Manhattan Reefs
 

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR


Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2007, 12:48 AM
LE Coral Killer
ming's Avatar
Moderator: This member is a Moderator. - Issue reason:  
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Flushing, NY
Posts: 4,623
Reefer Ratings: (143 (100%)
Friends: (65)
Send a Private Message My Facebook
I would say what dgthrasher did, worked on his tank of softies, but there are a number of things I would do differently because I dont think it would work on most setups. Although I would also say it wasn't the most glamorous setup either, but could be because the algae growing all over the front glass I was staring at.

I think refugiums which are setup properly allows the tank to be more forgiving in husbandry, but there are a good number of refugiums which are not set up to be efficient, or the reefer may think there is no limit to the forgivness, which are both bad.

That being said, nobody's perfect and everybody has their own ways of reefing, and do whatever works for you. I know I'm guilty to some point of not doing the things I say, but I only allow it to go so far before I make amends.
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 01:10 AM
chicks dig beckett men
loismustdie's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 1,658
Reefer Ratings: (25 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
2400 people on this site. Giving Eric and Lissa the benefit of the doubt (I've seen pics of Lissa's tank and going off of Eric's pic which is fairly new) and letting Ming use the term "Refugium With Coral"... 4 people managed to post nice tanks with fuges.
I disagree with Fred 1,000,000%. However... I can't take my eyes off of your avitar. I don't get the stirring in my pants that I get from Lazyreerfers avitar, yet I still can't take my eyes off it.
The guy who said I don't know anything about fuges doesn't have any pics on MR.
If I found dgthrashers tank on my living room floor, I would hit my dog on the nose with a newspaper. I stand by the fact that poor husbandry is to blame for this. Not the fuge, but the fuge obviously didn't help as much as he thinks it did (see Fritz post, and my arguement against fuges from day 1)
Until we reassess refugiums, we will continue with parroted misinformation. These things along with culerpa and cheato are being sold like crazy to new reefers. So we will deal with the same questions and problems over and over again in the noob forum. And as long as people claim success without producing proof, for some reason, people will believe them.
Keep all the LPS, zoas and shrooms you want. If your glass is all green, sand is all brown and you have a drab looking tank, you will not be happy and your tank is NOT THRIVING.
Moral of the story:
The room and energy can be put to better use.
unless someone else can post some pics...
__________________
chris
95 gallon terrapin tank.
My reef crashed... again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loismustdie View Post
If I found a tank like that on my living room floor, I would hit my dog on the nose with a newspaper.
*no dogs were harmed in the making of my signature

Last edited by loismustdie; 04-08-2007 at 02:43 AM..
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 01:36 AM
ReefsMagazine!
jhale's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: G.V NYC
Posts: 15,399
Reefer Ratings: (43 (100%)
Friends: (38)
Send a Private Message
I'm out of town with no new tank shots to post, and I have not taken a pic of the fuge area of my sump for a long time. it's packed with cheato so there's not much to see. I'll see what I can find photowise. The fts in my "my tank" page might be the last fts I have. that was maybe a month ago.
And Ming that's a great softie tank you have, but it's no fuge
you need more algae than open space for it to be a fuge in my book.
come to think of it I don't want to call my fuge a fuge after the definition Fred posted. I'm going to call my "fuge" area an organic filtration treatment plant ( O.F.T.P ), or a sewage treatment center as Chris might call it
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 01:42 AM
chicks dig beckett men
loismustdie's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 1,658
Reefer Ratings: (25 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
stop bumping it Jon. Dead, I tell you... DEAD!
__________________
chris
95 gallon terrapin tank.
My reef crashed... again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loismustdie View Post
If I found a tank like that on my living room floor, I would hit my dog on the nose with a newspaper.
*no dogs were harmed in the making of my signature
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 01:52 AM
ReefsMagazine!
jhale's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: G.V NYC
Posts: 15,399
Reefer Ratings: (43 (100%)
Friends: (38)
Send a Private Message
here's the last fts I found, I took it on 3/25/07.
I don't think it proves much, as I've stated before I don't know how much my "fuge" area is really doing. It's about 20 gallons out of 150 total.
I do think it's helping keep the nitrates down, but I'm not going to pull it out to test that theory

Click image for larger version

Name:	fts2.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	21184
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 01:56 AM
ReefsMagazine!
jhale's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: G.V NYC
Posts: 15,399
Reefer Ratings: (43 (100%)
Friends: (38)
Send a Private Message
one more note, I have not ever weighed my cheato, but I bet it's quite a bit, there's a mass of it from wall to wall, top to bottom.
if anyone needs some let me know. pods included.

Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 02:02 AM
chicks dig beckett men
loismustdie's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 1,658
Reefer Ratings: (25 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhale View Post
yup... still 4 tanks. dead. it's over Jon. It's dead. remove the fuge, tie in the BM and we'll see you in 3 months.
__________________
chris
95 gallon terrapin tank.
My reef crashed... again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loismustdie View Post
If I found a tank like that on my living room floor, I would hit my dog on the nose with a newspaper.
*no dogs were harmed in the making of my signature
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 02:18 AM
ReefsMagazine!
jhale's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: G.V NYC
Posts: 15,399
Reefer Ratings: (43 (100%)
Friends: (38)
Send a Private Message
We're still waiting on the 250's to ship (new skimmer for those that don't know)
The tank might be moving in 3 months (with me) I'll remove the fuge and give the cheato away then. I might even go back to BB (turn up the vortechs, with controller?)

I think fuges do help if set up properly, but like mentioned, they are not a crutch for sloppy maintenance. one day I'd like to have a remote dsb tank with cheato equal to or greater than the main tank.
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 02:22 AM
chicks dig beckett men
loismustdie's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 1,658
Reefer Ratings: (25 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by loismustdie View Post
2400 people on this site. Giving Eric and Lissa the benefit of the doubt (I've seen pics of Lissa's tank and going off of Eric's pic which is fairly new) and letting Ming use the term "Refugium With Coral"... 4 people managed to post nice tanks with fuges.
I disagree with Fred 1,000,000%. However... I can't take my eyes off of your avitar. I don't get the stirring in my pants that I get from Lazyreerfers avitar, yet I still can't take my eyes off it.
The guy who said I don't know anything about fuges doesn't have any pics on MR.
If I found dgthrashers tank on my living room floor, I would hit my dog on the nose with a newspaper. I stand by the fact that poor husbandry is to blame for this. Not the fuge, but the fuge obviously didn't help as much as he thinks it did (see Fritz post)
Until we reassess refugiums, we will continue with parroted misinformation. These things along with culerpa and cheato are being sold like crazy to new reefers. So we will deal with the same questions and problems over and over again in the noob forum. And as long as people claim success without producing proof, for some reason, people will believe them.
Keep all the LPS, zoas and shrooms you want. If your glass is all green, sand is all brown and you have a drab looking tank, you will not be happy and your tank is NOT THRIVING.
Moral of the story:
The room and energy can be put to better use.
unless someone else can post some pics...
Honest man. Nice clams too.
__________________
chris
95 gallon terrapin tank.
My reef crashed... again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loismustdie View Post
If I found a tank like that on my living room floor, I would hit my dog on the nose with a newspaper.
*no dogs were harmed in the making of my signature

Last edited by loismustdie; 04-08-2007 at 02:49 AM..
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 02:56 AM
120 Club Member
Craig's Avatar
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Norwalk, CT
Posts: 1,243
Reefer Ratings: (16 (100%)
Friends: (4)
Send a Private Message
one of the best MR member tanks had a large refugium

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2006/11/aquarium
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes