Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm with the folks that invested in good books and research. Can't tell you how much I gained from The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner and even Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies. I may not have started in or even quit the hobby, if not for these readings. Invest in knowledge and hopefully you won't have to invest in too much money and heartache as I did when I started. Not saying the web isn't a good tool, :type: just saying its very mixed and you don't know what you're getting out there. Take the advice of true and proven professionals.
As for my worst investment, I would say it was a 10 gallon tank that I thought would house marine life in successfully longterm. I made up for it later by going bigger (inevitable :D) and making it my Quarantine tank for all newcomers.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Refractometer Calibration fluid - $3

With it I determined that 3 hydrometers were wrong and my refractometer was almost .003 off! This is a huge number, especially if you are one of those people who run it +-.002. That means you could be up to .005 off! Imagine thining you are at 1.022 ("I like to run it light because it is good for the fish"), and in reality you are at 1.019. That might explain all of those coral problems you are having.

DHaut

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Refractometer Calibration fluid - $3

With it I determined that 3 hydrometers were wrong and my refractometer was almost .003 off! This is a huge number, especially if you are one of those people who run it +-.002. That means you could be up to .005 off! Imagine thining you are at 1.022 ("I like to run it light because it is good for the fish"), and in reality you are at 1.019. That might explain all of those coral problems you are having.

Also this. And TDS meter calibration fluid (why do I have an algae bloom when I have 0 TDS water? Oh wait...).

chasekwe

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(have a lot of equipment I love but these are the most significant day-to-day)
Very Best: Tunze Osmolator, BRS RO/DI

Worst: My Bubble King Mini 180 G2, feel like I could have done just as well for half the price. Premium salt mixes, Reef Crystals has always done right by me, never noticed enough benefit from another mix to justify the costs, sometimes almost 100% more.

Fun thread.

I think my 3 160w Black Pythons have definitely been my best investment so far although I have not gotten the electric bill for this month yet I don't know ho wwell they've been towards that aspect but lighting wise, they're awesome at just 75%. I also have a bio-pellet reactor but it has about 4 more weeks to fully colonize so I'm not sure about that yet. But for now the LEDs are number 1

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: