jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
marrone said:
Don't worry once everything cycle back around people will start having Sand bed again. Like with everything it just take time before it changes again.

There is a much greater understanding of the biology of sandbeds and BB tanks now than in the past. I believe the information that we have now will allow people to keep one or the other and know exactly what they need to do so each system can be run at it's best.

I doubt I will ever have a tank with sand in it again. But who knows what kind of filtration may be invented in the future? Maybe something will come along like a mini water treatment plant that lets you keep your water parameters perfect no matter what's in your tank :D

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
What will happen is some one will come out with new research on why SB works better or some one or a group of people will have great results on their tanks with SB and people will start to switch back. That what happen before and no matter that they have a greater understanding of why something works it will change and some one will come up with an even greater understanding of why some thing else works. It's just the cycle of the hobby.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
okay, we'll see what happens in ten years, that seems to be the cycle time.

if I have a tank with sand I'll be shocked. :)

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
It really just comes down to the type of corals you would like to have. SPS and a BB system seem to go well together. But if you want to have xenia and certain soft corals then a sandbed is probably better.

Nothing is written in stone and all husbandry methods can be adapted to house any coral. But some methods are just better for certain corals than others.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
spykes said:
kris you kinda went sand, then BB then back to sand, now BB? what are you doing in your reef?

<------confused child...:lol:....hmmm I'm just getting tired of the sand kicking up onto the rocks and having to go in an turn off al flow and blow it back off the rocks :banghead:....plus I'm SPS dominant and my zoas could happily take over the starboard.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
hey Kris, if you only have .5" of sand it's not a big deal to just remove it with the next water change. Just DO NOT pour it down the drain with the water, otherwise you will be paying Ronen to come visit you ;)

having just a glass bottom is okay, just be careful not to drop any rocks :D

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
jhale said:
hey Kris, if you only have .5" of sand it's not a big deal to just remove it with the next water change. Just DO NOT pour it down the drain with the water, otherwise you will be paying Ronen to come visit you ;)

having just a glass bottom is okay, just be careful not to drop any rocks :D

John I like the idea. Saves me some money and can be done over a short period of time. Guess my 10g will just be getting some more sand. This is starting today cause I'm too tired of cleaning off the rocks and the zoas on the sand, not to mention a clam getting overpowered by sand.

Hmmmm wonder how I could take out the majority today with a small water change??? All flow off and one of those really "fine" nets that wont let sand through??? I got it but will it work??? And when I'm down the the last bit of it, I'll just siphon then???

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
you could try to scoop it out, but it's going to get messy in the tank.

the best way is to siphon it out, no dust clouds to deal with.

why not do a little bit with each water change?

one bucket worth and you can get quite a bit of sand siphoned out.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
Alright I'm over the edge here. The sand thingies even driving my mom crazy and she barely looks at the tank :irked:....would this http://www.cuttingboardcompany.com/cuttingboards.asp?id=1
stuff do the trick? Would only cost me $34 + shipping to get it to me. And it would be the perfect sizes.

I would be cooking the rocks while everything resides in the tank without rock, just on some egg crate with the corals attached.

I'd also be draining the tank completely and siliconing the Board to the tank so I dont have to worry about "crap" getting stuck underneath. I'm gonna be doing this over thanksgiving break.

I'm gonna build eggcrate "lifters" ala John's tank and be getting rid of some rock to keep it really open. Gonna put the corals that can go in the 10g in the 10g for the time being.

Also I'm gonna be holding the tank water in the tank I get from ink and Rubbermaids til the silicone dries.

Not sure how long to cook the rocks for...its tedious.

First I want to know if I've got enough flow cause thats critical for a BB tank and if my skimmers big enough to handle the job. ASM G3 with recirc mod and a Seio 1500, a Mag 7 return, a ~350gph powerhead, and the modded maxijet 1200 and if need be a DIY Tunze (MJ1200).

Hows the game plan sound?? Should take me two days to get the tank filled up with water again and I do have a lot of extra New Saltwater on hand just in case, for what the rock displaces.

Thanks,
Kris

Last edited:

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
nanoreefer22 said:
First I want to know if I've got enough flow cause thats critical for a BB tank and if my skimmers big enough to handle the job. ASM G3 with recirc mod and a Seio 1500, a Mag 7 return, a ~350gph powerhead, and the modded maxijet 1200 and if need be a DIY Tunze (MJ1200).

Kris, if the flow you have now, allows the sand to settle in the tank, I wouldn't imagine it's enough to prevent detritus from settling also. I'm sure Shaun, Jon or Rich have a "minimum" turnover rate for a BB.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
sounds like a good plan kris.

if you want to cook the rock it's going to take at least a month.
but like Shuans tank, you could put the rock back in the tank and let it cook over a period of time. it's not that bad if you keep up with siphoning the junk out.

your skimmer should be fine, and it sounds like you have enough flow. that's something you can always increase later.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: