pwreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Still no power here - major trouble with overhead wires and transformer, but looks like all things are okay for now. First 24 hours kind neighbor let me plug into his house with NG generator. Then he pulled me. Too much load he said. We were boiling water and I had battery airstone. Also MP40 with its own battery. Then drove to Woodbury to meet my cousin's husband with gas and lucked out at the local walmart with a 400W inverter. Kept my car running all night to keep the tank going. Finally got my own generator on Fri morning. Been refueling every 6 hours, but so far so good. Gonna be prepared next time for sure.

Dee12dee12

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
0% loss. Drove to Virginia to pick up a generator day after hurricane. They had some returns since they weren't hit by Sandy. Almost lost a blonde Naso but he started eating yesterday and swimming around like nothing ever happened.

kkaz642

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
ImageUploadedByReefs1352108479.897160.jpg
Rip fish tank 11-4-12

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
75-100% loss. Not sure yet. All fish are dead. Corals look BAD... Power is still out. Tank is 65 degrees or colder.

After 5+ years, I'm probably done. ...either that or a drastic change and easy fish only. We'll see :(

Update... Still no power since Monday. It got cold last night, and I can't imagine things are too happy. The corals just keep retracting deeper and deeper into their skeletons.

I'm looking at a complete loss of the following:

-Yellow watchman goby. 2 clowns. One was an SA snowflake and the other an ORA extreme misbar black clown.
-14 head green and purple tipped torch.
-4-5 head orange hammer (my favorite piece of coral)
-super bright green plate
-3 heads of green Duncan
-2 heads frogspawn

Not dead yet but looking BAD:

-beautiful bright orange dendro. 3 large heads. Bought at the swap from cherry corals.
-tons of zoas and acans
-war coral

I've decided to stay in the hobby....All in all, it sucks but I'm happy I still have my family and our house.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Temps dropped into low 60s with noone home since it was getting too cold. Newborn was getting sick. I had to go. I hope there are strong survivors as power was just restored last night after a week of a power outage.

I'm guessing if not 100% loss then damn near close. I just got back in a few weeks ago and dropped 250~ on fish and corals. All gone. Freaking great!

All zoas, 1 mini maxi, 2 true percs, 1 sexy shrimp. Damn big losses and feeling bad as this will drive more for devastation to the sea as we look to restock as a hobby.

Joker4132

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Power was out for 60 Hours... 0% Loss... Ran tank on combo Battery Powered Airpump and K1 on a UPC... Heated water as needed on stovetop...Staying in Hobby..but was considering a break for awhile

BuGG

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
I lost my tank, but was lucky enough to transfer most of my corals and fish to my in-law's tank. Their tank just finished cycling and they were going to start buying corals. So now their tank are at full capacity and ours is just stagnant dead saltwater.

We still don't have power so I can't even start cleaning my tank yet. I was planning on going to the ny frag swap but I'm sure my tank wont be done cycling by then. Im considering leaving the hobby. My wife and i just started earlier this year after we inherited a tank from my wife's uncle who passed away. sigh....

Rating - 100%
92   0   0
0%, luckily only lost power for a day...i was there when power went out and kicked on the generator immediately....if anyone is in the throgs neck area I have power and can try and set up a qt to hold some livestock

Sent from my PC36100 using Reefs

greengny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
97   0   0
Lost 90% coral, 50% LR, but saved rest of LR and fish by bringing into office and setting up a temp 20 gal. Water's a bit cloudy but hopefully they'll make it from here. Will be back but not without the big G and lots of gas.

DEL

reef guy in jc
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Haven't been on in a long time, and now not sure if I'm gonna stay in the hobby. Lost EVERYTHING in my 110. All sps, Lps, zoos, mushrooms, and ..... All fish... Which included my 9 year old clown, blotchy anthias my gf got me, and my chevron tang, just to name a few. Stil no power nor heat or hot water in my apt. Not sure when I'll start up again with reef... Or..always been thinking about a seahorse tank. :(

BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
This thread is heartbreaking to read :(.
I am still without power. I reported 0% loss the other day. I am still doing well, but I havent seen My Mandarin since Saturday. My generator stopped producing power saturday night and my tank dropped to 68 over night. Luckily my neighbor offered to run a line from his generator so I can continue to fight. There are times when I dont see my Mandarin for a few days at a time. Hopefully this is one of them. I heard a rumor today that it is possible that we may not see power for 1-2 more weeks. I really hope that's not the case. It has been a very hard and stressful week trying to keep things going. The thought of this going on much longer is overwhelming :( .

dannanovick

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I lost my tank. It was a waterfall of issues after no power for 6 days. Main issue was I was out of town in SF during the storm. Baby sitter was stuck in BK, only person who tried to help knew nothing about reef tanks. A few softies are alive and 1 chromis. Everything pretty much died in this sps tank and my gfs nano.

I have to clean this tomorrow morning and I'm not looking forward to the mess. Ugh.

Bad timing really sucks

ImageUploadedByReefs1352178435.102153.jpg

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
This thread is heartbreaking to read :(.
I am still without power. I reported 0% loss the other day. I am still doing well, but I havent seen My Mandarin since Saturday. My generator stopped producing power saturday night and my tank dropped to 68 over night. Luckily my neighbor offered to run a line from his generator so I can continue to fight. There are times when I dont see my Mandarin for a few days at a time. Hopefully this is one of them. I heard a rumor today that it is possible that we may not see power for 1-2 more weeks. I really hope that's not the case. It has been a very hard and stressful week trying to keep things going. The thought of this going on much longer is overwhelming :( .

Don't quit Bobny. I wish you luck man. If you interested in buying a generator let me know. You've lasted this long.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: