Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2007, 12:58 AM
Tim
Tim`s Aquatics
Reefer Ratings: (19 (100%)
Friends: (5)
Send a Private Message
Nate I just tested my fuge w/ hanna and got a reading of 1.24 then tested the water in the main display and got .34 .I am going to do some further testing just to make sure the first reading was corect. Fuge is dsb w/ tons of sawblade macro, I will keep updated with new results.....
Old 12-13-2007, 01:10 AM
Vendor: WingoLED
Reefer Ratings: (119 (99%)
Friends: (56)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Nate I just tested my fuge w/ hanna and got a reading of 1.24 then tested the water in the main display and got .34 .I am going to do some further testing just to make sure the first reading was corect. Fuge is dsb w/ tons of sawblade macro, I will keep updated with new results.....
That's an incredible difference. I think you should re check both numbers not just one. How can the system dissipate the PO4 from 1.24 to .34 in matters of couple feet of waters(not special reactors, sand bed, rocks, solution ....)?

A Presentation of Tank Bred Designer Clownfish and other Live Stock

WingoLED.com..... Email WingoAgency@yahoo.com ........... SMS/Text: 347 878 3092
Old 12-13-2007, 02:01 AM
Lissa
Reefer Ratings: (18 (100%)
Friends: (15)
Send a Private Message
Wing, I took out the fuge when I swtiched from a 1yr old 29g tank to my 40br. I've only had the BR up for 1.5 months now, so I think it's too soon to make any sort of definite conclusion. But anecdotally, I've seen evidence of fewer nutrients despite a greater water burden on my equipment.

My 75g Tank (ran 9/08 - 10/09)
40br Upgrade (ran 12/07 - 9/08)
29g Tank Log (ran 11/06 - 12/07)

The best advice I can give to any new reefer: FWE every frag you get.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:00 PM
Rice Planter
Reefer Ratings: (90 (99%)
Friends: (7)
Send a Private Message
i like my fuge, unfortunately I believe mine is pLaced wrong since it comes beFore my skimmer. its the only space i have so it had to be that way.

to be honest, i dont know what benefiTs it has to my tank, but i'm sure the extra water voLume isnt hurting my tank any
Old 12-15-2007, 05:02 PM
Reefer Ratings: (15 (100%)
Friends: (12)
Send a Private Message
if you place it before your skimmer it may become a good trap for detrius.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:10 PM
Rice Planter
Reefer Ratings: (90 (99%)
Friends: (7)
Send a Private Message
probabLy is, but cant heLp it... it's the onLy physical space I got. I have a fiLter sock on the drain so that kinda heLps cut down on crap
Old 12-15-2007, 05:18 PM
Greek god
Reefer Ratings: (11 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Wow. that's crazy. I should have tested my rDSB/fuge before i took it offline against my main display. I just tested my main display this morning and got .03. I'll test my sump with the small chaeto ball tonight and see if there is a difference.

EDIT: Sump tested .04.

Nate

Last edited by gnatp2; 12-15-2007 at 05:49 PM..
Old 12-15-2007, 06:11 PM
Tim
Tim`s Aquatics
Reefer Ratings: (19 (100%)
Friends: (5)
Send a Private Message
Just tested again and the fuge reading was .27 and the main display is .30.....
Old 12-18-2007, 12:48 AM
Re-reefer
Reefer Ratings: (36 (100%)
Friends: (1)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerdrgn View Post
if you place it before your skimmer it may become a good trap for detrius.
AHA!

My fuge comes before my skimmer. Chaeto was trapping mucho detritus because it was floating. Algae problems-a-plenty.

Trimmed the chaeto ball down to the size of a softball & anchored it to the bottom on some LR. No more detritus trap, plus skimmer is now pulling out a half cup of dark skimmate every couple of days vs previously pulling that out in a week.

Never thought to test display & fuge seperately, thanks guys!
Old 12-24-2007, 05:04 PM
Re-reefer
Reefer Ratings: (36 (100%)
Friends: (1)
Send a Private Message
I think I got to the bottom of my algae problem. I added a piece of rock I took out of my tank over a year ago back in. As rubble to the fuge & a couple of larger pieces to the main display. This rock was in my tank when I was using tap water so I think it was leaching PO4 & other things into the tank.

I can tell because those particular pieces were covered in algae. I have removed them & will see what happens.