Status
Not open for further replies.
Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Who has never been exposed to apple products?... I cant spit without hitting a mac advertisment. Lets not forget the apple sotres & Mac section at BestBuy. I am a PC for life. I find that most people are drawn to them because apple has put countless efforts into marketing themselves as trendy tech devices that match seamlessly with your decor! As for the way pictures look, (as someone mentioned earlier) Eizo makes great monitors with far better control over color adjustment/calibration. But to each his own I guess.

Oh and Im pretty sure apple has been around for a while as well...

Agree. Apple is kinda like Bose with audiophiles- everyone thinks it's great because they have outlet stores everywhere while someone who knows something about audio systems will tell you they're at the bottom when it comes to sound quality.

James404

MH for Life!
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Agree. Apple is kinda like Bose with audiophiles- everyone thinks it's great because they have outlet stores everywhere while someone who knows something about audio systems will tell you they're at the bottom when it comes to sound quality.

I agree about Bose but Apple computers are far from inferior products. OSX is really running a Unix kernel which makes it rock solid.

Jkedra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
lets not forget about those bose : ) also very nice products.

but still I think that the people who say this stuff about apple never experienced a mac for themselves. I hated macs for years until I actually tried it out for myself. You gotta try it out before you make statements, instaed of just passing by an advertisement or the apple section in best buy.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
I tried them I work on them sometimes and I do like them. What I don't like is that Apple is trying to be trendy first, technical later but that's not their fault, people buy that cool factor without even checking specs. So I'm not a hater but I'm not a fanatical follower either.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
I think you are missing the point of why people use PCs.

The reason why people like PCs is because they use them all day long at work. Macs do NOT run enterprise software. I am a Mac person but quite frankly there are a TON of apps I cannot run natively on OSX. Yes I can run Fusion or Bootcamp but that isn't the point. Here are your BIG apps that most enterprises are using in some way:

Office (Mac Office is NOT the same thing)
Outlook (again, Outlook or Entourage are NOT equivalent)
Autocad (Mac just got this last year, hello?)
Solidworks (???? wtf)
Enterprise management apps (vcenter, Oracle OEM, Remedy, Tivoli, full Sharepoint compatibility, the list goes on and on)
Financial apps (you can't name one trading app that is Mac native)
Custom built apps (99% compiled for x86 Windows with either MS C++ or MS VB)
Gaming (don't hold your breath)

Is a Mac good for graphic design? Sure. Browsing? Sure. Audio, you bet. The other 95% of the software market? Not a chance.

Most people want to be comfortable in the same OS at home as they use at work. That's the reason. It has nothing to do with people not knowing about or not trying a Mac. If you CAN use it, you will.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
lets not forget about those bose : ) also very nice products.

Bose makes some of the worst audio equipment you can legally purchase in the USA.

Just saying that small speaker systems are the equivalent of highly tuned and engineered systems does not make it true. Bose is completely off when it comes to reference audio techniques. Try sitting outside of the 2 seats on the sofa in their demo centers. Does anyone really believe that you can get surround quality sound from a desktop kitchen-style stereo because it has a funky shaped wavebox?

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
My sister has a mac and an ipad because she owns her own graphic design and marketing company. My brother does IT for NASA and has a mac, ipad, and iphone (all basically toys for him, he'll even tell you so). My brother also has a big PC he built that runs windows, linux, and an apple OS (I forget which one) all in partitions. I've played with all of their apple stuff and even they agree, unless you are doing graphic design or some basic stuff, PCs are far and away more versatile. I almost never get viruses and if I do it takes all of 5 minutes to get rid of them, unless my software can't then *GASP* google knows how.

I'm still not clear why you keep going back to water cooling either... I use my PC for gaming, among other things and it isn't water cooled. However if I really wanted to, I could roll over to microcenter and $150 later have a water cooling setup. You can water cool any PC it's in no way indicative of quality. Most custom websites will let you select a water cooling unit for any PC they build.

James404

MH for Life!
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
One of my custom pcs used to be watercooled and let me tell you it was more trouble than it was worth, pumps dying left and right, worrying about leaks and disconnecting plumbing everytime I switched out components, no thanks.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Where did this concept of graphic designers preferring Macs to other platforms come from? I was a professional graphic designer before becoming a producer in digital entertainment, and I assure you - Macs are not what we use.

As Josh has pointed out, all the core software needed in any professional environment is Windows-based, and it's also worth mentioning that all creative software packages (read: Adobe, Autodesk, etc) provide more support and focus to their Windows applications than the Mac versions.

As for the liquid cooling bit... that's like saying the only computers worth buying have transparent cases with multi-colored LEDs. Kinda meaningless as long as there is enough air movement over the hardware.

If you like Macs, great. They are solid pieces of hardware with some really sleek, user-accessible software... if you have no desire to upgrade your computer, ever, and tons of money to throw at Apple. The pricetag on my friend's MacBook was three times my computer, dual monitor, surround sound setup... and I get to upgrade my RAM, video card, etc so that I can continue to work with Maya once game fidelity reaches new requirements.

::Shrug::

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Bose makes some of the worst audio equipment you can legally purchase in the USA.

Just saying that small speaker systems are the equivalent of highly tuned and engineered systems does not make it true. Bose is completely off when it comes to reference audio techniques. Try sitting outside of the 2 seats on the sofa in their demo centers. Does anyone really believe that you can get surround quality sound from a desktop kitchen-style stereo because it has a funky shaped wavebox?

Bravo.gif

I agree 100%. I'm not an audio expert, but I know a little and when somebody tells me that Bose is making top notch audio equipment I feel sick. They still use ancient technology and underpowered speakers with fancy case. Try this read http://www.firstadopter.com/fa/archives/001749.html

And watch this, funniest video about computers in general, from The Onion movie:))))

http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/the-bates-4000/265867

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
i love my pc, built it myself, and built it straight for speed as i am a gamer, and still had over a grand in my pocket compared to if i bought a mac. and been using comp's longer then some voicing opinions on what the greatest one is ;)

Jkedra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The only reason why I pointed out liquid cooled pcs is as I mentioned before, they have enormous hardware components and great graphic.

Getting back to the sound systems, what do you guys think about denon? I have a receiver in my living room and I absolutely love it.
As for bose, it's really the engineering and science that they put into their products. One example is the noise canceling headphones like the QC-15. Sure, you can say that other companies have noise canceling headphones, but none will match the bose technology.

I'll give a good analogy to this:
You walk into best buy looking for an hdmi cable. You see one for 20 bucks and one for 100 bucks. Obviously there's a difference since it costs more. It can be the slightest difference but still matters.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
You are the reason these companies have successful marketing departments. Let me guess, all the cables in your house are "Monster"?

Also, here's an XBOX 360 that is water cooled and has a clear window:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/4390/watercooledxbox360byedipb0.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php%3Ftopic_id%3D26006296&usg=__1roKpizQek--8vpIMUvAG0VU5pI=&h=664&w=600&sz=59&hl=en&start=8&sig2=DbFY8XqHyK5Nv_RXfoJeyA&zoom=1&itbs=1&tbnid=AMjd7q97ohnRRM:&tbnh=138&tbnw=125&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dwater%2Bcooled%2Bps3%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX%26tbs%3Disch:1%26prmd%3Divnsfd&ei=KYdiTbaNFoSClAeX0YTxCw
anyone with half an hour and the ability to read one of the five languages the directions come in can add water cooling to anything, it's not that big a deal.

Or maybe you prefer the bedazzled type of "best":
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...=isch:1&prmd=ivnsfd&ei=94diTffEJIOBlAfjrsHbCw

I'm not sure, which is better? I mean, one is water cooled but the other has over 11,000 Swarovski crystals so it's super expensive. If only someone would water cool the Swarovski XBOX and make my decision easier...

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Man I think OP was just trying to express his happiness with his Mac and the difference HE feels with his PC.

To be honest I love Macs and PC's equally. Preference is going to come down to a person's technical capabilities and taste. With any Apple product you are paying for the design, technical "solidity," and execution in terms of ease of use. Apple software for the creative's (generally speaking are their Forte) are industry best for the mass market. I am talking iMovie, Garageband, etc. So good for you, you love your new Mac.

Some points that I feel are a little ridiculous.
- PC's are crap. We have no idea what system you had or what you were running.
- The monitors on Macs are very nice. There is no denying that, but that is because Apple executes and styles in a special manner because they "know" and scrutinize heavily on its parts to get what the consumers want in terms of look, feel, and execution - IMO this is what really makes them special to the consumer.

Needless to say you can easily acquire all these parts for a PC, just buy an IPS LED lit screen with high resolution and you'll get equal if not better performance (but you may sacrifice aesthetics).

- Liquid Cooled PC's are the best. Just because you have a liquid cooled PC doesn't mean you are spec'd out with the hardware. There are perfectly made high performance gaming PC's without running liquid, nitrogen, etc. It really depends on how YOU make it. Most of the stuff accessible to the likes of Alienware, ABS, etc. give you the customization. Somebody who is not as technically competent will stray away from these because these applications are generally for hardcore gamers or video editors. I can liquid coold my old Compaq Presario 350 if I wanted to, it's just a method of cooling.

- Bose is awesome. To the normal consumer it may be awesome. Once again, you are paying for convenience and design. Noise cancelling technology is pretty widespread and there are better offerings than Bose's Quietcomfort series, although admittedly they are nice in terms of design. To Audiophiles, we all know Bose is definitely not on par with the offerings out there (their car systems are actually okay).

Anyway that was my 2 cents... more like 50 cents with the long post.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I completely agree with aznt. In all honesty it really is hard to compare a mac to any PC because PCs can span a huge range of parts and abilities, while macs are tuned and made well but ultimately limited to what you originally took out of the box. The fact of the matter is that when it comes to speed, you can build a PC that will crush any mac for less money.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
I'll give a good analogy to this:
You walk into best buy looking for an hdmi cable. You see one for 20 bucks and one for 100 bucks. Obviously there's a difference since it costs more. It can be the slightest difference but still matters.

Terrible analogy.

HDMI is a non-active digital format. You can't lose any quality over the cable as it has a CRC on either end when the data hits the box. Monster cable was a good choice if you were using Composite or Component cables. HDMI cables are HDMI cables, the only difference is in the build quality of the components but it will not affect picture or audio quality in any way whatsover.

You can buy the Monster $100 cables, or you can get the $3 cables that Widdy mentioned on the internet. Same cable, just don't go pulling on the cable and expect it to work when you break the cheaper connectors.

This is the only reason I weighed in on this moronic conversation. All you are doing is reinforcing why PC people don't like Macs. Quite frankly, they are not swayed by marketing. Saying that Bose is great, or that liquid cooled PCs are better (????) or that Macs are best is just the same marketing being slung by the companies in question to cover up deficiencies in their products. Just because they say it does not make it true. Do a little research, use your eyes and ears and not your genitals when making product evaluations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: