twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The CADlights Durso should be here today as well as my BRS order containing all my SCH80 plumbing and DIY screen netting kit for the top.

savage

Reef for life. .
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
What are the dimensions of your sump?? Think of ordering one not happy with the Cadlight one I have...

Last edited:

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS Haul came in, what is not pictures is the DIY Screen Top

YF2Wn.jpg

Here are my 2 pipes that go inside the overflow box put together

hVznv.jpg

Now for my questions. There are two of them.

1.) I ordered sch80 bulkheads but they do not fit. I have to use the ABS type. Any problems with that?
Further, CADLIGHTS gave me one set of ABS bulkheads and I ordered another set from BRS. I got them mixed up and cannot remember which set came from which vendor. One has a more flat top, the other more dome like. Here are the pictures, which set would you use?

Dof94.jpg

nBufl.jpg

2.) I hopes to use a bushing at the bottom of the 1/2" bulkhead to transition to a 3/4" slip. I messed up and ordered a Schedule 80 Threaded Reducing Busing 3/4" x 1/2". Other then the 3/4" side not being slip as I like the 1/2" side is not large enough to thread around the 1/2" bulkhead. What product do I need for this transition.. Pics of the wrong piece I ordered.

eqnl7.jpg

LsswS.jpg

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
As far as the bullheads are concerned, I would use the dome ones. They are probably the brs ones and look like the ones I've always used with no problems. You are going to have to use a special glue when you put ABS and PVC together. I can't remember the name off hand but its not the normal PVC glue. I think schedule 80 is a bit of an overkill, its mostly used in high pressure applications but at least its not white lol

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks fishman1069, overkill yes, sleek when contrasting the inside of a white painted cabinet, yes!

As the the ABS/PVC connection I am hoping to find a threaded fitting to do so thereby negating the need for a different type of glue/cement.

savage

Reef for life. .
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Thank twan for the sump infor.. as far as your bulkhead the dome one are for cadlight as for the glue weld-on what I used as for your pics above it look like you have it..Now your adapters go give BRS a call anytime i need to do any pumping modifications they are a very helpful and supply me with my needs..... Good luck on your build...

Last edited:

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking @ Mounting Bracket

I have long since chosen a Manhattan Reef Member make me a custom bracket that I will then secure through the heatsink. This item will be painted to match the wall. Cords will run through the wall and be hidden not down the wall hidden by the molding. Let's look at the original design by[/b]saltwaterinbrooklyn[/b]

a8SYi.jpg

8FHo9.jpg

Utlhg.jpg

Now lets take a quick look at how I would like to alter these. I would like the hollow portion of the stem to be used to route wires (grey arrow with black outline) and I would like the bracket to attach to the back of the AI light via a hinge (black rectangle, 4 red dots) to flip up and out of the way during tank maintenance.
I did this quick mock up, is it uneccesary to have the hinge since I will have these high enough AWL to not have them interfere with tank maintenance? I for sure want to route the wires though. Open to all thoughts on this.

O27Ey.jpg

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After taking a trip to lowes I found the connection to be used @ the bulkhead.
I now understand why I was so confused. *I thought I was threading to the exterior dimensions of the bulkhead, ya know where the nut is.
Silly me didnt realize I was supposed to be finding a transition fitting for the inside.

I have this right now, please confirm:

1" drain bulkhead to 1" slip & 1/2" return bulkhead to 3/4" slip.
4mint.jpg

Will be painted black to match the bulkhead with the rest of the plumbing being gray sch 80.

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks fishman.

Now I have my sump sorted, all electronic equipment sorted, plumbing sorted and rock is about to hit its 3rd week in the bins.
Some misc items are coming next week like my Pinpoint Salinity Monitor, Hanna Phosphate checker.
I would love to wire up all the equipment to the panel but that has to wait till the tank is sitting on the stand.

I hope by then my cycle will be completed in the bins.
I have not done a water change in them yet. 3 week ammonia, nitrite, nitrate will be done Sunday 3/18 to see where we are at.

Last pieces are new tank from cadlights, stand from tonyT, and custom light mounting arms.
3/31 is the latest I want to be wet by. :TOM

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine Depot Haul. Not shown is the Salifert Ammonia Aquarium Test Kit & Hanna Checker Phosphate PO4 Colorimeter that will be here next week.

OpdIo.jpg

Now I can finish my Salt Water Mixing Station

CsFTd.jpg

fDWt9.jpg

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometime this week then I will remove those pieces that need scrubbing and do so in a separate RODI filled bucket. It is only 3 small spots after further inspection.
After scrubbing and swishing I will then place them back in the cycling buckets.

Another question, when do I change this dirty water that the rock is cycling in?
Not until nitrite goes to zero and all I am left with is nitrate?

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week 3 Cycling

I am now using Salifert Test kits for Nitrite and Nitrate.
I am still using AP Test kit for Ammonia till my Salifert arrives.
I have not started testing phosphates but will do so after the rock makes it to the display.
I now have a Pinpoint Salinity monitor that I will begin use next week.

wcBND.jpg

It looks like we are out of the Ammonia stage and deep in the nitrite stage with nitrate through the roof as well.
When do I change this dirty water that the rock is cycling in?
Not until nitrite goes to zero and all I am left with is nitrate?

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just a note from my draft drawing above the stem that mounts to the wall is a hollow cylinder.
This allows the wires (black and grey arrow) to run down its center.
I am not sure if it is worth it to integrate the hinges to flip them up and out of the way for tank maintenance.
I probably should ditch that in favor of making something height adjustable. Thought?

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call into CADLights today.

The tank is slated to ship Wednesday. I requested pictures of the tank prior to shipping or I would flat out refuse the package. No use in him shipping it to me if it is not 100% like I asked. This is a very simple request but again one I made with the 1st tank that was never fulfilled (pics prior to shipping).

I also demanded my CC be refunded the $200 for the stand that I decided not to purchase. This is the 3rd week in a row I have not been refunded that amount.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: