Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2007, 11:19 PM
Lissa
Reefer Ratings: (18 (100%)
Friends: (15)
Send a Private Message
Refugiums

Who uses refugiums? For what purpose(s) (pods, nitrate export, place to keep naughty fish, second tank)? How have you set them up? Do you think it's been a benefit or detriment to your system? I've noticed a lot of discussion of fuges in other threads and thought it might be worthwhile to have a thread about them in and of itself.

I only recently added a fuge to my system, mainly for pod productions. It consists of a wide, shallow container with about an inch of sand, a ton of microbrittle stars, and a whole lot of cheato. I'm not sure what kind of flow I have through it, but it's not super fast (but apparently fast enough to produce some coraline growth near the return). It's hard to say whether or not it's been "beneficial" to my system, as I am skimming very aggressively and do 10% waters changes 1-2x per week. It's worked very well for pod production - I can see them in there swarming around when I put a flashlight up against the container when it's dark. I run the fuge on an alternate light cycle, and prune my cheato when other people want some.

My 75g Tank (ran 9/08 - 10/09)
40br Upgrade (ran 12/07 - 9/08)
29g Tank Log (ran 11/06 - 12/07)

The best advice I can give to any new reefer: FWE every frag you get.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:26 PM
REEF ON!
Moderator: This member is a Moderator. - Issue reason:  
Reefer Ratings: (33 (100%)
Friends: (58)
Send a Private Message
hey lisa i used 2, then i got yelled at for having one so i got rid of it and dont notice any difference either way though i did have pods in mine though... well at least i have a spot in my sump to watch new fish before i put them into the display tank...

if set up right which will def. be discussed here, there are many advantages to having a refugium

1. nitrate reduction
2. PO4 reduction
3. Area for pods to
4. have alternating lighting refugium/display and help with ph swing

im sure slamma and kathy will have some interesting things to say on this topic

200DD Upgrade

RIP Frank (FRY). You will be missed.

Last edited by Tonyscoots84; 04-05-2007 at 11:31 PM..
Old 04-05-2007, 11:43 PM
Reefer Ratings: (0 (0%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
I have used a refugium for my reef tank for a couple of years now. I noticed a huge nitrate reduction and PO4 reduction. I run the lights 24hrs a day. Basically I have the reguium set up as a refugium sump for my 75gallon tank. I split a 30gallon with a piece of 3/4" plexiglass and seald it with aquarium sealant. I then on the refugium side put about 5" of sand, and some plants. I take out the plants once they get overgrown and through them out.
The other side I use as a sump, to have room for evaporation. Basically I have my main tank flow into the refugium, which then flows over the plexi into the sump where it returns to the tank.

I have found I only need to do water changes a couple of times a year, other then that just adding suplements and topping off with water
Old 04-06-2007, 12:11 AM
Lissa
Reefer Ratings: (18 (100%)
Friends: (15)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgthrasher View Post
I have found I only need to do water changes a couple of times a year, other then that just adding suplements and topping off with water
If you only change your water twice per year, you must be dosing a lot of different supplements!

My 75g Tank (ran 9/08 - 10/09)
40br Upgrade (ran 12/07 - 9/08)
29g Tank Log (ran 11/06 - 12/07)

The best advice I can give to any new reefer: FWE every frag you get.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:20 AM
LE Coral Killer
Moderator: This member is a Moderator. - Issue reason:  
Reefer Ratings: (143 (100%)
Friends: (65)
Send a Private Message My Facebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgthrasher View Post
I have used a refugium for my reef tank for a couple of years now. I noticed a huge nitrate reduction and PO4 reduction. I run the lights 24hrs a day. Basically I have the reguium set up as a refugium sump for my 75gallon tank. I split a 30gallon with a piece of 3/4" plexiglass and seald it with aquarium sealant. I then on the refugium side put about 5" of sand, and some plants. I take out the plants once they get overgrown and through them out.
The other side I use as a sump, to have room for evaporation. Basically I have my main tank flow into the refugium, which then flows over the plexi into the sump where it returns to the tank.

Got a pic of your tank? display and fuge please

I keep my fuge for my jaw fishes and nutrient reduction.

Last edited by ming; 04-06-2007 at 12:22 AM..
Old 04-06-2007, 12:24 AM
chicks dig beckett men
Reefer Ratings: (25 (100%)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by ming View Post
Got a pic of your tank? display and fuge please
I want to stay away from this thread, but I was about to say the same thing. Once again, believe everything we hear, but nothing that we see. This thread is useless without pics of main display and fuges. If you have excuses for why you can't take pics, don't post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loismustdie View Post
If I found a tank like that on my living room floor, I would hit my dog on the nose with a newspaper.
*no dogs were harmed in the making of my signature
Old 04-06-2007, 12:57 AM
Reefer Ratings: (11 (100%)
Friends: (4)
Send a Private Message
Hey Chris... check this one out
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/totm/index.php
fuge is 3x bigger than the tank
Old 04-06-2007, 01:05 AM
Vendor: WingoLED
Reefer Ratings: (119 (99%)
Friends: (56)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellebelle View Post
Who uses refugiums? I Do For what purpose(s) (pods Yes, nitrate export Yes, place to keep naughty fish Crabs, second tank Thinking of)? How have you set them up? Do you think it's been a benefit or detriment to your system? I find both depends on which setup
However, I do find a risk(just like any equipment-it will fail no matter what) of having one. Couple weeks before the three day "no electricity and no heat" event I reported earlier, one of my tank's refugium started to melt and caused the DT to have cyano which I have not seen for at least a year. Some parameters jumped. Some anthelia and xenia along the direct path of the return flow from it withered while others in other area of the tank still grow OK. So far, I cannot find out a solid reason why that particular tank's refugium melted and why corals along the path of flow has problems. All macros in that refugium disintegrated-caulerpa, green grape and red grape-I don't have cheato's in that refugium.

A Presentation of Tank Bred Designer Clownfish and other Live Stock

WingoLED.com..... Email WingoAgency@yahoo.com ........... SMS/Text: 347 878 3092
Old 04-06-2007, 08:32 AM
Tim
Tim`s Aquatics
Reefer Ratings: (19 (100%)
Friends: (5)
Send a Private Message
Here is some shots of my fuge.It has been up and running for about two years. It is fed from the sump part of the tank through a phosban reactor and drains back into the sump. Tons of pods and stars, no phos. and very low nitrates.....
Attached Thumbnails

Old 04-06-2007, 10:17 AM
chicks dig beckett men
Reefer Ratings: (25 (100%)
Send a Private Message
display pics too Tim. Please. Where's the sump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by loismustdie View Post
If I found a tank like that on my living room floor, I would hit my dog on the nose with a newspaper.
*no dogs were harmed in the making of my signature