ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
DRZL said:
BTW anyone thinkng thats sand, it isnt, these rocks havent seen sand in a year and a half!
Your tank is different than mine right now. What's coming out of my rock is sand. In 1.5 years it may be a completely different story.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
yep, that's what I suck out of my sump most months.

I don't use a filter sock, except when I'm blowing my rocks off.

Now times that by 72 the average number of months a sand bed will last before the tanks goes to sh!t, CAN YOU NOW SEE WHAT IS WRONG WITH A SAND BED?

Okay so you clean your sand once in a while, there is no way your going to get all that gunk out.

Once again I'll say I love the way sand looks at the bottom of a tank, when it's new.
Not when it's old and fugly. Given time there is so much you can grow over the BB to make it look stunning, it should not matter any more.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I was giving them six years, which is gracious, you have to be on top of your game to keep one past that.

I wonder what will happen to a BB tank in six years? :P

One other plus, if you move your BB tank you just pick up the bottom and your good to go. :)

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
<----------Wishes he was barebottom :(.

The damn sand is getting on my nerves now. I can't stop it from kicking up, when flow is perfect the sands all over the place. And of course when flow sucks the sands still. What to do what to do?!!? And its only like .5 inches in most spots :banghead::irked:

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
ctxmonitor said:
I think we finally got ourself another BB's boy.. Damn, it was harder than I though..

LOL..haha...

Kris... so when you changing..;)

I dunno ;).

Lets see when I can get me some starboard :cool:. You guys see what the SPS is doing to me :banghead:.

Only thing is I like the way my rocks are a lot. Think I could get back the exact aquascaping???

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
marrone said:
Kris it's been a couple of weeks anyway time to change the tank over. :icon16:

exactly what i was thinking,

Kris you might as well wait till the next upgrade, the sand will be fine at least for a few more months ;)

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I just put high density polyethelene HDE sheeting in the bottom of my new 36. I bought it on the bowery for $16.00. just couldnt afford the name brand marinaboard and more importantly i couldnt wait a week for them to deliver it. I needed it NOW!
I was thinking about putting a thin layer of sand (1/4") in the very front of the tank and just siphoning it up and washing it once a month. I used to do this with a tank in sydney and it wasnt too much trouble. I'm just not ready to give up sand yet but if i can get stuff to grow on it them maybe i can slowly phase it out.

Hitsnorth

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
So lets just say I go BB.. I can always add sand later if I dont like it. The problem is I have a engineering goby who obviously wouldnt be happy with that. Would have to find him a new home and the way things are looking nobody is going to have sand soon!!!!

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Hitsnorth said:
So lets just say I go BB.. I can always add sand later if I dont like it. The problem is I have a engineering goby who obviously wouldnt be happy with that. Would have to find him a new home and the way things are looking nobody is going to have sand soon!!!!

I've seen BB tanks on RC and people put containers of sand in for fish that need it. usually they hide the tubs of sand behind a rock. these are larger tanks, but it could work in a smaller tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: