Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
The trip to Ocean gallery is about 20 to 25 minutes from the end of victory blvd. Aquatic obsessions has a good selection, not large, but good compared to animal kingdom.

The toll is not that much for residents of Staten Island, but it's a toll either way.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I thought SI people get a discount on the bridges. And it isn't that far from Brooklyn.
They do get discounts. But it still sucks that you gotta pay money to go home everytime you leave the island. I was doing a job in BK over a year ago and paid 18.00 a day in tolls, just to go through that landfill.

richardhmc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
yup. I forgot about tolls too! what a pain it is to live here! the tolls are prob cause of all the business stuff that has to run through staten island to reach NYC. used alot and it makes a good source of money. in the mornings all you see are trucks from all types of companies on the staten island expressway headed onto the bridge.

PetShopBoy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The trip to Ocean gallery is about 20 to 25 minutes from the end of victory blvd. Aquatic obsessions has a good selection, not large, but good compared to animal kingdom.

The toll is not that much for residents of Staten Island, but it's a toll either way.

I stopped by Aquatic Obsessions yesterday after learning about them on this thread. It's the best we have near us. If you want variety, hit Manhattan Aquarium on a Sunday when there is ample parking.

miked

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Exotic Aquarium has good stuff, but be sure to call first to make sure they are open. Trekked into Brooklyn twice to find out there were closed.

There is also a pet store right by the Library on 18th ave and 86th street in Brooklyn that has some good fish and supplies. He does not have a big selection of coral, but he is a nice guy and prices are really reasonable.

PIOTR

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
First would like to say Hi Alex, Danielle,Richardhmc and all the reefers on Island. Come on guys it is not that bed. Strategy, strategy ,strategy. Forget about storses if you need good frags. Do remember that best staf comes from members on this site. Last fri I met with three members in NJ in different locations and went to Absolutly fish in Clifton with my douthers all in 4 hours. Remember to fill up your tank on you way back home with cheap gas. If you fill up big tank then the bridge is like free.I spend 150 $ that fri and brought home 7 frags 90$ and 4'' crocea clam from absolutly fish 60 $
The store is nice and clean but bit expensive. If you have 500$ and need 4 big colonis then drive to Absolutly fish they did not had anything special in thaeir frag tanks. Plus three great people and their incredible tanks I met that fri. Memories to remember.

bigyankfan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
226   0   0
Animal Pantry always had the wall on the right side for saltwater but their selection is hit or miss and most of the staff are not that knowledgeable. The older gentlemen with the white hair doesn't seem to be there anymore.

STHILL

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
118   0   0
HMMMM animal pantry.... ill have to check that out but last time i was there (months ago) and any other time i was there they had like 4 fish and want more then top dollar.. and the kids there dont have the best knowledge, maybe they are making a change.... it would be nice to have a LFS to go to on the island but i think the best stuff comes from the vendors here on MR....

dacaptain78

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Animal Pantry always had the wall on the right side for saltwater but their selection is hit or miss and most of the staff are not that knowledgeable. The older gentlemen with the white hair doesn't seem to be there anymore.

Yeah, the old guy Joe was good. He had his old school ways, but knew his trade. I had not went into Animal Pantry for quite some time, but dropped in two weeks ago and saw a few new salt water tanks up and running. The fish they had in stock did not look too healthy, and they only had a few pieces of coral for sale.

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
just went to redsand on sunday out in jersey and it is a frag lovers dream , plenty of hardy frags good sizes and prices its definitely worth the trip out there especialy on sundays!! no traffic and the gas is cheaper so you can fill it up lol, yeah i cant wait to go back there and im from brooklyn

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
hey about that brooklyn layout! the one on 65th and 8th is called royal aqua , they have ok stuff i have no more fish from there they all died, so im a bit iffy on there livestock, and warning be made!! stay away from there live rock!! its a dark and muddy pit and the floors there are all wet so its a bit of a hazard i only go there for salt and frozen foods nothing else.

and the one on 18th ave has nice livestock always a good selection but a bit pricey especialy on the live rock, but i have a 90% survival rate from what i have bought there.

STHILL

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
118   0   0
went to Animal pantry on sat, seem to be tryin to make a change with the saltwater stuff
They had very few frags/corals (i mean like 6) copperband butterfly in with the frags??
They had more tanks set up outside of the back room, more fish than usual, had nice yellow tangs on sale for $30 looked nice and fat, so im going to check back in from time to time to see if they keep tryin to improve,
The tank with liverock was nothing at all to look at very cloudy, all the pieces seem to be extremely large.basketball size i think the tank said $6 a pound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: