fjpod

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped in today. On the positive side, the place was a lot cleaner and so were the tanks. There were about a dozen SW tanks. Seemed to have plenty of live rock for sale, $6.99. There was someone older than fifteen in charge of the fish room.

On the negative, very limited livestock, although he was just acclimating a shipment when I got there. No corals or inverts.

The owner indicated a willingness to order something if I wanted it. He told me he has to start small until his business picks up. Really can't expect him to load up his store with no regular customers.

grknyer

Official Lurker
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I don't think staten island will ever get a good lfs for saltwater
You got that right!!! Main reason is the TOLLS!!!!!!! Who in their right mind would pay 13$ cash/12 eazy pass to go to a LFS on SI. I haven't been to Jersey in 3 years so I can't even imagine what it costs(probably 10$ or more) for someone to come in from Jersey now. Second reason is there isn't enough reefers on SI to make it worthwhile so sell corals/fish.

STHILL

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
118   0   0
I don't see much of a difference ,the fish room still the same, the tanks outside the fish room were cloudy blah blah blah....just because they mopped the floor and put new bulbs in the lights to brighten it up don't make it any better

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
i was in the store today.(pet shoppe) the former animal pantry. give the guy a break. he spent two months decontaminating the fish room. the prior owners never even had pre filters in the system , never changed the cartridges or put any money into the place.does anyone on this site know what it takes to start a buisness ? time , capitol ,effort and govt agencys.not to mention the board of health ? a fish order of 50 fish (tropical alone) is over a thousnad dollars or better never mind saltwater and corals. how about the supplies he needs for his tanks and yours. how about payroll , utilities(electric alone)big store big rent. its a family run buisness and if you ask me hes doing a hell of a job to please his customers. you cant please every one at once or instantly. his concerns are to keep his livestock healthy. he also does not do the industry standard of 3-400%mark up. all im saying is give the guy a chance, be patient unless some of you have the couple of tens of thousandsof dollars that he invested to donate to your hobby like he has.(p.s former pet store owner) maybe you could help him out by stopping by and picking up some small stuff , so he can regain some of his capitol and order some of the stuff your looking for. he is also quite happy to special order anyones requests. and its also very refreshing to get a hello ,a smile and a thank you when you visit his store. NICE PEOPLE TO DEAL WITH. stay well and good luck with your tanks.
ok so I take it you're the owner? lol kinda odd you just signed up and your first post is defending a new owner of a store. Kinda made it obvious.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Wile this may be the new owner of the store, of which if he is he should edit his post to come clean please, but I also feel there is a need to give him a chance. It's a tough biz ladies and gentlemen. Give him a few months to make some improvements and changes. It could be a good thing for him to go slow instead of moving at full throttle and putting himself out of business in a few months. So instead of being critical lets be supportive.

STHILL

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
118   0   0
i was in the store today.(pet shoppe) the former animal pantry. give the guy a break. he spent two months decontaminating the fish room. the prior owners never even had pre filters in the system , never changed the cartridges or put any money into the place.does anyone on this site know what it takes to start a buisness ? time , capitol ,effort and govt agencys.not to mention the board of health ? a fish order of 50 fish (tropical alone) is over a thousnad dollars or better never mind saltwater and corals. how about the supplies he needs for his tanks and yours. how about payroll , utilities(electric alone)big store big rent. its a family run buisness and if you ask me hes doing a hell of a job to please his customers. you cant please every one at once or instantly. his concerns are to keep his livestock healthy. he also does not do the industry standard of 3-400%mark up. all im saying is give the guy a chance, be patient unless some of you have the couple of tens of thousandsof dollars that he invested to donate to your hobby like he has.(p.s former pet store owner) maybe you could help him out by stopping by and picking up some small stuff , so he can regain some of his capitol and order some of the stuff your looking for. he is also quite happy to special order anyones requests. and its also very refreshing to get a hello ,a smile and a thank you when you visit his store. NICE PEOPLE TO DEAL WITH. stay well and good luck with your tanks.

So are you the new owner? Your first line in your post says you were in the store today and the time of post was 6:16 am ...

andylee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
As someone with no "skin in the game" (I don't think I could find Staten Island with both car and phone GPS on full blast), I agree with you guys.

I am all for the small business person and even more for the LFS guy. For example, I support Maximum Reef Aquatics and would like to support Aquarium Village if I can ever get out there (both sponsors here).

While all of the poster's points may be valid, it really hurts his credibility if that rather transparent post it really from the owner. I think the message would have been received better received if he introduced himself properly and honestly.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: