Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2007, 10:59 AM
Tim
Tim`s Aquatics
Reefer Ratings: (19 (100%)
Friends: (5)
Send a Private Message
The sump portion is to the right of the fuge with the skimmer in it.Here`s some pics:
Attached Thumbnails

Old 04-06-2007, 11:01 AM
Tim
Tim`s Aquatics
Send a Private Message
One more sorry:
Attached Thumbnails

Old 04-06-2007, 11:48 AM
Reefer Ratings: (15 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Very nice Tim. I've always used a refugium for a place for pod productions and nitrate removal. Perhaps it does very little in either department to make a difference but I'm not sure since its always been a part of the system. I doesn't seem to hurt anything so why get rid of it?
Old 04-06-2007, 11:58 AM
Tim
Tim`s Aquatics
Send a Private Message
I agree. If it ain`t broke, don`t try and fix it. As you can see and you can ask anyone who has seen my tank in person my corals are thriving and the colors are great....
Old 04-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Lissa
Reefer Ratings: (18 (100%)
Friends: (15)
Send a Private Message
When I manage to find the cord for my camera, I'll post pictures of my set up.

My 75g Tank (ran 9/08 - 10/09)
40br Upgrade (ran 12/07 - 9/08)
29g Tank Log (ran 11/06 - 12/07)

The best advice I can give to any new reefer: FWE every frag you get.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:16 PM
chicks dig beckett men
Reefer Ratings: (25 (100%)
Send a Private Message
beautiful tank tim. What size is it? What size is the fuge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by loismustdie View Post
If I found a tank like that on my living room floor, I would hit my dog on the nose with a newspaper.
*no dogs were harmed in the making of my signature
Old 04-06-2007, 01:37 PM
Tim
Tim`s Aquatics
Send a Private Message
Thanks. It`s a 110gal. The fuge is probably about 30 gallons.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:42 PM
chicks dig beckett men
Send a Private Message
Roughly 1/3rd. Even though your fuge is tall.
Awesome tank. Love the goni's. Looks like we've got 2 killer mixed reefs on the site.

Quote:
If I found a tank like that on my living room floor, I would hit my dog on the nose with a newspaper.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:09 PM
chicks dig beckett men
Send a Private Message
I'm probably the most outspoken member on the site against fuges and I must say, even I'm surprised by the fact that only 1 person has shown a nice tank. I though we would be up to at least 5, closer to 10 people by now. Are you guys busy cleaning your algae before you take the shot?
Out of the people who say they have "noticed" NO3 and PO4 reduction... what does noticed mean? Did you test? I find that many inexperienced people parrot the statement that fuges reduce NO3/PO4, yet they don't even test. Many feel that "since I have a fuge, my PO4 and NO3 must be low".
Go in the noob forum. You can find tons of threads regarding algae, nutrient, coral, etc. issues and many of them seem to have fuges. Go in the advanced forum and you will find most who post there don't have fuges.
Tony, you did so much to your tank, a new tank at that, you really can't comment on what your fuge did, if anything at all, positive or negative. I will say that after what we discussed last night about your PO4 which is now lower after removal of your fuge... it seems like a positive step to me. I know you think it was something else. I disagree.
I'm not taking anything away from Tim either. I'd say he's known around here for knowing his stuff, but do you really think your tank is thriving because of the fuge? I'd give more credit to the other equipment I see. Pod population? Looking at your tank, we can't even see most of your rock. No way in hell fish fit in there. That leaves hundreds, if not thousands of square inches of surface area for pods to reproduce all they want. With all that, do you really think it is a 30 gallon fuge to thank for a high pod population. I don't even have a fuge, but I pull pods out of my filter socks by the dozen. At the same time, I agree with you, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I don't see anything that needs to be fixed on your tank.
Honestly, anyone who has an overflow on their tanks reasonably has an area of refuge. I also don't feel refugiums are all bad. I just don't understand why people scramble to make room in already tight quarters, expend energy and maintenance time on something that shows to have little positive impact on our tanks. And hearing newbies parroting misinformation about them and not backing it up is getting old.
We've beaten up Deltec, BK, MRC and countless other things on this site, including each other. I guess it's time the fuge had its day.

Quote:
Old 04-06-2007, 03:25 PM
chicks dig beckett men
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgthrasher View Post
I have used a refugium for my reef tank for a couple of years now. I noticed a huge nitrate reduction and PO4 reduction. I run the lights 24hrs a day. Basically I have the reguium set up as a refugium sump for my 75gallon tank. I split a 30gallon with a piece of 3/4" plexiglass and seald it with aquarium sealant. I then on the refugium side put about 5" of sand, and some plants. I take out the plants once they get overgrown and through them out.
The other side I use as a sump, to have room for evaporation. Basically I have my main tank flow into the refugium, which then flows over the plexi into the sump where it returns to the tank.

I have found I only need to do water changes a couple of times a year, other then that just adding suplements and topping off with water
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Chris/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-7.jpg[/IMG]
This appears to be dgthrashers FTS I found in the FS/FT forum.

Quote: