consuming just about 6 gallons and i had stocked about 50 gallons away thinking i'd be more than fine....big mistake

Definitely staying in the hobby !

Best of luck to all of those who need to rebuild homes and tanks

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: