Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Update: Back from vacation and phosphate levels have gone up to 0.17.. This probably means that 1 cap will be my maintenance dosage once I'm at the level I want to be at.. Jumping back up to 1.5 capfuls today.. To get the ball rolling again on the phosphate drop schedule..

Last edited:

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Update::: My tank crashed... Well not really one of my many failsafes kept it from crashing.. I had just loaded up my socting oxydator with the 6% solution of hydrogen peroxide 7 days ago it usually takes about 3 months for it to go empty.. It was empty today so I guess the overload of vodka dropped the O2 levels and my O2 reactor fought hard to keep the O2 levels up.. If I hadn't noticed it was trying to float as it does when it's empty.. The levels might have actually got the chance to get as low as it wanted to.. I'll be continuing with the 6.2 mls/2 capfuls or higher as the weeks go on until I get the levels where I want them to be..
On another note phosphate levels only dropped 1 point from 0.17 yesterday to 0.16 today.. corals and fish appear fine..
I guess it finally paid off having this reactor..

noodleman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Update::: My tank crashed... Well not really one of my many failsafes kept it from crashing.. I had just loaded up my socting oxydator with the 6% solution of hydrogen peroxide 7 days ago it usually takes about 3 months for it to go empty.. It was empty today so I guess the overload of vodka dropped the O2 levels and my O2 reactor fought hard to keep the O2 levels up.. If I hadn't noticed it was trying to float as it does when it's empty.. The levels might have actually got the chance to get as low as it wanted to.. I'll be continuing with the 6.2 mls/2 capfuls or higher as the weeks go on until I get the levels where I want them to be..
On another note phosphate levels only dropped 1 point from 0.17 yesterday to 0.16 today.. corals and fish appear fine..
I guess it finally paid off having this reactor..

bob, that's not possible. you said in your oxydator thread that it uses a metal catalyst for the reaction, so the amount of oxygen being generated is directly proportional to the surface area of catalyst block, not the demand of oxygen in the tank

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Not true.. I was told it keeps the o2 level at a certain level.. It used up a about a quart of solution in less than 3 days.. Without a leak in the reactor.. How would you explain that?? I'm no expert on the reactor, but it's been a couple days now and it still has the same amount of liquid in it..

noodleman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
well i would assume a quart of 6% solution wouldn't affect your pH too much in a tank you size. I don't know where your peroxide went, but the way a catalyst works is that it keeps the reaction at a steady state that is proportional to the surface area. If the entire surface of that catalyst block is already working to produce oxygen at that maximum velocity, it wont produce anymore than that rate even if demand asked for it. It is exactly the same way enzymes work in our bodies. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalyst

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
bob, that's not possible. you said in your oxydator thread that it uses a metal catalyst for the reaction, so the amount of oxygen being generated is directly proportional to the surface area of catalyst block, not the demand of oxygen in the tank

Not true.. I was told it keeps the o2 level at a certain level.. It used up a about a quart of solution in less than 3 days.. Without a leak in the reactor.. How would you explain that?? I'm no expert on the reactor, but it's been a couple days now and it still has the same amount of liquid in it..

If I remember these reactor correctly there is nothing in it that monitor the Oxygen level in the tank, and then dispenses it when necessary. Think about it, if it did then what level would you set it at? How would it know when to dispense?

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
If I remember these reactor correctly there is nothing in it that monitor the Oxygen level in the tank, and then dispenses it when necessary. Think about it, if it did then what level would you set it at? How would it know when to dispense?

I was told the catalyst sets the level and if I were to add to many pellets I would put to much 02 in the tank and get the ozone crash..

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
well i would assume a quart of 6% solution wouldn't affect your pH too much in a tank you size. I don't know where your peroxide went, but the way a catalyst works is that it keeps the reaction at a steady state that is proportional to the surface area. If the entire surface of that catalyst block is already working to produce oxygen at that maximum velocity, it wont produce anymore than that rate even if demand asked for it. It is exactly the same way enzymes work in our bodies. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalyst

Okay thanks for the info..

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Bob,

Can you confirm that your denitrator was also removing phosphates. I had checked with one manufacturer and he told me that the denitrator certainly works on nitrates but not phosphates.

PS. Question, do you have a deep sand bed. I had tried vodka dosing and had bad results using the deep sand bed. I had finally found out, that my deep sand bed went bad. I had to remove 1 inch of sand from the whole tank including under my rocks. Then, my phosphates went back to normal 0. However, it took 6 months to figure out my phosphates problem.

Good luck on finding a solution. However, based on thread, it seems that your original denitrator was working well, so mabe you may go back to that.

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Bob,

Can you confirm that your denitrator was also removing phosphates. I had checked with one manufacturer and he told me that the denitrator certainly works on nitrates but not phosphates.Yep I ran it long enough with very low phosphates.. As far as the manufacturer,, Not Natureef it's probably the only denitrifier with a phosphate option and it does a great job..

PS. Question, do you have a deep sand bed. I had tried vodka dosing and had bad results using the deep sand bed. I had finally found out, that my deep sand bed went bad. I had to remove 1 inch of sand from the whole tank including under my rocks. Then, my phosphates went back to normal 0. However, it took 6 months to figure out my phosphates problem.Bare bottom for some time now, I know the problems with sand..

Good luck on finding a solution.Thanks, I'm well on my way with the phates coming down fast.. I'm comparing my denitrifier to vodka dosing everyday since I have started dosing..

However, based on thread, it seems that your original denitrator was working well, so maybe you may go back to that.
I'm still comparing..
Easily 10+,,, not a newbie,,lol..

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Bob,

On comparing your denitrator/phosphate remover with vodka dosing. I am guessing that the denitrator seems better to not screw up. What I mean is that I have heard of people needing to dose daily and something goes wrong with dosing. Switching brands, missing doses and over dosing. Do you think that your denitrator is more dependable because it keeps the media inside the container.

Just trying to get more info. Do you have a link on your denitrator. Interesting that yours also works on phosphates.

Thank you,

- Larry

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: