twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking @ Lighting

Dealing with heat issues and bulb changes are the reason(s) I am not looking at t5 lighting or metal halide.
I want to delve into LEDS. Since I will be cycling my tank starting in 2 weeks I still have over a month before I needthe lights but I want to sort out my choices now. My Issues are as follow:

Radion
I want these due to full spectrum. Have not purchased because I do not believe one unit will cover 36x18x18. Requiring two units has a large price tag of $1500
AI Sol
I really was set on using 2 Nano Sol Blue's but still get hung up because it is only 3 colors. They fit by budget and I can have them in 3 days if I need them. Full spectrum is the killer here at the moment. Can I overcome it?
AI Vega
According to an email exchange I had with AI these will still only have white, blue, royal blue and they will not be available now till Mid 2012 and not March.
DIY
Would need to find a "kit" that has full spectrum and will properly cover 36x18x18 and be controllable / dimable.

dherrera83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
i dont think the AI nanos will be enoughto cover a 50g. You might need the bigger AI lights.

I think you should do a DIY by using T5s and LEDS... Just my thought.

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont think the AI nanos will be enoughto cover a 50g. You might need the bigger AI lights.

I think you should do a DIY by using T5s and LEDS... Just my thought.

I had a typo above. I meant the AI sol's and not the AI nano's.

I am also looking at Kessil lights, what has the experience been with those?

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot find the a 50g breeder or similar like I have 36x18x18 with a single radion mounted.
I did find
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=289626

that is over a 75gallon tank.

*While he will have serious corner darkness it gives me hope that with 12 less inches of width I may be able to get away with 1 Radion.......................if you find a 3 foot tank with 1 Radion please let me know! *I am ok with having any SPS within the middle 2 feet of the tank and 6 inches on each side placing zoa's and other corals where there is less light. *I am also OK with mounting the single rarion 10 inches AWL to achieve this.

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got offered a set of 2 AI Sol blue's that are 4 months old with controller and rails for $600. What to do !?
I just gotta wait till Wednesday and look at both again side by side with controllers in hand at the LFS.

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking @ Apex Lite

Took delivery late today. Was only able to unbox the items. Quick question. There was no power brick to power the unit where all the probes and ethernet cables tie in. Was my shipment missing this item? See last picture:

All components
HNFcG.jpg

Display Unit
ya5dC.jpg

Standard Grade PH probe
jVUUm.jpg

Control Unit missing ac adapter that plugs into far left hole?
kI8Qw.jpg

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw the AI Sol Blue and the Radion's side by side today on a 100g.
Do I like the Radions more? Yes.
Do I Iike them $300+ more per fixture? No.

Being able to see the AI's in person and get hands on with the controller I was able to dial in settings that were pleasing to my eye along with shimmer..............that had healthy % distribution........and did not look like the tank was full of windex.

Rating - 100%
141   0   0
saw the ai sol blue and the radion's side by side today on a 100g.
Do i like the radions more? Yes.
Do i iike them $300+ more per fixture? No.

Being able to see the ai's in person and get hands on with the controller i was able to dial in settings that were pleasing to my eye along with shimmer..............that had healthy % distribution........and did not look like the tank was full of windex.
lol.. Guess you dont like too much blue..lol i love the ai sol.. Im going to use them on my new tank as well.

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya know how the LED's are hard to capture in pictures and I was worried about being "too blue". I put that to rest now and I am moving forward.

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking @ Mounting 2 AI Sol Blue's

Two options here that I am considering. I will have 2 units so each would need to cover an 18x18 square.
How I envision my rock work I would mount them length wise. With that there are 2 options.

Adjusting the stock mounting rains to make the 2 units hang separately like this. Thanks for the inspiration Flexin
6867539417_745cf0e5b9_z.jpg

Having a Manhattan Reef Member make me a custom bracket that I will then secure through the heatsink. This item will be painted to match the wall. Cords will run through the wall and be hidden not down the wall hidden by the molding. Thanks for the inspiration Kenconnect & saltwaterinbrooklyn
a8SYi.jpg

8FHo9.jpg

Utlhg.jpg

Thoughts?

Rating - 100%
141   0   0
Any time.. Thats what this place is all about helping each other out. Hope it works out for u .. Will be doing a lil different way it will be mounted on the new tank.

looking @ mounting 2 ai sol blue's

two options here that i am considering. I will have 2 units so each would need to cover an 18x18 square.
how i envision my rock work i would mount them length wise. With that there are 2 options.

adjusting the stock mounting rains to make the 2 units hang separately like this. Thanks for the inspiration flexin
6867539417_745cf0e5b9_z.jpg

having a manhattan reef member make me a custom bracket that i will then secure through the heatsink. This item will be painted to match the wall. Cords will run through the wall and be hidden not down the wall hidden by the molding. Thanks for the inspiration kenconnect & saltwaterinbrooklyn

thoughts?

Last edited:

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am choosing option number 2 for mounting and making a deal on a pair of lightly used Sol Blue's with controller, they should be with me in a week. Thanks guys! Ken are you getting rid of those brackets or re-using them in the new build? ANxious to see your new mounting solution.

In the meantime I picked up some cabinet LED motion lights to help me out in the stand.

T6tfol.jpg

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking @ Unanswered Questions

What to do with aquascaping.
Try to pile them together best as I can to get the tank cycling when it arrives or use Marco e400 mortar?
I like the idea of using the mortar for more daring aqua scapes but I am shying away from it at the moment. I am cycling my rock in the tank with no livestock and I am not sure which pieces I want to use in my scape so I am going to cycle it all. If I purchase mortar I will be forcing myself into a scape before the rock has cycled and I cherry pick those pieces I want for the display. Maybe just throw them all in the display to cycle, then when the cycle is over use the e400 mortar on select pieces staying in the display then the rest to the sump. Thoughts?

How will I cycle?
Since this is my 1st tank with dry rock I am a little confused. Use one of the myriad of bacteria and "speed up" cycle products on the market? Let the dry rock mini cycle on its own over 4 weeks then seed with a piece of live rock from an established tank risking aiptasia or bubble algae or other pests? Using a cocktail shrimp and letting it fully dissolve?

Lighting and Skimming during the Cycle?
Should I be doing either or leaving skimmer and lights off till the tank has cycled?

Should I use Sch40 or Sch 80 Plumbing?
My stocking list calls for sch80 mainly because of the sleek grey color. Now that I see it is not available locally, and multiple BRS orders to get it right would be pricey and slow going I am leaning back on sch40. I can get it locally & according to other reefers a system like mine sch80 is overkill (as it is for most hobbyist reefers). Not to mention that the overflow in tank and drain below will be pretty tight.
This will be all sorted when the tank/stand/sump arrives.

Stocking List of Corals?
I have not thought it out completely. I love rics so there will for sure be a ric island. After that I am not sure. It will also be my 1st try at SPS.

Stocking List of Fish?
Starry Blenny
Flame Angelfish
Four Line Wrasse
Pink Skunk Clownfish (pair)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: