Status
Not open for further replies.

richardhmc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Is there such thing as a good LFS in Staten Island? It's pretty sad that we are alone and away from all great other reefers in queens, LI, bronx and we have no source of good reef stuff here.

So where do you get your stuff from?

grknyer

Official Lurker
Rating - 100%
61   0   0

Unfortunately there isn't a decent place on the Island!!! It is really the forgotten borough!!! The members from S.I. on this site have better tanks than the stores mentioned in a previous post(#5)

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I usually go to ocean gallery, aquatic obsession, animals and things for little things and a few others, but not that often as the first three.

You are more than welcome to come along. Drop me a pm with your number, I'll give you a call when I go.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

picod

Reefer Chick
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Agreed- it's real frustrating that there are slim pickins on Staten Island as far as LFSs go. I am always looking at the marketplace to see if people have frags for sale on SI, but unfortunately it seems that most of the time, a bridge will need to be crossed to find anything.
Alex: Thanks for listing those stores. I'd really like to check them out. I have only been to Animals n things, but I feel the condition of their tanks, and dogs and cats is deplorable, so I try not to give them business if I could.
danielle

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
All of the ones that Alex mentioned as well as Reef Encounter in Hackensack and Absolutely Fish in Clifton.

Eric, I also go to those as well as red sand near Ocean gallery, however i find myself going to OG and aquatic obsession the most.

Danielle,I agree with you about animals and things however they do have a sale on their frozen foods and as far as little items ( plumbing, etc ) they are pretty good. But yes their animals are in poor condition.

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
i forgot to mention that Aloha Tropics has a group buy for PE mysis shrimp which is a great deal everyone here on the island should take part in this just for the deal.

PetShopBoy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
None whatsover...

Animal Kingdom is the only one that I know of but they have a very small selection of corals. I've been to Absolutely Fish, Ocean Gallery and Animals and Things on the Jersey side. OG has the biggest selection. Absolutely Fish have $15, $25 and $35 frag tanks so it's great if you are starting out.

Does Aquatic Obsession and Reef Encounter have large selection of corals?

richardhmc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Agreed- it's real frustrating that there are slim pickins on Staten Island as far as LFSs go. I am always looking at the marketplace to see if people have frags for sale on SI, but unfortunately it seems that most of the time, a bridge will need to be crossed to find anything.
Alex: Thanks for listing those stores. I'd really like to check them out. I have only been to Animals n things, but I feel the condition of their tanks, and dogs and cats is deplorable, so I try not to give them business if I could.
danielle

Yup sad that we need to cross bridges to get something. I do the same! I'm always on the marketplace hoping to find someone selling something nearby!

Looks like I need to stop by these places. How long is the drive to ocean gallery?

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I remember 15 years ago Animals and Things was an awesome store. The guy that ran the fish section left and now there is some 15 year old kid running it. Last time I was there the small amount of fish and corals were all sick, and a lot of them mislabled.

TonyHNY

Back from a break
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Wow, it is $11 to cross over SI? That is so unfair how they dont do that among other boroughs....They do have toll bridges but there are also free alternate routes to other boroughs.... I dont think there is one for SI. And even going from NJ it cost $8...

if you know how to pick them out (quite a large selection of healthy AND unhealthy stock), Fishtown USA has quite an amount to choose from. I think their prices are reasonable since I just stocked up with some small colonies myself....
Kissena aquariums has 3 for $24 and 3 for $60 frags. They are definitely beginner's corals and nothing fancy....
Manhattan Aquariums is just great to visit....Frags were 3 for $35 but there are SO MANY colonies to choose from. They were very pricey, but excellent quality....

i guess for $11 bucks, you can spend an entire day exploring all of them :) And you just have to say to yourself that since you've spent $11 bucks, you have to get your $ worth of corals to cover that crazy toll....

OOtzie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Exotic aquarium on cropsey ave between 19th an 18th ave(s) brooklyn, go over the bridge and get off at the 14th ave exit take cropsey up for a couple of blocks and he's right there. Awesome fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: