Angelfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Doesn't look like ich. Would guess flukes. Prozipro can be used in the tank, and will get all the flukes, unlike a fw dip will only get what's on the fish, then they will get them again if the tank is not treated in some way. Although few dip will offer immediate relief. Prozipro will take almost two weeks for a thorough 2 consecutive round treatment.
Can I mix prozipro with copper? A one-two punch? Where can I buy prozipro? Any local fish store?

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
You can but I wouldn't recommend full strength copper when mixing. Would recommend prozipro first, separately, because it's a much quicker treatment than copper, then you may find you don't need copper
Yes, sold all over the place. Follow the directions

Angelfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Ok I went ahead and gave the blue ring a fw dip, made sure the pH and temperature were the same as the tanks, are you supposed to see immediate results? I'll wait till the morning to get a good look at him, right now he's hiding behind the rocks and the lights are already programmed off. Hopefully the dip eliminates the parasites (if that's what it is) on him and I can have time to buy the prozi and copper tomorrow.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I'm not sure those are flukes, really can't tell from the pictures, and it's usually very hard to see flukes on the fish unless the pictures is a close up. If you didn't see anything come off the fish after the fresh water dip then you most likely don't have flukes.

Copper doesn't kill Flukes, but it will work on Ich. Using both together isn't a problem, and you can use both together at full strength with no issues, though when if you are going to use copper make sure that you have a test kit to measure the copper level, as too low doesn't do anything and too high can kill the fish. Remember, you need to treat the fish for what it has, using the correct medication/method. Going forward you need to QT all of your fish before you place any into your main tank, this way you can eliminate something like this happening.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Ok I went ahead and gave the blue ring a fw dip, made sure the pH and temperature were the same as the tanks, are you supposed to see immediate results? I'll wait till the morning to get a good look at him, right now he's hiding behind the rocks and the lights are already programmed off. Hopefully the dip eliminates the parasites (if that's what it is) on him and I can have time to buy the prozi and copper tomorrow.

You won't see immediate results, aside from seeing the dead flukes if you saw them. You will see the fish within hours acting better.
If you're hell bent on using copper use cupramine
https://www.marinedepot.com/Seachem...MEPS-vi.html?gclid=CNr0sou3zNQCFZBLDQodio8Kuw
There's lots of beneficial stuff in your tank that will all die when using copper of any type. Your rocks and sand will soak it up and you won't be able to put inverts for many months, and no coral for longer. Even when you follow the directions exactly the fish will suffer and be damaged. Also make sure you get the right type copper test kit for the type of copper you use.

Last edited:

Angelfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Wish it was that easy.....

Angelfish- like themeat asked, did you see any flukes come off? How long you dip for?

You plan on bombing your main tank with prazi and copper?
He was dipped for 5 minutes, I saw no stuff come off him and when I looked at him this morning there was no change in his eye, also I notice some white blotches on his forehead. Will post more pics

Angelfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You won't see immediate results, aside from seeing the dead flukes if you saw them. You will see the fish within hours acting better.
If you're hell bent on using copper use cupramine
https://www.marinedepot.com/Seachem...MEPS-vi.html?gclid=CNr0sou3zNQCFZBLDQodio8Kuw
There's lots of beneficial stuff in your tank that will all die when using copper of any type. Your rocks and sand will soak it up and you won't be able to put inverts for many months, and no coral for longer. Even when you follow the directions exactly the fish will suffer and be damaged. Also make sure you get the right type copper test kit for the type of copper you use.
So there's been no change with a 5 minute fw dip, his eye looks just as bad and I see some whitish blotches now on his forehead, this is a fowlr so not concerned with coral or invertebrate but I am hesitant on copper, I'm thinking just use prozi for now and see what happens, still not entirely sure this is even flukes or ich as no change happened even with a fw dip. I'll try and get some pics

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
I'm thinking just use prozi for now and see what happens, still not entirely sure this is even flukes or ich as no change happened even with a fw dip. I'll try and get some pics

If you didn't see anything come off then you don't have flukes. Don't need to dose prazi, cupramine will kill all life except the beneficial bacteria. Meaning if you have worms and pods they will die and so will your coraline.

Looking at your angels there is something else going on unfortunately, does not look like ich in my opinion. But dosing cupramine would not hurt, just make sure to get salifert copper test kit.

Good luck, i know how you feel been there many times and it sucks.

Also, this is what you should have seen from the fw dip. Looks like white sesame seeds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3c3XV4jySw

Angelfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Pics, anyone know what he's got?

Attachments

• 20170620_103722.jpg
    20170620_103722.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 20170620_103754.jpg
    20170620_103754.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 20170620_103715.jpg
    20170620_103715.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 20170620_103711.jpg
    20170620_103711.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 59

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Pics, anyone know what he's got?

We all told you its a bacterial infection.

There is no easy way around this, you have to take fish out and medicate. Looks like infection is spreading to the body so its not going to get better on its own.

I understand you are trying the figure out the cause, but the cause could be a simple fight with one of your tangs or tank mates.

Angelfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
We all told you its a bacterial infection.

There is no easy way around this, you have to take fish out and medicate. Looks like infection is spreading to the body so its not going to get better on its own.

I understand you are trying the figure out the cause, but the cause could be a simple fight with one of your tangs or tank mates.

Ok so what would you recommend I use? Copper or another product? Also is there a problem dousing the entire tank with said product? I keep no invertebrate or corals in it and don't plan too.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
You want to use a medicine that will treat a bacterial infection, something along the line of either Melafix, Furanase, or Furan-2. If Kanaplex treats bacterial infection you can use that too. I would also remove the fish and treat it in a separate tank or holding container. I would also start treating with copper. Once again you need to get a good test kit, as you need to treat at the correct level for it to work. I personal using Copper Power, which is very effective and more important lets you treat at higher level without worrying about killing the fish, which you can easily do with copper.

Go forward you should always QT all of your fish, as you never know what a fish may have, which if you place it directly into your MT you could ending up killing a lot, or all, of your fish.

Last edited:

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
If you didn't see anything come off then you don't have flukes. Don't need to dose prazi, cupramine will kill all life except the beneficial bacteria. Meaning if you have worms and pods they will die and so will your coraline.

Looking at your angels there is something else going on unfortunately, does not look like ich in my opinion. But dosing cupramine would not hurt, just make sure to get salifert copper test kit.

Good luck, i know how you feel been there many times and it sucks.

Also, this is what you should have seen from the fw dip. Looks like white sesame seeds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3c3XV4jySw
Agreed. But if you're not paying close attention and have good eyes and lighting you could easily miss it. Prazi will also be effective against internal worms, which are very common in angelfish.
Also agree that the bacterial infection we're seeing is likely secondary to some other issue or issues.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: