64Ivy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of July '11.

July-11-Reeftank.jpg

And since the tank has been running nearly 15 years now (nearly 5 in its present incarnation), obviously a build thread in the traditional sense would be silly. But a couple of members wanted me to show it and do my best to answer any questions in its regard. A few thumbnails first:

Tank type: Acrylic.
Dimensions: 96"x36"x36".
Sea Salt: Reef Crystals.
Methodology: Berlin. Barebottom.
Circulation: 3 x Reeflo Hammerheads
Internal Flow: 6 x Tunze 6205 + 3 x Tunze 7095 Controllers.
Wavemaker: George Fischer Model EA-21 Actuator Valve unit powered by an Iwaki MD100RLT.
Lighting: 3 x Sfiligoi 400W Twin Infinity Pendants. 6 x Sfiligoi ACLS Electronic Ballasts. 6 x Ushio 400W 14K SE MHs.
Skimmer: H & S A250-2x1260
CR: MTC Pro Cal-1
Kalk Mixer & Doser: BRS.
Ozonizer: Red Sea Aquazone.
Chiller(s) 2 x 1/2 hp. Piggybacked.
Biodenitrator: Korallin 1501
GAC and GFO Reactors: MRC.

Anyway, thanks for asking and I'll do my best to answer any questions.

polywise

OLD SCHOOL-ish
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I was thoroughly impressed with the sizes of some rather difficult types of corals that were growing in the tank. I can also say, when sitting in the room the tank is in, you get a real peaceful feeling. 64Ivy has something great in motion with his system.

Jim C.

64Ivy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very much appreciated. For those who don't know me, rest assured there WILL be pictures to come. One problem right now is that I'm on vacation and the wife will sometimes get a little bee in her bonnet when I'm doing reef stuff instead of...oh, let's just say, "Coming outside and doing things with the rest of the family". Don't exactly remember THAT mentioned in the vows but I'll get a few more to you when the opportunity presents itself. I've catalogued things fairly well through the years.

Wow how big r those colonies??

The largest is the monti cap ("Idaho Grape"). I'd say it is easily more than two feet across and one of my first orders of business when I get back home is to frag it waaaaay back. The next largest is the teal piece on the bottom left. I've never gotten an ID on it so I just call it 'The Hotel'. This is because it's where my small shoal of Threadfin Cardinals always gather to sleep and even hang out during the day. Obviously, I'll have to cut that back a little soon too. And finally, there's my Red Planet:

Red-Planet-7-11.jpg

('She stepped out for coffee')

Anyway, this has already been fragged back since the picture because it was shading out the five or six other pieces below it. At its peak, I'd say it too was over 20".

Very nice!

Have you thought about using Vortechs?

I see you've got a really clean look and the ability to remove the wet end of the Vortech for cleaning is nice. You can get them back to factory black and they would blend in a lot better than the current powerheads you have.

I really like Vortechs and have a pair of MP-10s on my 40g 'LPS' tank ('More on this tank later'). But as I already have quite a substantial investment made in the Tunzes, and they're also working very well for me, I'm going to go with them awhile longer. As far as the blending in factor, the Tunzes get a bit closer to factory black when I vinegar bathe them. Obviously, it has been awhile.

Thanks again.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: