duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
JAMES i think the problem with setting a LED on an established tank is the shock factor. i think and its only a thought is if you decide to go LED it best to do it from the start of a tank. while introducing corals you can place them accordingly starting low and working its way up.unless there is a controller you can set the intensity over time to adjust the corrals but then again a colony may have got used to the t-5 or MH and just dont adjust to the intensity even lowered LED has.JMO because it seems the guys that had no luck had established tanks

jerl77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
If I was going to do LEDs I would start the tank with them from the start I think its the only way to do it and I would run LEDs for the growth and and t5 for the color

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I noticed he mentioned shimmer lines, they are a function of surface agitation. Like he said you will never replace the aspect of the sun but If you eliminate excessive surface agitation you will lose the disco look and still have plenty of flow for oxygenation as long as you have an overflow.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
So someone should define more basic game rules in addition to the rules duke has suggested.

To be fair, I think each of the contestants should try

a)3 different types of frags, 1 grown with LED for over 6 months, 1 from T5 over 6 months, 1 from T5 over 6 months
b)take a before pic from the original donor
c)take a before pic in their own tank
d)a grow out period of 6 months
e)a guide line for the members to vote for, such as color, grow out rate, ...
f)let's get the game started and pics flowing please.

FaviaFreak

Aquarium Village
Rating - 93.6%
44   3   0
So someone should define more basic game rules in addition to the rules duke has suggested.

To be fair, I think each of the contestants should try

a)3 different types of frags, 1 grown with LED for over 6 months, 1 from T5 over 6 months, 1 from T5 over 6 months
b)take a before pic from the original donor
c)take a before pic in their own tank
d)a grow out period of 6 months
e)a guide line for the members to vote for, such as color, grow out rate, ...
f)let's get the game started and pics flowing please.
God this is gonna be fun!!!!!

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I think the participants should list the entire chemistry of the tank once as week too as part of the rules because that will be a big factor in the growth too. Or set target levels for everyone and try to maintain them as much as possible throughout the 6 month period.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
I think the participants should list the entire chemistry of the tank once as week too as part of the rules because that will be a big factor in the growth too. Or set target levels for everyone and try to maintain them as much as possible throughout the 6 month period.

But then it will be too technical. I feel that this game is more like a Boys Night Out at the bar playing who's stronger in arm wrestling.:givebeer:

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
True. There are many factors that would have to be figured out before it starts because something I think would make a big difference is if one is using zeovit or something alike and the other is not. Results should be close either way I'm just saying to make it more fair the setups would have to be very close in all parameters and dosing methods.
if we keep SPS we should be close to each other anyways.alk and nitrates will be the only thing that may differ slightly

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Well maybe everyone can do like 2 separate things. One would be an actual experiment with very closely related tanks and just have different lights over each and then an actual game/contest that everyone can play where you do whatever you want with your tank and everyone gets the same size frag and at the end of 6 months whosever has the best color or size could be judged by previously picked members and then wind some sort of prize. I think that would be pretty fun but for an actual experiment for the t-5 vs LED I just think that it would only be fair if both tanks were very close to the same.
But then it will be too technical. I feel that this game is more like a Boys Night Out at the bar playing who's stronger in arm wrestling.:givebeer:

FaviaFreak

Aquarium Village
Rating - 93.6%
44   3   0
we will start a poll to vote on the pics at the end of the experiment

250px-Mad_scientist.svg.png

jerl77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
True. There are many factors that would have to be figured out before it starts because something I think would make a big difference is if one is using zeovit or something alike and the other is not. Results should be close either way I'm just saying to make it more fair the setups would have to be very close in all parameters and dosing methods.

We all don't run zeovit or pellets etc etc etc etc we are just have some fun you are looking into it much like wingo said boys night out and I have the biggest --- rotflmfao

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: