twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my non existent Ammonia reading maybe mine/kit fault.
Lets take a look at the test kit instructions.

dAbYf.jpg

So add the 1st packet, shake, wait, then the 2nd packet & shake/wait. OK, moving on.

wa2YG.jpg

But wait all the packets are the same so I guess the instructions call for two of the same packet added to the vial at different times. OK, moving on.

VCsrs.jpg

But wait the rear leads me to believe there are two different ammonia packets to be adding since the warnings for each are different.

Problem is in the sleeve is only one kind of reagent for Ammonia. I am stumped. Here is a link to the kit:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=14740

Guess time to buy another test kit while I wait for my salifer kit from BRS.

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some detective work about my test kit. *I ordered from here:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...fm?pcatid=14740

When googling a little while ago looking to see if my kit was missing anything (namely the 2nd reagent for the ammonia test) I find this link that is selling a refill kit. *And what do you know................the picture shows 2 reagents:

31Pd...L500_AA300_.jpg

My kit was sealed when I got it. *So why in the hell would DR F&S sell a kit that advertises being able to run an ammonia test but only selling 1/2 the reagents to run the test. *Seems I should call their customer service line.

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update.
Called drsfostersmith and they are shipping me a refill kit free of charge that will have both reagents.
Getting Salifert test kits from here on out to benchmark against.

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$620 used including shipping is what I paid.
One unit was purchased in January, the other in October.
Perfect condition. B)

UDOil.jpg

s6PIr.jpg

ba1AV.jpg

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the right packets for the Instant Ocean Test Kit wont be to me for days & the Salifert kits I want to order are part of a larger order in 2 weeks.........so I stopped by the LFS and got an API test kit to test my ammonia.

One container is 8+

wkxvm.jpg

The other is 5-6

OW67Y.jpg

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank/Skimmer
Spoke with Eddie, tank is due to me today with completed return lines along with the skimmer.
I am taking 1/2 a day off from work to accept delivery later today.
What did not make it in the shipment was the custom acrylic cover for the overflow box and the durso pipe. He is sending those separate via express mail. I guess those items were not completed / dry before FEDEX came. I also wonder if any bulkheads are coming with this. Fingers crossed nothing comes scratched/shattered/chipped.

Stand
Spoke with Tony_T and he hopes to have time to start the stand next weekend (3/16).

Sump
Tracking shows it arriving Monday 3/12/12.

Light Mounting
Waiting to see what new design saltwaterinbrooklyn comes up with or I might order his standard unit shown elsewhere in this thread.

Plumbing
TBD

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will speak with them about the return.
Could I run 3/4" up to the 1/2" bulkhead then use a 3/4" to 1/2" adapter and call it a day?
Half my run from the bulkhead up would be reduced in size.
How would this effect my flow?

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Im not sure, but its gotta reduce it some. Is it possible to drill it bigger yourself? I know you spent good money on the tank and they should take it back and send you a new one, the way you ordered it, but it would be a hell of alot quicker to drill it and get it done with.

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or I can take the chance and drill out that 1/2" hole to 3/4".

But now with the overflow in the way that would have to be done with the tank upside down...........and if a sucessfull hole is the result maybe then the 3/4" bulkhead will not fit against the wall or against the 1' bulkhead (hoping to use sch80).

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the final question is what would my flow loss be using an Eheim 1260 with 1/2" versus 3/4".

This is so frustrating.

savage

Reef for life. .
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I will speak with them about the return.
Could I run 3/4" up to the 1/2" bulkhead then use a 3/4" to 1/2" adapter and call it a day?
Half my run from the bulkhead up would be reduced in size.
How would this effect my flow?

I will go with 3/4" to 1/2" adapter and call it a day.. Nice tank...

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok and the Eheim 1260 does 635 gph wide open which is probably perfect for 3/4".
Running that through the 1/2" means 450gph for a loss of 185gph (29.13%).

savage

Reef for life. .
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I guess the final question is what would my flow loss be using an Eheim 1260 with 1/2" versus 3/4".

This is so frustrating.

Get 2 adapter one for inlet return and another one outlet return you should have no problem...

twan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will go with 3/4" to 1/2" adapter and call it a day.. Nice tank...

You mean run 3/4 below and 1/2 from the bulkhead up?

If there was other problems with the tank I would send it back.
I dont know if they will compensate me for the change with a partial refund but that is the route I am going to try.

Shipping back the tank at this point is not so easy. One of the provisions for setting up the new tank with the wife was it be done before the baby gets here...........and we are 5 weeks max away from that! :champagne

savage

Reef for life. .
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Ok and the Eheim 1260 does 635 gph wide open which is probably perfect for 3/4".
Running that through the 1/2" means 450gph for a loss of 185gph (29.13%).

question ??? With a bigger a pipe won't you lose water pressure ??? With a smaller diameter pipe water that travel in a smaller diameter resulting in more pressure resulting in more flow????

savage

Reef for life. .
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
My panworld pump rated at 1100gph and i have 1" inlet and outlet and I'm using 1" to 3/4" adapter for my return..

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: