Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 05:20 PM
Reefer Ratings: (0 (0%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
I stopped in today. On the positive side, the place was a lot cleaner and so were the tanks. There were about a dozen SW tanks. Seemed to have plenty of live rock for sale, $6.99. There was someone older than fifteen in charge of the fish room.

On the negative, very limited livestock, although he was just acclimating a shipment when I got there. No corals or inverts.

The owner indicated a willingness to order something if I wanted it. He told me he has to start small until his business picks up. Really can't expect him to load up his store with no regular customers.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:29 PM
Official Lurker
Reefer Ratings: (44 (100%)
Friends: (39)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by STHILL View Post
I don't think staten island will ever get a good lfs for saltwater
You got that right!!! Main reason is the TOLLS!!!!!!! Who in their right mind would pay 13$ cash/12 eazy pass to go to a LFS on SI. I haven't been to Jersey in 3 years so I can't even imagine what it costs(probably 10$ or more) for someone to come in from Jersey now. Second reason is there isn't enough reefers on SI to make it worthwhile so sell corals/fish.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:46 AM
Reefer Ratings: (40 (100%)
Friends: (20)
Send a Private Message
I don't see much of a difference ,the fish room still the same, the tanks outside the fish room were cloudy blah blah blah....just because they mopped the floor and put new bulbs in the lights to brighten it up don't make it any better
Old 02-15-2012, 03:04 PM
Reefer Ratings: (71 (100%)
Friends: (97)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by STHILL View Post
I don't see much of a difference ,the fish room still the same, the tanks outside the fish room were cloudy blah blah blah....just because they mopped the floor and put new bulbs in the lights to brighten it up don't make it any better
LMAO gotta call a spade a spade
Old 02-16-2012, 07:25 AM
Reefer Ratings: (71 (100%)
Friends: (97)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish6366 View Post
i was in the store today.(pet shoppe) the former animal pantry. give the guy a break. he spent two months decontaminating the fish room. the prior owners never even had pre filters in the system , never changed the cartridges or put any money into the place.does anyone on this site know what it takes to start a buisness ? time , capitol ,effort and govt agencys.not to mention the board of health ? a fish order of 50 fish (tropical alone) is over a thousnad dollars or better never mind saltwater and corals. how about the supplies he needs for his tanks and yours. how about payroll , utilities(electric alone)big store big rent. its a family run buisness and if you ask me hes doing a hell of a job to please his customers. you cant please every one at once or instantly. his concerns are to keep his livestock healthy. he also does not do the industry standard of 3-400%mark up. all im saying is give the guy a chance, be patient unless some of you have the couple of tens of thousandsof dollars that he invested to donate to your hobby like he has.(p.s former pet store owner) maybe you could help him out by stopping by and picking up some small stuff , so he can regain some of his capitol and order some of the stuff your looking for. he is also quite happy to special order anyones requests. and its also very refreshing to get a hello ,a smile and a thank you when you visit his store. NICE PEOPLE TO DEAL WITH. stay well and good luck with your tanks.
ok so I take it you're the owner? lol kinda odd you just signed up and your first post is defending a new owner of a store. Kinda made it obvious.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:33 PM
Reefer Ratings: (27 (100%)
Send a Private Message
Wile this may be the new owner of the store, of which if he is he should edit his post to come clean please, but I also feel there is a need to give him a chance. It's a tough biz ladies and gentlemen. Give him a few months to make some improvements and changes. It could be a good thing for him to go slow instead of moving at full throttle and putting himself out of business in a few months. So instead of being critical lets be supportive.

www.modeltrainforum.com
Old 02-16-2012, 02:05 PM
Reefer Ratings: (101 (100%)
Friends: (74)
Send a Private Message
Chief,

We are all rooting for the new owner - we want a good LFS here on the Island of Staten to call our own.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please feel free to ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to me, and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...

Check out my 120 upgrade and custom stand & canopy build here.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:08 PM
Reefer Ratings: (27 (100%)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigyankfan View Post
Chief,

We are all rooting for the new owner - we want a good LFS here on the Island of Staten to call our own.

I hear you. Coming from an area with almost the same situation as you are in I wholeheartedly agree.

www.modeltrainforum.com
Old 02-16-2012, 06:44 PM
Reefer Ratings: (40 (100%)
Friends: (20)
Send a Private Message
I hope they do well with the store, I would be very happy to go there and buy the things I need...I was not trying to be a killjoy , I was just stating what I seen
Old 02-16-2012, 07:15 PM
Reefer Ratings: (15 (100%)
Friends: (25)
Send a Private Message
I'll be supportive if the stores prices are reasonable and inline with other businesses otherwise I will continue to avoid animal pantry