Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Was at pet warehouse today and what a great experience it was like always. Corals are unbelievable truly for collectors of rare corals. Picked up few pcs and a copper bandit which was eating as I was acclimating him, now that's what you call healthy fish. Kevin and Pete truly are great guys. For me petwarehouse is in a class by itself

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I am pretty sure that Max Reef does trans shipping and brings his stuff in directly. He is bypassing the wholesaler. I used to do transshipping once upon a time (talking more than 15 years ago?) and it is a lot of work and you take a lot of risks. All it takes is one bad shipment where flights are delayed or cancelled or customs decides they want to have a closer look and you can lose a LOT of money. Usually your supplier in the origin country will eat the loss of the animals but more than half of the expense is shipping and box charges.

How can anybody in business sell a sunburst for $35 when that fish wholsales for $33 is beyond me. Selling it for $60 as AV were selling them is still cheap but I guess if you move them they wont die in your tanks and take a loss. Guys remember cheap is always expensive at the end.

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Took a ride to pets wharehouse to see Kevin today well worth the trip he's willing to frag things so u can get a nice coral without spending a fortune they had an amazing blue box fish and few other cool fish!!

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I am pretty sure that Max Reef does trans shipping and brings his stuff in directly. He is bypassing the wholesaler. I used to do transshipping once upon a time (talking more than 15 years ago?) and it is a lot of work and you take a lot of risks. All it takes is one bad shipment where flights are delayed or cancelled or customs decides they want to have a closer look and you can lose a LOT of money. Usually your supplier in the origin country will eat the loss of the animals but more than half of the expense is shipping and box charges.

That is exactly what they r doing which is why max reefs sell stuff so cheap. Only one problem to the consumer and that is you are getting stressed out fish and all kind of other stuff with it. When you buy from a whole sale place as a pet store you pay more but you get Better quality stuff especially when u have a relationship, obiuosly pet store have to charge more cause they r paying more but at the end the consumer is going to get a better fish coral clam etc. yes I'm not saying that all the stuff on trans shipping is bad but if you are the unlucky guy you might save money for a sick fish etc. I cannot say anything bad against max reef cause I have never been there but I can say that pet warehouse sell only quality stuff and for quality u have to pay more and I rather go there paying more and go home with a PC of mind then save few bucks. You can't buy a BMW for the price of a Toyota. This is only my opinion

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Not true. Wholesalers move fish as quickly as possible. It is actually adding additional stress because fish travel from the South Pacific to LA, get rebagged and forwarded to the wholesaler. From there the fish gets acclimated to what is usually less than ideal artificial salt water and within a couple of days is sold to a petshop (usually within hours because shops go when new shipments come in). There are additional factors added to the mix which stress the animals out long term.

I wish that Max would run medication and UV/ozone in their fish system. It would really cut down on the spread of pathogens between fish. But overall their fish are healthy, we just need to QT them at home. Unfortunately I live in an apartment and cant setup a QT tank...

KurtL

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is exactly what they r doing which is why max reefs sell stuff so cheap. Only one problem to the consumer and that is you are getting stressed out fish and all kind of other stuff with it. When you buy from a whole sale place as a pet store you pay more but you get Better quality stuff especially when u have a relationship, obiuosly pet store have to charge more cause they r paying more but at the end the consumer is going to get a better fish coral clam etc. yes I'm not saying that all the stuff on trans shipping is bad but if you are the unlucky guy you might save money for a sick fish etc. I cannot say anything bad against max reef cause I have never been there but I can say that pet warehouse sell only quality stuff and for quality u have to pay more and I rather go there paying more and go home with a PC of mind then save few bucks. You can't buy a BMW for the price of a Toyota. This is only my opinion
Not true at all transshiped stuff comes directly from the country of origin. Cuts out the middle man.

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I wanted to clarify... Some wholesalers buy from major importers like ERI or Sea Dwelling Creatures in LA. ERI often "tanks" fish for a day or two before forwarding them on to the wholesaler. There may be something to be said about giving them a break before forwarding them on another leg of a trip which can add 8-12 hours.

Last edited:

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
I already see where this is going!people complain about no prices on tanks,bad customer service,unresposivd emails. Etc..etc...and the end of the day I'm only going to a pet store to buy what I want or need...I don't expect a red carpet ...if I wanted info or advice id search the internet or ask questions here..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: