NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
wont comment on other stores, but maxreef has 8 80g coral tanks and around a 100 tanks for fish and about 15 tanks for inverts, and tanks pretty much always stay packed. personally i havent been to another fishstore beside maxreef in over a year, found no reason to go anywhere else. yes i work there on sundays and know what is done to the fish before being brought up.

someone commented on never going back there because of a pest on a coral. what reefer doesnt dip their corals first anyways. i can point out two of the most expensive fish stores around that i have seen redbugs and flatworms on there corals.

and on the pricing thing. cant say how much stuff other stores bring in weekly but just like any other business the more you buy the cheaper your cost becomes.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
It depends on what I am looking for. Usually stores don't have what I am looking for because they all carry yellow tangs, angels, clowns and the more common fish. I don't want common so I usualy tell them to get me something specific. Aquarium Village just got me a pair of bluestripe pipefish. If I went looking in stores, It could take me a year to get a pair. But Aquarium Village does not sell live blackworms so I go to my friend who owns Pet Barn in Franklin Square. I also get my dry goods like salt there. If I want something very unusual I will go to Fish Town in Flushing. I know the place has a bad reputation. I helped start their salt tanks in the early 70s. I don't really know anyone there as the place is not the original owner and I don't need advice so I am not interested in that and their coral selection is for hunger. But they import their own fish so I always find something that I have not seen before that no one else gets or even can order. My Mother n Law is in the Nursing Home on the next blook so while my wife is visiting her, I go in Fish Town. The only other good thing (to me) in Fish Town for me is sometimes they get in a bunch of fish such as copperbands that they sell for $5.00 or $10.00 because they are covered in ich. I love to buy fish like that because I can cure ich in a day and you get a $40.00 fish for practically nothing. I recently got one of those copperbands. They also sell large portions of blackworms but I would not buy dry goods there.
I have probably visited every store on Long Island as I have been doing this when they all started in business and if I find a new store, I like to go there to check it out. I don't need much livestock but I do need worms every week.

Last edited:

Koyfam16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
It depends on what I am looking for. Usually stores don't have what I am looking for because they all carry yellow tangs, angels, clowns and the more common fish. I don't want common so I usualy tell them to get me something specific. Aquarium Village just got me a pair of bluestripe pipefish. If I went looking in stores, It could take me a year to get a pair. But Aquarium Village does not sell live blackworms so I go to my friend who owns Pet Barn in Franklin Square. I also get my dry goods like salt there. If I want something very unusual I will go to Fish Town in Flushing. I know the place has a bad reputation. I helped start their salt tanks in the early 70s. I don't really know anyone there as the place is not the original owner and I don't need advice so I am not interested in that and their coral selection is for hunger. But they import their own fish so I always find something that I have not seen before that no one else gets or even can order. My Mother n Law is in the Nursing Home on the next blook so while my wife is visiting her, I go in Fish Town. The only other good thing (to me) in Fish Town for me is sometimes they get in a bunch of fish such as copperbands that they sell for $5.00 or $10.00 because they are covered in ich. I love to buy fish like that because I can cure ich in a day and you get a $40.00 fish for practically nothing. I recently got one of those copperbands. They also sell large portions of blackworms but I would not buy dry goods there.
I have probably visited every store on Long Island as I have been doing this when they all started in business and if I find a new store, I like to go there to check it out. I don't need much livestock but I do need worms every week.

Nice. It doesn't take much to stock my 5 gallon but I'm sure if I'm in the hobby as long as you have been, I will have found my key places to go.

Right now I'm looking to get a small clean up crew. 3 snails and 3 hermits. Lol. Find it hard to go to a LFS for something like this but having a store close by helps alleviate the cost of something.

I find that I am reaching out to fellow reefers more than I am going to LFS.

I say to each his own. If you have a store you like and you have a good relationship with them then that's great.

Last edited:

ssminnow81

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 95.7%
67   3   0
I understand everyone loves the prices at max reef but am I the only one that's had a bad experience their? I went there the past two black Fridays (didn't learn the first time). The first year I bought a huge yellow plate coral which I realized after was dyed, and 4 fish. All fish got ich and died withing a week or two. The plate I traded to another member and he told me it died a month later. The second time I went I bought 4 fish and again within a week they all had ich and a couple weeks later them and three other fish I'm my tank died.

I thought it might be only me but I went with a friend and he actually lost the 5 fish he bought and 18 other fish some that he's had for almost
Ten years.

So please let me
Know if any one else had a bad experience or am I going
Crazy

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
ssminnow81 said:
So please let me
Know if any one else had a bad experience or am I going
Crazy

That's the reason that a QT is needed! The fish that Max and many other LFSs get, are direct from the collectors, just a few days out of the ocean!
They are picked up at JFK in the morning, unpacked and inspected that day, and for sale the next day. Fish with 'obvious' problems are usually kept in a 'QT' while being watched.
I have been buying from Maximum since they first opened in Mt Vernon, and have experienced very few problems, certainly no more than with any other stores... But I do try to QT/dip/check all newcomers!

ssminnow81

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 95.7%
67   3   0
100% right. I should but I don't have a quarantine tank. Also the other problem is both times I went on those black Friday sales where it's pretty much from the ocean to my tank.
Maybe it would Be a different experience if I went on a ordinary day.

Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
100% right. I should but I don't have a quarantine tank. Also the other problem is both times I went on those black Friday sales where it's pretty much from the ocean to my tank.
Maybe it would Be a different experience if I went on a ordinary day.
\

here is our fishies we got right from the box the day they were opened and acclimated into ralphs system. then brought home with us same day. Weird people have these problems, never had a fish die from ICH, Nor do we get it. We dont have a QT so i guess its risky business. gotta invest in one, but there livestock overall is pretty good. never no problems besides 1 time as stated before.

here is a short vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XlObw6jKOk

ssminnow81

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 95.7%
67   3   0
Rob&Gab said:
Weird people have these problems, never had a fish die from ICH, Nor do we get it.

I don't normally have problems with ich, so it cant be a coincidence that it happened both times I've went there.(and with the person I went there with)

Last edited by a moderator:
Rating - 100%
346   0   0
I find Anthias a tough fish to acclimate. I have brought around 12 and have one to show. If they make it a week it seems like they kill each other. As far as ick all fish have ick it comes out when their stressed so if you got them right out of the box they were in a little bag for 24 hours the size of a babies fist I would say u got a good shot to get ick

Reeftaker2013

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to carib blue off sunrise hwy this evening and they have huge selection on corals with reasonable price good selection both sps and lps , i bought a gold tip hammer big healthy culture colony and has open up really nice in my tank...so i might stop by more often there :)

Koyfam16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Went to carib blue off sunrise hwy this evening and they have huge selection on corals with reasonable price good selection both sps and lps , i bought a gold tip hammer big healthy culture colony and has open up really nice in my tank...so i might stop by more often there :)

I made the trip out there yesterday evening as well. If only MR members walked around with a name tag with their screen name, lol.

About a 30 min ride from where I live in Nassau.

I have to say I was really impressed. Not only with the livestock but the staff. Everyone was super friendly and knew what they were doing. The tanks were clean, everything was organized and prices seemed fair.

Will def go back again.

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
I have to say as a first time Maxreef customer I was impressed with there customer service as they held the last remaining very healthy chevron tang for me without even giving them a dollar!I don't know of any store that would do that for someone they don't know.once I got there I was impressed with the amount of fish they have(not one dead fish anywhere)and to top it off I found my fish with writing on the tank"SOLD".the tanks with inverts where stocked,they had a nice selection of Sps,lps and zoa's.just wish they had more frags or a separate tank with frags.and there prices on fish?there is no competition with any other store.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: