Angelfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi all, got a nice Annularis angel 2 weeks back, it's been eating well and has settled in, however yesterday I noticed one of its eyes was cloudy, today it's even more so, what is this, an infection? What would be the best way to treat it? It's tank mates are tangs and some other angels, any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20170619_125933.jpg
    20170619_125933.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 113

Angelfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It could also be a sign if ich, watch the fish and if it has other signs of ich and prepared to move it out and treat it with copper.
I don't see any white spots on it, what else should I look for? Is there a problem treating the full tank with copper? There's only other angels, a goby and tangs with it, I don't have a separate hospital tank.

Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
I honestly would leave him be for now and feed him well. it will most likely heal on its own if eating. Do not use copper if you have any inverts or plans on doing a reef tank. Try to stay away from copper as much as you could unless you had a QT tank. I don't see any need to treat with copper right now as you don't even know if the fish has ich. Ride it out for a few days and see what happens.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Look for excess breathing and even scratching. Even though you may not see any spots on the fish cloudy eyes is a sign of ich. I would watch the fish closely and prepare a hospital tank and then treat the fish with copper. Get a copper kit first and then slowly bring up the level. Since you don't have a hospital tank you can either pick up a small tank or use a good size Rubbermaid container as a hospital tank.

Last edited:

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Treating with copper when at this point it looks like a bacterial thing is silly. Could be ich but if it is you'll likely know soon enough. Keep water clean, feed well and see how it goes

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
If it's a bacteria infection then treating it with copper wouldn't be silly, it just wouldn't make any senses, especially since copper wouldn't cure a bacteria infection. If it's ich, which does attack a fish eyes, then copper is what you would need to use. Right now he needs to look for additional signs and get a hospital tank ready if need be.

Last edited:

Angelfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Look for excess breathing and even scratching. Even though you may not see any spots on the fish cloudy eyes is a sign of ich. I would watch the fish closely and prepare a hospital tank and then treat the fish with copper. Get a copper kit first and then slowly bring up the level. Since you don't have a hospital tank you can either pick up a small tank or use a good size Rubbermaid container as a hospital tank.

His breathing seems normal, how often would he be scratching? I don't see him doing so in the while I've watched him. Someone mentioned clear flarworms called neobenedenia? And that it can be treated with a freshwater bath? I think I'll take everyone's advice and leave him be for awhile but if anything else develops or it gets worse is there harm in a freshwater dip?

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
If it's a bacteria infection then treating it with copper wouldn't be silly, it just wouldn't make any senses, especially since copper wouldn't cure a bacteria infection. If it's ich, which does attack a fish eyes, then copper is what you would need to use. Right now he needs to look for additional signs and get a hospital tank ready if need be.

Thought that's what I said. Could be secondary infection from ich, but....
Ok, will try this...
Treating for ich when it at this point it looks like a bacterial infection makes no senses.

Better?

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
His breathing seems normal, how often would he be scratching? I don't see him doing so in the while I've watched him. Someone mentioned clear flarworms called neobenedenia? And that it can be treated with a freshwater bath? I think I'll take everyone's advice and leave him be for awhile but if anything else develops or it gets worse is there harm in a freshwater dip?

Even if you adjust ph and temp to match tank, it causes stress and is taking a chance. It can be very good at killing pests but most effective before the fish goes into tank. Because once the pest is in the tank, with most pests, the fw dip will only offer temporary relief since it can get the pest again because it is likely still in the tank.

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
From my own experience that looks like secondary bac infection like everyone mentioned. The flatworms you mentioned are also know as flukes. Which loves eyeballs or it could have got damaged from fighting with tank mates?

His eye looks pretty bad, i personally would take out and treat. I left my emperor alone and it got progressively worse and he did not make it.

So 50/50 chance you have in my opinion....

Good luck!

Angelfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
From my own experience that looks like secondary bac infection like everyone mentioned. The flatworms you mentioned are also know as flukes. Which loves eyeballs or it could have got damaged from fighting with tank mates?

His eye looks pretty bad, i personally would take out and treat. I left my emperor alone and it got progressively worse and he did not make it.

So 50/50 chance you have in my opinion....

Good luck!

Would you recommend freshwater dip or copper? Or something else?

Angelfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I came home to find this, these 3 pics are of my yellowbar, emperor and blue ring angels, the yellowbar has a new white dot along its side, the Annularis looks worse imo (you guys can compare it to this morning) and now the emperor shows some signs of white under its mouth. I'm now thinking this is ich unfortunately. Considering copper. Would a freshwater bath first be more ideal? I don't get how they can have ich while the powder blue in the tank with them looks fine and is more susceptible to it. Will copper hurt any of the following? Yellow tangs, powder blue, sailfin tang, the 3 angels I mentioned earlier or a French or queen angel? Would you guys agree this looks like ich?

Attachments

• IMG-20170619-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20170619-WA0008.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG-20170619-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20170619-WA0009.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG-20170619-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20170619-WA0005.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 49

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Doesn't look like ich at all, ich is usually lost of tiny salt like specs on body.

Maybe to late for emp, blue ring needs antibiotics. Cupramine would not hurt any of the fish you have. I would freshwater dip to see if it is flukes. But if it is your tank is contaminated.

How long you have all these angels? I had to treat my emp, Asfur and yellow bar for two months because of ich and flukes.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Doesn't look like ich. Would guess flukes. Prozipro can be used in the tank, and will get all the flukes, unlike a fw dip will only get what's on the fish, then they will get them again if the tank is not treated in some way. Although few dip will offer immediate relief. Prozipro will take almost two weeks for a thorough 2 consecutive round treatment.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Also, Lowering the salinity suddenly, to around 1.015 will help reduces stress for the fish, and won't make the flukes happy, but is no way a cure. After treatment, raise the salinity back up slowly. No more than 2 points per day.
This is not a good idea if you want to keep any inverts or coral

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: