• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

wrudge

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Have been without power since Monday afternoon. First few days I kept the tank going with a battery operated air pump and boiling RO water to keep the temperature up. Then the air pump batteries decided to die in the middle of the night. I spent an hour with an old plastic big gulp cup dropping sump water in the tank to aerate it, while my wife hunted down some more D batteries. I lost a blue hippo tang, yellow tang and bangai cardinalfish. Don't have much in the way of corals to lose. Finally able to get a generator on Wednesday when my brother got his power back and have been running it since. For those having problems getting gas, I've been using this site: http://www.hessexpress.com/fuelinformation. It updates about every 2 hours and let's you know of any Hess stations by you that got a big delivery. If you are near the Farmingville area, the Hess right off of the LIE (exit 63 - head North) usually gets a delivery a day. This morning they had 12000 gallons and as of 2pm had a little under 5000 left. They have a gas can only line as well (using 4 of their pumps). I was able to fill my cans last night after about an hour wait. Today I waited about 45 minutes to fill them again. Hopefully this gas shortage lets up and it will be easier for everyone to keep their generators going. Also if anyone needs to borrow my battery operated air pump let me know.

bigyankfan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
226   0   0
Lost my clam, 2 blood shrimp, lots of softies and 2 fish, including one of my favorites - a venustus angel that it took me forever to replace. Planning on staying. BTW, the battery backup for the MP10 worked like a charm - my problem was temperature < 62? F.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
75-100% loss. Not sure yet. All fish are dead. Corals look BAD... Power is still out. Tank is 65 degrees or colder.

After 5+ years, I'm probably done. ...either that or a drastic change and easy fish only. We'll see :(

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Wow, my condolences to everyone that lost so much. I see so many users that are staples on mr. I hope you guys don't give up on the hobby.

P.s. I find it extremely insensitive to those that post they never lost power and have a 0% loss.

baam you should read the 1st post cause he asked also for fortunate reefers to post if they had 0% loss. :thanks:

as for me as stated only 2 corals and a apex controller so im incentive for stating that. im not trying to start a fight but trying to justify for the reefers that tryed there hardest as i did prepared and battled it out and was asked by the creator of this thread to post if 0% was lost. thats all...

my heart goes out to all who have lost and are still battling to keep there reefs alive. i posted a thread on general discussion if anyone near howell nj needs help keeping there corals alive i have room for that but not for fish. my prayers are with you all. God bless, be safe and PRAY!

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
3 days no power had a battery operated air pump and covered the tank with towels and blankets temp hit the low 60s before power was restored. Didn't lose any fish although they where extremely stressed but looks like I'm losing some sps frags. I consider myself extremely lucky as some people have no homes nevermind a fish tank.

JRLBRENNAN

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What's up lenn hope all is well I still have no power and losing fish and coral by the day doing everything I can with batt air pump and boiling water but long cold nights from sandy making it impossible

LavaToad

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% loss, most fish died on the first night as the water temp drop to 60. Corals lasted a few days but it started to smell like a sewer so I had to throw in the towel. Going to take a break but will be back with a bigger tank.

aoebombcat

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We lost power at 7 pm on monday night. and As of Sunday 7:15am, we are still do not have power. Right now, we lost part of 3 Millies melting on the branches. But the base still look ok. Will mostly stay in the hobby. No fish lose yet.

Last edited:

jbjints

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I lost a chromis and a fire fish and possibly a frog spawn and my leather looks bad but we'll see. My problem was temperature. I boiled water and oxygenated the tank (I even had my wife boil water and oxygenate the tank while I was at work but it wasn't enough) but keeping the tank at close to ideal temperature was impossible.

My clown fish made a comeback and survived. When I got my power back Friday afternoon he was in a corner at the bottom of the tank and when I went to scoop him out he started moving so I told my wife and kids that we need to see what happens. When the tank reached about 65 degrees I went over to the tank and I just stared at the clown fish praying he would survive. A few minutes later he swam, went towards the top of the tank where his female counterpart nipped at him which she normally does only when it is feeding time but it just seemed like it was a happy to see you nip. I started screaming for my wife and kids to come and see the clown that miraculously made it and I got emotional because the week was grueling and for my clown to pull through it meant a lot to me. I bought the clowns for myself for my birthday on February 10, 2012 so they were my first fish and for the male to make a come back meant that boiling the tank water and oxygenating the tank wasn't a complete waste of time.

I was going to leave but I am going to stay and I am going to talk E.intheC in to staying in the hobby too. I am going to invest in a generator and I am going to buy inverters dedicated for the tank only. I would love to buy a whole house generator but I think they are out of my price range but we'll see.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: