Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
so Paul, which would be the safer of the two?
Redish or orange? Or same thing?

In Queens the stuff grows on floating wooden docks just below the surface. The docks in City Island is loaded with the stuff. It is a light brown color and looks like the mushrooms you see on dead trees. It grows about an inch high and can easily be torn off the dock by hand. The red tree looking sponge, the fish do not like to eat but most fish eat the brown stuff. (I have a picture somewhere but I can't put it on here now)
It is better frozen and small pieces can be cut off with a sharp knife. I fed it for years and I think it helped my moorish Idol live for five years. Even my copperband ate it (but he was not crazy about it.)

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Be careful with the sponges. They host a ton of parasites and little critters. Both sponges are fine for food but make sure you freeze them first as Paul mentioned. I've seen one small piece have about 10 gorilla/rock crabs crawl out of the middle :eek:

You know I am down Paul :) I already went out once with Justin.

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
We collect mostly amphipods, shrimp, snails and seaweeds, no fish. There are no tropical fish in the western Sound to speak of.

There is an article with pictures of our collecting trip from last year if anyone knows how to link it.

You don't need dive gear. I have it also but the water is shallow.

Maybe some day we will organize a dive trip but thats for another time.
I have been diving the Sound since the seventees and know all the good spots

Ask and you shall receive!

Last edited:

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I've seen one small piece have about 10 gorilla/rock crabs crawl out of the middle :eek:

This is true, but the fish love those crabs frozen. You can also put the sponge in fresh water for an hour to kill paracites, if you are worried about that but the fish like the sponge frozen better anyway.
Dom, I'm going to need a larger boat.

Most of those people will cancel out when I tell them we are going during the week

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
im in, just tell me time, location, and estimated time of arrival...
what should i bring?

I will post here the time and destination, it will not be for a couple more weeks.
The boat will go in the water tomorrow,(I think)
You will have to bring a pail, a net and some water shoes or sneakers. You can't walk there barefoot. It is all broken clam shells and bottles encrusted in barnacles.
Sunscreen, sunglasses. You can bring a camera but we have to jump in the water which is about 5 to 6' deep and walk to shore. My boat is not a landing craft. :eek:
You may also need to bring $12.00. That is because we split the gas, I pay the other $4,000.00 for the dock. :tongue1:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Did you say 5 - 6 feet deep? I would love to go for specimens and curiousity. I also have a digital cam with underwater housing. Crewed on blue water boats for years.

there is not much visibility where Paul goes collecting, I don't think it's more than a few feet, however I never stuck my head under water to check :tongue1:

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
SIReefer, I just came back from the boat to clean it and get her ready. She sounds great and all seems to be working. I brought a boatload of tools down to the marina as I always do because something is always broken, but luckilly I diden't need them except for installing a new powersteering pump. But that only takes 5 minutes.
I did however drop my boat pole in the water so I had to get a new one for $40.00.
If I had my bathing suit on, I could have jumped in the water to get it.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Well the boat is running fine so collecting season starts this week. Today the marina was loaded with grass shrimp and the guy next to me brought in 3 stripped bass all over 40 lbs. The shrimp topped off at about a quarter gram
(however much that is)
My fish will be eating good soon.
That water is cold though.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
paul i can always do mondays since work cut me to 4 days and weekends if i know enough in advance { week } lmk rick, also does the train run that far down ? im in peekskill

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Peekskill! Wow thats far to go a couple of hundred yards in a boat to go collecting, you would have to leave the morning before.
There is a Long Island Rail Road stop in Port Washington where the boat is but it doesen't go anwwhere near Peekskill. I don't know how you would get there.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: